The Lakota Quilters need cotton fabric

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Do you support Native American organizations?  Are you a fan of quilting?

Here's your chance to do some charitable good for the Lakota nation quilters who need some cotton fabric.

The link is to a Facebook page.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/one-spiri … 4850448866

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6111394_f248.jpg

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let us chat.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry. Don't they work? Do they live on a res?

2. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This would be a lovely way for anyone with a stash of fabrics left by a loved one to know that it had been used to make a beautiful and treasured items.

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

It's hard to make anything 'Aboriginal' anymore since everything has been commercialized tongue only thing left is use of their own band logo to confirm that it's made by a Aboriginal hmm otherwise, economic development on the 'rez' does take savvy and careful consideration to balance traditional values and provide gainful employment. It can be done but needs experience hands at the helm smile

Huh. Without intending to offend anyone, my family maintains traditional values, works, and supports a government. Why can't theirs?

In fact they've got it better than some. They own their own land and have a real say in how their 'country' is run.

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh no, I'm sure that didn't offend anyone.

1. fpherj48 profile image61
          fpherj48posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ran into a glitch, Wes.....I left TWO replies and they have disappeared. POOF!  gone.

Anyway, mega1...I don't know you but I LOVE you.  Your subtle humor by sarcasm is just my style!!!   Bless your heart!  Peace

Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

I'd donate to Native American charities if I could - but seeing as how I don't even pay my own way in full, I figured putting this here was the best that I could do at present.

2. mega1 profile image80
            mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much!  I have a lot of Cheyenne and other tribal blood in me and so I feel close to this subject and really regret that people are still stuck in the last century with their really racist comments sometimes.  I think it is a social problem in the U.S. that people who are not educated about it, actually FEAR poverty - and then of course they have to accuse those who live in poverty of being lazy and no-good and on and on.  They often say "I'm not asking for charity and I'm poor"  and they miss the whole concept of charity.  So allow me to just say that CHARITY when practiced from the heart is a gift that is given without being asked.  It comes from our human compassion for others because we understand that everybody needs help sometimes.  Helping others help themselves is the highest form of charity.  We recognize someone has a need and we seek to fill it, even if we, ourselves, don't have much.  In this way we feed our own spirits as well.  It isn't about who has more or less, its about human abilities and human need.  Its about feeling love for our fellow humans and understanding. 

(stepping down from soap box now)  Thanks for listening.  I needed to remind myself that people who are insensitive are pretty needy in actuality!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
              Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. fpherj48 profile image61

Mega1  Bless you a thousand times for your true and compassionate reasoning.  You have given my precise feelings and beliefs in your comment...only much more eloquently than I may be able to. When I see a real need, I never wait to be asked.  More importantly, I prefer to give anonymously, because I don't believe giving from the heart requires recognition.  It is quite simply, the thing we are meant to do.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82

*GRINS*

+1

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82

I do not believe that cotton grows in the Lakota Nation.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image59
          HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Think what bothers me is the weather in winter and healthcare they don't get. sad

3. HattieMattieMae profile image59

@coutoure, because in certain areas the location and the funds the tribes are not that wealthy. A lot of them are in bad houses, have their children steal from them, don't have proper health care, or hospitals, or schools. Even transportation is limited. In some areas in my state yes there is reservations that are doing well. Again it has to do with location.

1. fpherj48 profile image61

Hey fellow-hubbers.....Wes would like you to know that he is not intentionally absent nor ignoring this forum site.  He has been banned once again, due to the actions of an ignorant & unstable individual.  It appears this person has become involved with HP, particularly our forums, as a means of unloading inner turmoil caused by the demons of psychotic episodes. 
          All we can do is hope the self-loathing and anger stage subsides in the near future.   Thank you for understanding

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

Hattie - Thanks for the honest explanation. Sometimes on the forums, others assume the worst when we ask an honest question. My comment about 'owning their own land' was not meant to be sarcastic but a real perspective. It may not be the best land but it can't be taken away from them like ours can. (Not discounting history, let's talk about today).

I'm not taking sides, but I never understand why people would rather live without than take advantage of living within the rest of society. The answer I always come up with is that there must be something good there. Like the traditions they maintain. Whatever it is, it's now there choice. I also don't understand how it is that they are still without what they need.  Can someone explain this?

ha ha, I would explain, but you'd have a whole research paper in a forum. Wish I still had my sources, but didn't keep them due to I graduated in August. I know if you looking under native american poverty, Native american poor, or homeless a bunch of stuff will show up. Here is one link I still have, but not sure if we're supposed to put any links in here. If not sorry!
            http://articles.cnn.com/2009-08-13/poli … M:POLITICS

3. Debby Bruck profile image65
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Dear Wes ~ What a wonderful gesture to announce this project to the Hubpages family. Just as schools and classroom teachers request scraps and supplies to make successful projects, and textile lovers who have stashed away cupboard and closets filled with unused materials that can all go to a worthy cause.

Bless you for letting others know
    Debby

Thanks Debby!  I thought it was a worthy cause.  I'm about as broke as a soul can be - so I figured maybe the best thing I could do was share it here.

4. HattieMattieMae profile image59
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

I agree Mega, did a research paper on this, and the Government has made sure the Native Americans are taken care of, and suffer greatly. Hope one day they will be given more than what they deserve after what has been taken from them. smile

What do you mean 'taken care of and suffer greatly"?

oh mean not take care of suffer greatly. They have many obstacles even if they do have their own government and council, I'm not allowed to promote my hubs on here, but I had written one some time in the summer on the topic, the research is all over the internet about how most native Americans are in poverty and welfare. Some of it is because of there own beliefs and how they feel towards our Government. The Government has not done them justice for the price they have paid since the beginning.

5. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

Long ago, NA peoples weren't allowed to leave the rez @ all tongue cut off totally from the outside society till residential schools started up hmm they learned what the nuns and staff of these places taught tongue including abuse n they bring it back to their rez n teach THEIR kids, who also go to residential school n learn some more from nuns n staff, n so forth. A few generations later, what was truly learned? besides abuse n not allowed leave the rez tongue this has to be overcome first hence all the talk about the 'healing journey'. hmm does that help? if not, yes, google it, you'll find all sorts info. hmm I think rez's need a mocassin telegraph again lol send stuff n news smile good job though, build awareness. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)