More people need to vote

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Michele Travis profile image67
    Michele Travisposted 12 years ago

More people  need to vote.  If we want to change what is going on in the U.S.A. more of us need to vote!  The statistics are horrible.  Why don't people vote?   

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_peop … l_election

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Probably because they can't get to the polls due to the Tea Party holding them hostage in their homes while Bush looks on and laughs savagely.

Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We are not that stupid.  Not all of us anyway.

2. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think attendance at the polling station should be compulsory. Once you are there you can certainly abstain. But at least you are taking an action instead of apathy.

1. gregas profile image82
        gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Still, there is that one little thing, know what you are voting for, or against, whatever the case. A vote just so you can say you voted can be as bad as NO vote at all, maybe worse. With Internet access these days, there is no reason people can't take a little time to research what their votes can do. My opinion. Greg

3. Deborah Brooks profile image62
      Deborah Brooksposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I vote every time.. it is important you are right. If you don't vote you don't need to complain... I agree with you totally.

2. Joelipoo profile image77
    Joelipooposted 12 years ago

It is ridiculous how low the numbers are when it comes to voting.  Far too many people believe that their vote doesn't count.  Some people are just too lazy to go out and vote on election day.  Even worse are the millions of people who aren't even registered because they are simply that apathetic.  We can't really control if they vote or not because that is their own choice.  It just bothers me when people don't vote and then complain about who gets elected.

That is very true.  But, even one vote counts, history has shown us that.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So do you also feel that even one fake vote counts? As in illegally added to the numbers?

We need to work harder to make sure dead people's ID's are not stolen, that votes are counted accurately,  I know it is difficult to do, but what is the  point of not voting at all?

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

If the choice is "staying home" and "voting for one jerk or another"... I'm gonna choose the hot cocoa.

1. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was with Evan on this one untill Obama said he would veto Sopa now I might manage to drag myself over there. The only other reason would be if someone terrfying like Santorum wins the nomination.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your hatred of SOPA is more powerful than your love of freedom?

He signed NDAA. He's dead to me.

It is very good that you do not forget what he has done.  People have to remember everything the president does,  not just one thing!!

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

Is your hatred of SOPA even greater than your hatred of warfare?

He's had 3 years to end the wars.

Instead he's started 3 more and hasn't even ended the Iraq war.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60

Is your hatred of SOPA greater than BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN BAILOUTS?

4. Evan G Rogers profile image60

Is your hatred of SOPA greater than your understanding of economics?

Making it ILLEGAL to NOT own health insurance is a BAD thing.

5. Evan G Rogers profile image60

and finally, have you realized that RON PAUL speaks out relentlessly against internet regulation IN ALL FORMS?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6058013_f248.jpg

4. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 12 years ago

We need more people to vote, that's true. But, more important, we need people to vote that know what they are voting fo. They need to research and understand what they are voting for and not go put their marks on a ballot just so they can say "I voted". It is the peoples right and responsibility to vote, but it is also their responsibility to know what they are voting for or against. There are too many people that vote for something just because of what they heard or saw in the media or because a friend or relative said such and such was the way to vote. Really, those kinds of votes we DON'T need. Just know what you are voting for. Greg

exactly!  voters can even write it down on a piece of paper so they don't forget when they vote.   They can also contact the person who is running for office to let him or her know why they are not voting for them.  Let them know we can remember what we hired them to do. And we can also fire them.  They need to know.

5. Perspycacious profile image62
    Perspycaciousposted 12 years ago

Top 10 reasons eligible voters fail to vote:
    #10 - Didn't know there was an election going on.
    #9  - I heard they check Selective Service Cards.
    #8  - I went to the barbershop but nobody was voting at that pole.
    #7  - My candidate won last time and disgraced me!
    #6  - I would have, but only politicians are running.
    #5  - I'm not old enough to vote, so I joined the Army instead.
    #4  - My state always gives all its votes to the other party.
    #3  - I will be working that day, and the salary left over isn't enough to pay the bus fare to get there.
    #2  - I couldn't decide which one I disliked the most.
    #1  - My school didn't teach me to read, so I can't read the ballot.

#11 was almost a tie with #10, and it was "My wife didn't tell me who to vote for."

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Republicans always vote. They tow the party line no matter what. Democrats are lazy, and don't always bother. Plus the vote is being taken out of college campuses, and that will affect the youth vote, as most aren't allowed to have cars on campus until Jr. or Sr. year. Older citizens who don't drive anymore or haven't needed to update their passports truly may not have a piece of photo ID, so their voices won't be heard either.

our government is making it more difficult for people to vote,  that has to be stopped before it gets worse.  Voting should be more then 1 day.  It should be on College Campus, I don't know how to get it to seniors but there must be someway to do that.

6. dadibobs profile image59
    dadibobsposted 12 years ago

Apathy in politics accross the world now, even here in the UK. just over 60% voted in our last general election.

So, people protest but don't vote.  Does that make any sense?  There are so many people angry about what is going on, but they don't vote?  Ok,  I am crazy but I will always believe every vote counts

7. dadibobs profile image59

only half of my comment appeared lol

8. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 12 years ago

Another problem is, that a lot of people don't believe in the electoral college. It should be the votes of the people, NOT the electoral college. Most don't trust that vote. Nor do I. Greg

I agree with you.  One person one vote.  We should not have an electoral college.  That makes no sense.

9. dadibobs profile image59

I think the apathy comes from the lack of information with regards to the politicians themselves. All we hear is from the media, and it's usually tainted one way or another.
    We don't know who we are voting for, and we are well informed enough to know that scandals, affairs, funds discrepancies all add to our lack of respect towards our politicians.

If we could see the human side of our politicians, the flesh and blood side, then maybe we could see them as people and not just media manufactured yes men, who plaster our tv screens and newspapers.

A possible solution could be the creation of a single non affiliated news service, who could honestly report on each parties successes and failures.
    Without the millions of pounds/dollars spent, you have to wonder how well the fore runners would do.

That will probably never happen.

10. profile image55
    SanXuaryposted 12 years ago

Who would I vote for? I do not choose the already picked candidates and choices made for me. None of these choices are worth anything and voting for them is the same as promoting them. Almost all of them are filthy rich snobs who maintain a conflict of interest and profit from their position. They have forty years of already proven failure and crimes they are never held accounted for. Most of all they represent no one and all their finances are not even attained at the local or even state level. I will vote on any petitions passed by people that limits that power and forces them to actually represent anyone in this country. Until a real party shows up and a candidate who is in it for the people shows up I will not participate in this fraud democratic process. To participate would make me a hypocrite and as evil as them. There is not one institution in this country left that can be counted on to do the things it was intended to do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)