Get a Grip

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (77 posts)
  1. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

I got my water bill for the year the other day....$118.78. For the entire year.

That is less than one month of basic cable and internet. One month.

Could it be because the head of Comcast makes so much money? That's what business is all about: making money.

And people actually want business to take over the running of this country! If they provided my water, I would be forced to do without. We will be crushed if business gets its grip on the gvt.

Because with business, inevitably comes the banksters. And inevitablly comes profit over people. And inevitably comes a third world.

Business + Gvt....wonderful!
    Business - Gvt....rip off city!

1. WillStarr profile image81
      WillStarrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cable is a privileged utility, regulated by the state. It has no competition

Competition drives down prices, and the more companies that compete, the lower the prices. That's why we can now buy a 35" HD TV for less than $300.

lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Water is a commodity, regulated by my town....why don't they jack up the price for a huge profit, like cable does?

What's stopping them?

2. gregas profile image80
        gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Will, what is Dish and Direct, for 2 examples, if not competition for cable? Greg

LMC, it sounds like you are complaining because the water company doesn't charge you more. Greg

No, I'm pointing out how much I get for so little $$ with gvt, versus how much it costs for so little with business.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
            couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My cable bill just went up again. I get basic cable which went from $9. to now $15. Doesn't sound like much but I use it for Internet, too. They give me 8 channels which show the same programs over and over, sometimes on two different channels. But I have to have something. It's still a ripoff. Everytime they raise the price, they say they added technology but I'm not using any of it with basic cable and non HD tv.

2. 910chris profile image75
            910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My water bill is $23.00 a month, but five miles from my house the Town of Oak Island has a minimum of $80.00 a month!! It is just crazy how on town differs from another.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
            Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In England, some of us have water meters. United utilities charge me on average about twenty pounds per month, that's when I'm careful. Once privatised, water bills become scandalous!

4. Repairguy47 profile image59
            Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you should grocery shop at the Big Gov Grocery, my water bill is $90 a month and it too is from my local municipality, could it be your being subsidized by those of us who pay a higher rate?

You mean like rich people are subsidized by the poor and middle class in our tax policy?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
          Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We tried to get satellite TV but were told that a huge tree in front of our house would interfere with our reception.

1. Pcunix profile image90
            Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So build a bigger house..  smile

1. gregas profile image80
              gregasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or cut down the tree.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I put a bucket out side yesterday and caught a bunch of cable television.  Who needs cable when it is naturally falling from the sky.

Uh huh...guess you don't have children.

Internet is a must. For school, that is.
        Basic cable sux...that should be free!

I get a years worth of water for less than a months Comcast. My my, that gubmint sure do take too much of my money. MY MONEY. M Y  M O N E Y.

Agreed. TV used to be free. The networks advertisers paid for it. Someone told me they bought a $100 antenna at Best Buy that sits on a shelf and works very well and they get more channels than basic cable. They get internet elsewhere.

2. HattieMattieMae profile image60
        HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really uncorrectedvision...hope that bucke cable was good broadcasting! lmao!

3. Xenonlit profile image60
        Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like your point about cable "falling from the sky".

While I despise the way we are treated, cable companies do have to put money into the infrastructure, negotiate with broadcasters and film studios, and cover all the costs of a huge, somewhat labor intensive business.

AT$T is doing nothing to improve, while Comcast has tried to get better. Technology is expensive, not just for the equipment, but for the rest of it.

I thing what we should petition for a la carte programming and for clean billing to be put into law!

3. maxoxam41 profile image64
      maxoxam41posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't it in Bolivia that the people felt stripped out of their "material inheritance and natural resources" when French private companies thought that they could come and take over the distribution? They rioted and ousted them! It is a lesson for us!

Yes, just like the documentary The Argentina collapse.... the crying shame of what business and the banks did to them....it's criminal.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LMC - Government provides and subsidizes the water supply, thus it is cheaper.

Regarding your Comcast - if you're upset about it, then you can easily cancel your services. You could even sign with a competitor.

Heck, you could even start your own company.

The fact that you don't do any of these things merely shows you agree that the service is worth the price to you.

Often there is no real competition.

Google may change that..  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Internet access become a public utility eventually.  We all need it and we all benefit from it.  It is close to a necessity already.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

IF there is no real competition, then start your own competition.

The government hasn't made THAT illegal, yet. Although, it does put up heavy "start-up fines".

Not a single person needs the internet. T'is a fact that will forever be lost on the mind of a liberal. When the internet becomes a public utility, then it will end up being of poor preservation, poor delivery, and it will be heavily regulated.

It's completely ironic to claim that you are against SOPA & PIPA, yet you want it to be a public utility.

Wrong. Kids need it for school...homework is posted on it, grades are there now, and they have to type eveything...nothing is hand-written anymore. If you have kids in school, it is a neccessity. Unless you can go to the library every day, and try to do your home-work while dealing with 30 minute sessions.

And I do believe it was Gates who put the kibosh on competition...was it not? Intel?

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Seriously, Evan, you know I love you but this is a bit over the top even for you.

That's like saying no one really needs a phone. Yes, in theory, we don't need either for survival, but really? In this day and age, no internet? Why don't we go back to changing the ribbons on our typewriters with gloves on and cranking the car's engine from the front of the car with a wind up handle? Better yet, how about using horses for transportation, pony express for mail delivery, and the general store to make a phone call. That's if the recipient town has a general store with a phone.

I can agree that I don't like all this dependence on technology and have fought it for a long time. Now I have to play catch-up. And as you can see, part of my life is consumed with this utterly soul sucking forum crap.

Nothing personal to anyone. Where's that poetry forum.

3. Pcunix profile image90

It's a fact that some Conservatives never see the need for anything until long after all the intelligent people have realized how important it really is.

Municipal water?  Dig a well.

Public roads?  Let some company build them and charge tolls.

Police force?  Buy a gun.

And so on..

Whether you understand it or not, Internet access is becoming a necessity.  It already is for most businesses and for many individuals.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
              Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Public school problems? Charterize!!

Ayup.   We could go on and on.  That type of conservative is always on the wrong side of every argument about progress that has ever been made.

Look, I'm not one to say all conservative thought is wrong.  Slow and cautious is sometimes exactly the right course.  But the knee jerk refusal to consider any new idea that is so prevalent really gets wearing after a while..

4. Pcunix profile image90

Nonsense.   

I understand what the major difference between us is.  You see government as faceless others controlling your life and I see it as all of us reaching consensus.

No doubt this is true for you - your opinions are way out of the mainstream, so of course you feel that others are "controlling" your life.   I have some "out there" positions myself, but for the most part, I'm in sync with what most recognize as common sense.   I therefore see government as helpful whereas you see it as your enemy.

If we ever do turn the Internet into a public utility, it will be because people want to do it.  They may do it at a local level first - our town created a public gas and electric company years ago for exactly that reason.    That utility benefits all of us and we pay lower rates than towns that have to deal with the for-profit companies. 

That's why we will eventually have public Internet.  We'll gather together and realize that we'd all be better off to invest the money to do that.   It has nothing to do with SOPA or anything else.

5. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Business already owns the government.  Who do you think pays all the lobbyists and in turn buys off all the legislators as well as the President?  Do you think the nearly billion dollars that Obama raised last election and the over billion dollars he will raise this time came from the little people such as yourself?  The large part of it came from....omg....businesses and the people that run or own them.

Not true....his biggest donors were Wall Street, and they have now run to Romney.
        He had much support from small donors....and he does now as well.

And as far as business owning gvt...they sure got a boost with Citizens United.

Now who is for and against that?

As long as money rules, the whole thing is tainted. And a community organizer who actually tried to help people is looking pretty good right now, in the face of a candidate who reps the monied class.

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Denial is not a river in Egypt!

What businesses supported Obama in 08?

1. American View profile image62
              American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because you asked, here is a list of his top donors. Check out who is number two, six, seven. Hmmm are those bailout recipients?

University of California    $1,648,685
              Goldman Sachs    $1,013,091
              Harvard University    $878,164
              Microsoft Corp    $852,167
              Google Inc    $814,540
              JPMorgan Chase & Co    $808,799
              Citigroup Inc    $736,771
              Time Warner    $624,618
              Sidley Austin LLP    $600,298
              Stanford University    $595,716
              National Amusements Inc    $563,798
              WilmerHale LLP    $550,668
              Columbia University    $547,852
              Skadden, Arps et al    $543,539
              UBS AG    $532,674
              IBM Corp    $532,372
              General Electric    $529,855
              US Government    $513,308
              Morgan Stanley    $512,232
              Latham & Watkins    $503,295

Hmmm, interesting...don't see any big oil in there...

And in case you didn't read my prior post, I mentioned that wall street has abandonded Obama for Romney.

So, I guess if you don't like bail-out recipients, you will have to take it up with him now.

08 is ovah.

2. lovemychris profile image76

Well, I'll be hornswaggled! I just hit up my twitter, and looky here: Obama campaign funded by small donors!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ … print.html

I really think you should have read the entire article before you posted it.

6. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

After I thought about it for a while it seems that this is one more example of government incompetence. Your low bill is preventing some hardworking city employee from getting a raise. You should pay your fair share..

Don't worry..the cops and firefighters here make $80-$100,000 a year. They're doing just fine.

2. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

your water bill was less than 120$ for the whole YEAR???,.... sorry,... i'm stunned,... and jelous! ha!

Yes, I know some communities where the bills are extremely high...guess I would have to amend my thread then...I just reacted because it WAS so low!

And...they give HUGE lee-way in paying it too...not like tv/internet, who shut you off pronto. AND charge you a month in advance!

Guess there could be a case made for both...I just get so sick of hearing about the horrible horrible gvt..I over-react.

Unlike the NES (Nashville Electric). They shut off the service down here if the bill isn't paid within the month. Same with Comcast. You pay the month in advance or they shut you down.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Liberals like to say "government makes things cheap", and in this example, LMC cites his water bill.

Then he turns around - an about face - and begins to demand that "government does something to prevent the slow depletion of our lakes and rivers".

O! The irony!!

If only we all had a good understanding of how it all works, like you do, the country might be better run. No sarcasm intended.

Well, he needs a better understanding of what I said...never mentioned lakes and rivers...

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

LMC,
    Mass must be making up the difference somewhere else. As in, the big water users pay much more so that you can pay what seems to be a reasonable amount for your water bill.
    In comparison, your annual water bill is the same as my monthly city utilities bill for garbage and recycling collection, green waste (mower clippings, branches, etc.) collection and sewer.
    We have zero control over what the city charges for these utilities. I have seen the amount go up at least 15% as the city, county and state become strapped for cash.

Cable or satellite TV is privately owned. They can charge what the traffic will suck up and pay. DirectTV, Dish Network, Comcast and ATT. Looks to me like we're heading into another monopoly situation with MaBell taking over the pot (Uverse trumps them all) until such time as it is deemed the industry must once again be regulated. Er, deregulated.

IT'S ALL A GAME.

Yes, well cities and states are strapped for cash because the feds give them less....so the Ubers can have more back in tax cuts.

It's a vicious circle, and one where I see one solution where no one gets hurt:

Tax the Ubers more, put more federal dollars into cities and states!

Unless someone can give me one good reason why Adelson, with a worth of 21.5 BILLION should be able to avoid 39% tax....can you imagine what that $ would do for a city?

4. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Here in Wales, I pay £30 per month for water and £25 per month for satellite TV and internet. I don't watch the TV at all, I pay because it is the only way I can get the add-on for reasonably reliable, uncapped broadband.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They charge whatever they like.
      For example, I get my broadband internet through ATT.
      One day they capriciously started charging me $40/month. I called and asked why the rate had been increased and pointed out that I saw lots of promotions (ads) offering the same service to new customers for $19 a month. Why, as a loyal, many year (decade plus) customer could I not qualify for the lower rate?
      You know why.
      I'm not a "new" customer!

Then,out of the blue, one day they approached me and said they are going to change my internet rate to $19 a month. Part of me says, "All right! Sweet!" and part of me says, "What's the catch here? What rights am I signing away to accept this offer?"

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60

Yay in my town we only have the option of Charter communications, and no one else seems to serve the area, go figure. I pay 59 a month just for internet, and don't have to many options unless I use dial up which is old fashion. Really sucks when they monopolize the area.

WriteA - That's a lot for water. That would be $45. month in the U.S. But your internet is cheaper at $37.USD.

5. WillStarr profile image81
    WillStarrposted 12 years ago

"Will, what is Dish and Direct, for 2 examples, if not competition for cable? Greg"

Cable prices are competitive with both. The other factor is demand, and the demand supports the high price. We can always drop all of them and get free TV off the air. There is also free dial-up access to the internet if you don't mind advertisements.

If you think satellite is competition for cable, you've obviously never had it smile

1. WillStarr profile image81
        WillStarrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"If you think satellite is competition for cable, you've obviously never had it"

Until recently, we had both, and satellite is better by far.

You must never get heavy rain..

We had satellite for a while at our vacation home.  The only time we actually wanted to watch tv was when the weather was really bad and when the weather was really bad.. no satellite tv smile

It seemed to us to be an extraordinarily stupid thing to be paying for.  Just our opinion, of course.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60

Satellite sucks more than cable. Same price and of course the dunes and trees in michigan get in the way. Of course we could just chop all the tress down, but again when it rains or snows, you shit out of luck regardless what dish company you use. Tried two different ones.

Pc - where do you live? In Middle Tennessee, everytime a cloud moves the lights go out, the dishes move, the cable goes out. It's like living in Kansas just waiting for Dorothy and the house to go up.

6. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

I read a bunch of replies and switch provider was the one I liked best. Here's the thing, they are all the same price after the "Teaser" period.I have seen the price rise about $75 in the last 8 months for the same service.They did send me a nice letter that I would be getting screwed though. Don't you call that collusion? Take a look at a Comcast or any other bill. Charge for the converter,(Shouldn't that come with service since you can't access it without it?)HD technology fee.If they didn't have HD they couldn't keep any customers with the popularity of flat screens.Digital access?,the whole country went to digital broadcast 2 years ago. Outlet fee,my house was pre-wired.There are many more taxes and fees. Comcast sucks and they are gouging the crap out of their customers,period.

The outlet fee cracked me up the most. I paid for that outlet when my house was built, not one penny for it came from the cable company.

7. lovemychris profile image76

"LMC - Government provides and subsidizes the water supply, thus it is cheaper."

Ahhhhhh, now if only we could get that in healthcare and higher education!!!

But here's another one I just noticed, don't know how long it has been going on....

Verizon charges a late fee now, like credit cards.
    EVEN THOUGH they maintain the right to cut you off if you get too far behind.

Granted, a house phone is not a neccesity these days....but I'm hesitant to switch to cellular.

and, I just got a tax bill for a car I supposedy owned in 2006: mistake.  But I'll pay it then go fix it...all of a sudden I appreciate the gvt so much more!

So many people I know have removed their land line phones and only use cellular. The down side is if the towers go out, you have no phone. The down side of landline is the same if electricity goes out.

Yes, me too..it does seem stupid to have them both. But I know with cell phones, you get into these "arrangements" that you are penalized for if you get out of....I hate that kind of thing.

The contracts. There are some companies that have no contracts now. Some of the smaller ones. The problem is you sacrifice service in remote areas. The bigger companies have more coverage because they are on more towers so be aware of that. Having worked for Verizon since its inception, I know just a little about how it works. I'm not an engineer though.

Why have a land line and a cell phone. Get rid of the land line, get all your friends on Skype. Skype to Skype calls are free.

8. lovemychris profile image76

Then he turns around - an about face - and begins to demand that "government does something to prevent the slow depletion of our lakes and rivers".

HUH? Where?

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Wow. Our water bill is about $80 per month.

10. lovemychris profile image76

If they privitize it, you will wish for 80 a month...that's the whole point.

Once profit is the motive, it's a wash.

11. Druid Dude profile image61
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

THE DEPTH OF YOUR ILLUSION SCARES ME MORE THAN THE DEPTH OF MY GOVERNMENTS COMPLICITY.

Ahh, no illusion my man...the psychopath march.

Man who created Willie Horton add now working for Romney.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012 … fact_mayer

Now you will see. This is an a-moral, empty suit brigade. At least Gingrich has feelings and emotion.

You think Romney's dog liked being on the roof of a car for 12 hours?

You think he cared?

Watch out. The non-feeling are infinitely more dangerous.

This is Ariana Huffington 11/28/11:

"There was another big story -- the brazen dishonesty of former frontrunner Mitt Romney -- that received a lot less attention from the media. Instead of obsessing over whether an element of humanity might disqualify Gingrich with some Iowa voters, the media would be better served focusing on whether out-and-out lying should disqualify Romney with all voters."

It is now going to go ballistic...and we'll see which "media" calls him out!

Oh, and read up on psychopaths.

2. American View profile image62

LMC,

I thought you loved Romney, he was you guy, your Gov. He gave you so much, Romney care, more regulation, higher taxes, and more. Wait that sounds familiar, yet you love the twin of Romney. Go figure

Never liked him...he's a creep with a capital c.
          Only R I ever had warm and fuzzies for was Bill Weld. But then...he was big pals with the ceo of Bechtel.

12. aware profile image65
    awareposted 12 years ago

might be because the planet, and you and i are 90% water. thus the lower cost due to such availability.

Aware gets it!!! supply and the cost involved supplying it. If Hollywood got involved with water like with TV productions we would pay $50 for a bottle of water in the store. I am not saying Comcast and then like are not making money, we know they are. But they are selling a product that cost so much to make. Maybe since Hollywood are so  eager to back Obama and want to pay higher taxes, how about they pay a extra 10% tax on all their income, residuals and all the freebies given to them and use those funds to subsidize cable costs across the nation. That would lower the cable bill.

13. lovemychris profile image76

I was watching a panel on internet security this early morn...and a business woman explained just what was ailing America:

(paraphrase) "As with anything in these endeavors, we always make the same mistake; we work not for the benefit of the greater good, but for the benefit of the share-holders"

That is America's failure in a nut shell, IMO.

14. lovemychris profile image76

Here's Romneys current list of donors:

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/art … tt_romney/

Hedgefunders top it. But most hateful to me is Koch with his coal and gas....fighting the wind farm tooth and nail.

And the man who helped the swift-boat veterans....this is telling, since Mittens has hired the guy who made the infamous Willie Horton adds.

We have a WHOLE lot o Nasty to look forward to. Or backward, as I see it. Regress.

15. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 12 years ago

Once upon a time here in the UK, water was publicly owned and virtually given away.

Then we were told how much better our water would be if it was sold off to private companies, how much more efficient and cheap it would be.

Now my water bill is more than my electricity bill!

Still the same old pipes and even more shortages in the summer, so much for cheaper and more efficient!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)