jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

The Justification of War

1. profile image0
    Mtbailzposted 5 years ago

Is the United States justified to declare war on governments that blatantly supress their citizens' want for freedom and kills large amounts of the population?

1. QualityContent profile image68
      QualityContentposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There needs to be a very good cause for any war. Civil Wars are internal problems of individual countries.

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is one of the hardest questions to answer. Any free nation has a moral obligation to protect the rights of people no matter where they are.

However, the United States first has an obligation to protect its own citizens. Thus by engaging in a war with a belligerent country, the United States may be exposing itself to retaliation  by that country or other countries.

The short answer is yes, our country is justify in helping to protect basic human rights.

The difficult answer is that it is not always possible. The abuse of human rights is so widespread in this world, the United States does not have the resources to be everywhere, all the time.

So the realistic answer is yes, if we have the means an capability of doing something without endangering the health and safety of our own country and stand little if any risk of retaliation.

That sounds like a political answer and I apologize for that. But we live in a political world, where it is not always possible to do the things we want to do. Also, if there is an established government in that country, you face other challenges under international law.

I hope someone has a better answer, but this is the best I can do.

1. profile image0
        Mtbailzposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Larry about we can't be everywhere. But, the only things that frustrates me is when people claim because of that we should help no one. That's why I think you're right to include your "political" reason. I think its logical to think that way.

3. Greek One profile image79
      Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

yes

4. peoplepower73 profile image86
      peoplepower73posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think your question is too generalized to be answerd with any specifics.

There are no absolutes. But in general, if one anaylizes the motiation for wars, it's usually for economic reasons.

Tells us which wars and which governments you are concerned about and maybe we can give a more specific answer.

1. profile image0

Fair enough peoplepower73. In my head I was thinking about Iran primarily and Iraq.

1. peoplepower73 profile image86
          peoplepower73posted 5 years ago in reply to this

In my opinion, the Iraq war was totally unjustified.  There were two reasons for that war. Saddam Hussien posed a threat to Israel and we wanted control of the oil. It was done under the guise of converting an entire Muslim country to democracy, which was and is totally unsucessful.

The conflct in Iran is for the same basic reason which is to protect Israel.  Iran does not have  weapon system to reach this country, so therefore, they are not a threat to us...of course, this is all in my humble opinion.

5. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would ask if the US was justified in declaring wars on countries whose governments don't agree with the US.

1. profile image0

Solely on that? No, of course not.

1. John Holden profile image61
          John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But unfortunately they do, often installing quite blood thirsty rulers.

6. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

NO.

2. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

bomb all the mean ones!

3. Evan G Rogers profile image81
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

Murray Rothbard argued that there are only a few "just" wars.

Those of self-defense, and those of retrieving freedom from tyranny.

The second type is only to retrieve your own freedom, or to voluntarily help others with your own property.

working