is Mitt done ......?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (36 posts)
  1. steveamy profile image61
    steveamyposted 12 years ago

is Mitt done ......?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The news reports earlier said many votes in Florida had been cast before the odd events of the past few days. Plus, we still have primaries in blockbuster states ahead of us - New York, California, Texas and other states have more delegate votes at stake than the primaries we've seen so far.  This is a very odd Primary year - it started out way early and has had a marathon series of debates.

The Iowa flip-flop is puzzling. The night of the vote,  it was made clear there were no recounts in Iowa Caucus voting. of course, they had the rather entertaining Carolyn & Edith thing going on.

steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

but still the number of "early ballot" votes is a small percentage overall

1. 910chris profile image75
          910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That man still has a lot more "flip-flopping" left in him!! You just watch and see!!

2. turnleftthenright profile image62
        turnleftthenrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They need to scrap Iowa...they always pick a loser and it never sets the tone for the primary.  The caucus system is so antiquated...they need to go to a straight primary.  Keep in mind folks..that only 4 to 7% of Republican voters even vote in primaries...usually it is the activists that show up.  The final outcome is never representative of the party--John McCain is an example of this.  He never broke through the conservative right wing of the party.  That's why he pick Palin...she saved his campaign by appealing to the right wing conservatives that abandoned him.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

To be more direct in answering - no, I don't think he's out yet. But the roller coaster ride the GOP has taken since the Fall means nobody can predict the next surprise.

I noticed the same thing - best I can figure is that they make predictions based on the demographics of the precincts that reported early, the results of early voting, and analysis of exit polls. (I just noticed typos in my earlier comments - I should avoid doing this on a mobile device. Sigh.)

3. JamesPoppell profile image72
      JamesPoppellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it is too early to count anyone out. These four contenders seem to be holding on to the bitter end. So, to answer your question, I do not think Mitt is out but I think Florida will be an interesting ride.

4. turnleftthenright profile image62

Paul says he is in till the end but to what end?  A third party run would be more to his liking...if he gets enough delegates as a candidate for the GOP, he could use the delegates as leverage to include some of his talking points in the platform.  In brokered conventions of the past, candidates use delegates as leverage to get party positions, congressional appointments, platform statements or even use them to bully their way to the VP spot.  I don't think Paul will get enough to leverage, unless Santorum drops out and maybe he will pick up his delegates but most likely they will go to Newt by default.  Paul's delegates are too committed to him to go anywhere.

5. Rock_nj profile image91
      Rock_njposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mitt Romney is damaged from the South Carolina loss.  It certainly shows that in the general election, he will have trouble getting traction in more conservative states (he will win them, but will he get big margins?).  But as far as the Republican nomination goes, the math is still on Romney's side to win.  So far, not a single moderate state has voted.  Once they do, Romney might start running the board and lock up the nomination.  But Gingrich is keeping it interesting.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

Gingrich's big win in South Carolina is a game changer, but it's way too early to count Romney out.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is yet to see what happens when his tax returns are made public. Of course he doesn't want the public to see that he is a greedy, rich vulture capitalist.

However, Gingrich's win leads to a strong indication that he would win in Florida and Georgia.  I think Romney will go thru a dry spell for the next three primaries before winning anything of significance.  He is weak in the South...which is Gingrich's stronghold due to his right wing viewpoints as he appeases the Tea Party.  However, keep in mind he will switch positions, like Romney would, to pander to voters in each state.

3. Perspycacious profile image64
    Perspycaciousposted 12 years ago

I am reminded of the saying that "You can't keep a good man down!"  There is a lot of fight in the old boy yet.  And remember similar to what another pundit once quipped:  Obama is no Ted Kennedy.

I don't agree that he is greedy or a vulture. Our country was founded on principles such as capitalism (which basically means we have the right to own a business or earn our own money, such as we writers do). I do think, in the environment of the current economy, any rich person risks being bashed by those who are struggling. Many 'rich' people have let down society. I don't think he is one of them, nor do I think he's hiding anything.  I wouldn't want to share my tax returns, either - they're my personal business.

Obama may not be a Ted Kennedy but he is closer to a Ted Kennedy than any GOP candidate running for office or not running for office.  I would say Romney and Newt can claim they are closer to Nixon and Spiro Agnew.

4. Hubpage Gal profile image57
    Hubpage Galposted 12 years ago

Politics just as law is based on precedents or what has happened before except if a change in policies is needed.  The precedent is that every presidential hopeful who won the South Carolina primaries has went on to earn the party's nomination for the presidential bid.  Newt Gingrich won in South Carolina but the Republicans are not too keen on Gingrich because of his private marital affairs.

The Republicans are not keen on Mitt Romney either because they think that his health care plan is similar to President Obama.  The good thing about Massachusetts of which Romney is governor is that its citizens should be proud to have almost 98 per cent of its inhabitants on a health care plan.

The Republicans think that the only one who could have raffle with Obama would have been Huntsman who bowed out and gave endorsements to one of the other candidates. 

I think that Newt Gingrich as a former Speaker of the House would be the Republican's best bet to run against Obama.  The whole Republican's bid for the presidency is akin to a circus with Herman Cain and his mistresses and Santorum and his vests so I suppose it is now a guessing game about who gets the Republican nomination. 

Again, I think that Newt Gingrich having won the South Carolina's primaries got the best chance to get that sought after Republican nomination for presidency.

5. turnleftthenright profile image62
    turnleftthenrightposted 12 years ago

Keep in mind that Newt did not make the ballot in Virginia...which means Mitt will be almost assured of those delegates and has the money to go to the end.  I think Santorum and Paul will most assuredly drop out after Florida--since campaigning there is extremely expensive and they will be tapped out to even compete.  It will be a two horse race after Florida.

steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unless we get a late entrant .... a draft Jeb Bush movement??

1. turnleftthenright profile image62

Even Jeb would not draft Jeb.  Jeb is also a weak candidate due to his namesake.  Like they say..."walk away...there is nothing to see here".

1. Pcunix profile image89
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think this country could survive another Bush.

2. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I heard that Newt didn't get on the ballot in MO, either. If Newt gets the GOP nod, we'll get 4 more years of Obama, and actually, I think BO is a safer choice than Newt.

Mitt is releasing his tax returns on Tuesday, so we'll see what that shows. As long as he didn't go anything illegal, I really don't care how much money he has or what he does with it.

He did not get on the ballot in Missouri, Ohio and Virginia.  The bad news for Newt is that Missouri's non binding primary will be on 2/7/2012...so he will have to clinch before then--thus stopping the Gingrich steam roller.  Plus the number of delegates up for grabs in Virginia is 49...of which he will get zero.  He needs 1144 to clinch the nomination and prevent a brokered convention.  Newt is behind the 8 ball...so for all of you who were pulling for Newt...his chances are not good that he can win since he will be not be on the ballot of three states thus missing out on 167 delegates in all three states.

2. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do. He off-shores his money in the Cayman Islands to avoid US taxes. To me, that is totally un-American.
        Not patriotic at all!

1. habee profile image93

You need to read up on this, LMC. Did you know that many folks' pension funds are invested offshore - including the largest public pension fund in the U.S.? Most of Mitt's offshore money is in an IRA, and when he withdraws it, he'll have to pay 35% on it. If he followed the law, he shouldn't be excoriated for following our tax laws. Do the laws need to be changed? Yes!

1. lovemychris profile image77

Well, that's nice for him. And will he advocate changing the laws? Getting rid of loop-holes his set can take advantage of? No--he won't.
            He won't do that, and in fact, will give them MORE free-bee's.

Which he will get by cutting from those really struggling. This is the legacy he left in Massachusetts...and the reason he had his people destroy his records, IMO.

He is a complete 1%, and governs for them. Them, and Bibi Netanyahu.

Anyone But Obama, the ABO's. God Help Us.

3. habee profile image93

Paul says he's in it to the bitter end.

...the end will be bitter.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image59
          Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, he could easily win

States don't apportion delegates according to "winner takes all", they do it by vote.

In caucus states, Ron Paul has an EASY chance of winning the vast majority of delegates.

Also, California & New York consist of about 23% of what is needed to win, and they are open primary/caucus states that are largely democratic. Now that Huntsman is out, they will likely go towards Paul

Also, now that Perry gave up, Paul is the only candidate from Texas, another 12%.

6. Evan G Rogers profile image59
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

IF you think that Mitt is done, then you don't understand how a primary system works.

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Mitt will beat Newt and then lose to Barrack.

The fact that he can't beat Newt just shows that he doesnt have the conservative base.

Mitt is 'Obama light', and that isnt going to win the Oval Office unless the economy take another MAJOR downturn.

In other news... New England will win the Superbowl and Snooki will get married this year

1. lovemychris profile image77

Mitt is nothing like Obama, IMO. He wants to overturn Roe v Wade, and give himself another big tax break.

Obama wants the tax breaks to go to those less fortunate,
      and he supports a woman's right to choose her own destiny.

Polar opposites. If you aks me (s/o to Russshhhhh)

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Compared to Ron Paul and Newt, Mitt is Obama-like

Plus, as Mitt is a Mormon, and as Obama is Muslim, both are outside of mainstream Christianity smile

8. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Want's the Cayman Islands the place that Newt took his girlfriends to during his marriages?

9. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Hey! That's a lie! He said so. Besides, "character" doesn't matter anymore.

Cheating on your wife, and being a "draft-dodger" is de-riguer now.

And Newt is the one who drafted that memo to "say no to anything Obama", no matter who gets hurt...he does not deserve the position of POTUS.

LOTUS, ok. Lame-O Of The Underworld Set.

10. steveamy profile image61
    steveamyposted 12 years ago

So will Mitt's tax disclosure "finish" the job Newt started in South Carolina?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)