jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Entire staff to be replaced at LA school where 2 teachers were arreste

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Entire staff to be replaced at LA school where 2 teachers were arrested
    By msnbc.com staff and news services

Updated Tuesday at 12:54 a.m. ET: The Los Angeles Unified School District is replacing the entire staff of Miramonte Elementary following the arrest of two teachers on lewd conduct charges last week, Superintendent John Deasy told parents at a meeting Monday night, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Positions will be filled by qualified teachers and other workers already on a placement or rehiring list, the Times report stated. But the displacement of the current staff could be temporary, according to the report.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ … e-arrested
    this is the dumbest move i've ever heard of! two teachers are arrested so everyone else is guilty by association? give me a break!yikes

2. Michael J Rapp profile image60
    Michael J Rappposted 4 years ago

I just saw that on the news.  What a crazy story all around.  I guess the superintendant is trying to exercise damage control.  Some of the parents are protesting and saying all of the teachers should not be punished. 

I can't beleive something like that could go on in a classroom setting.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

it s actually the personnel officers problem and the school district administrations fault since they are supposed to do thorough background checks and check references before hiring.

3. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

I was so surprised by that myself! What did the other teachers do wrong? I would be absolutely furious and sick at heart if I was one of the innocent teachers losing my job in an economy where teaching jobs are difficult to come by. What the guilty teachers did was absolutely sick and wrong on so many levels, but to replace the entire staff? Ridiculous.

4. Charles James profile image83
    Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago

What a wonderful incentive this creates for staff to whistleblow about colleagues - they lose their jobs.

Creates an incentive to turn a blind eye.

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I doubt they will get the kids back without starting over. So the incumbents would lose their jobs either way--be replaced or close school.

This way they are on *paid* leave and will most likely go back to work when the investigations ends.  Not so tragic.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image69
      HattieMattieMaeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I can see there point in a high profile case like that, although it would suck losing your job, and being jobless it is the schools responsibility and they are liable for the protection of the children. If other teachers new about stuff and never reported it, and kept things hush hush they could be just as guilty. Maybe they are just not sure who knew about what, and whether teachers are protecting each other, or telling the truth. I guess it would be better to be cautious, than find out later there were more teachers abusing, or participating in acts, or knew about it, and didn't stop it from happening.

6. maxoxam41 profile image78
    maxoxam41posted 4 years ago

It seems like pedophilia is thriving in our society. Not only that it thrives through non denunciation but it is also not very harshly punished by our judicial system! What must we understand? That our laws protect them? I will say yes! Given the facts that pedophiles are uncurable why to put them back in the society, wouldn't they be better with a life term jail (versus assaulting kids)?
    As for their close working environment, how is it that they can perpetrate their crime without being seen? Or do they close their eyes?