jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

How often do you give the benefit of the doubt?

1. KellyPittman profile image80
    KellyPittmanposted 4 years ago

We often times judge a book by it's cover, but how often do we allow ourselves to look deeper than that?

1. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Too often.  I almost never take anything at face value.  I'm always reading between the lines or looking for deeper meanings or motives.  But all too often I also trust  or "give the benefit of the doubt" about someone or something only to have it come back and bite me the backside later on.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image59
      uncorrectedvisionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We have two complementing (maybe many more but caffeine deprivation addled brain just won't work) aphorisms.  "Never judge a book by its cover" and "Patience is a virtue."

Seems to me if we are to be virtuous we must be not judge a book by its cover.  In time a person will reveal his nature.  One must listen and observe.  Those of low character and despicable nature usually, though not always, reveal themselves quickly.

This is not, sadly, always true and so other bits of wisdom -  "Trust God but tie your camel," leaps to mind, maybe "Trust but verify" would be a more contemporary and American way of saying it - come to mind.  Good people are worth our time and or guarded and cautious trust.  When discovered, one good man is worth the whole of Sodom.

3. perfectperception profile image60
      perfectperceptionposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I try to give benefit of the doubt when things make sense.  Only when they don't do I not consider it.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image60
    WD Curry 111posted 4 years ago

Would you believe me if I told you? I give almost everyone more room than I am given. It is good to know who is really dangerous, though. Discernment is not a negative trait.

3. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago

Try this on for size: Everything is a manifestation of energy...including what we call consciousness. Consciousness must be included in the equation, for it's obvious presence requires it. Have  a nice day!smile

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I am very willing to give people the benefit of doubt, i don't slways assume that those who disagree with me are evil or idiots. Doing that does not mean you are weak. Of course, common sense does come into it too. I'm not going to go off somewhere with a stranger.

5. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago

..all of the time...i try my best to not judge a book by its cover....cuz, you just never know what's underneath.....peace!

6. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

...depending on how my day is going, i usually give about 60-90%.