Civil Rights and New Jersey

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

Chris Christie, the governor of New Jersey, is showing he lacks courage.  The New Jersey Congress has passed a bill to legalize same-sex marriage, but he vetoed it, saying he would prefer a referendum instead of the New Jersey government legalizing it. 

Why is this a problem you ask?  Imagine if we were to put our right to free speech up for popular vote, or our right to peacefully assemble.  Civil rights are not up to the majority's feelings.  Instead of having the courage to buck the backward elements of his own party by signing the bill legalizing gay marriage, Christie instead is attempting to avoid being the one directly responsible for it, even though he recently appointed a gay judge!

It does not appear he is personally against it, but the fact he vetoed the bill is indefensible.  Even when politicians personally are in favor of a policy, the way Christie currently seems to be, politics are becoming the calculus many use to determine what actions to take.

President Obama could also be accused of this, but at least he took steps to end DADT, something a modern Republican president would never have the gravitas to do.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We do put our freedom up to a vote every day.

Remember how pot is STILL illegal?

Yeah.

Sorry LGBTQ community, I recommend moving to Washington to get the marriage ability now, and then voting in Ron Paul who will prevent the Federal Government from overthrowing the state's power to allow gay marriage.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The freedom to smoke pot is not on par with the freedom to marry someone you love.  Paul also is not in favor of a national law to legalize gay marriage, unfortunately.

Being able to smoke pot (the right of property) IS on par with the freedom of association. In fact, they are the same right: the right of property. I own my body, you own your body, we mutually agree to hang out.

You're right about Ron Paul, though. He's in favor of getting government out entirely.

This is a MUCH better system than having government own your rights. If the government makes it legal, then they could always make it illegal in ten years.

Get it out, keep it out, and enjoy freedom.

1. lovemychris profile image77
            lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You cannot keep saying that when he voted for the Personhood amendment...it is disengenuous.

He wants gvt in my uterus...the most private part of all.

He needs to read the 4th and 8th.

You can't have liberty if you're killing people without a trial.

Here is Paul's clarifying statement (which proves he put more thought into it than everyone else. But, judging from your posts on the "Are Conservatives Idiots" forum, you clearly don't think that anyone with an R in front of their name has a brain)

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/RonPaul.pdf

He clearly explains that there needs to be an amendment to the constitution; that the president does NOT sign amendments, it is purely an act of congress OR the states; and that the enforcement of laws is a state issue, not a federal one.

He further explains that the intended amendment should NOT overturn the 10th amendment. Indeed, he explains, NO amendment repeals the 10th amendment, that's why it was never repealed.

"As president, I will sign and aggressively advocate for a law that removes abortion from the jurisdiction of the federal courts."

Why abortion? Did you ever ask yourself that?

There are myriad of issues that fall into this catagory...WHY ABORTION?

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can call Christie a few things, but lacking in courage wouldn't be one of them. Personally, I'd prefer to vote on everything. So there's always a different perspective.

1. profile image0

Actually, part of what it means to be courageous is standing up to the crowd, even when it is unpopular.  Saying things that will resonate with an angry electorate just to get elected isn't courageous. 

He could have signed gay marriage into law today, and he decided against it.   That was political cowardice at it's finest.

Or bigotry.

Maybe that's just what he believed was the right way to do it. So he stood up to the crowd and did what he believed was right even though it was apparently the unpopular thing to do (from what I'm seeing on forums all  across the web).

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
            Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christie is nothing but a fat, loud mouth bigot. I don't believe something like gay marriage should be put to the vote when we have Vern, Jim Bob, and Bobbie Jean as the voters. Something like gay marriaage should be an automatic right to begin with.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

I agree with you on the right to marriage. All I'm saying is that this is what he believed is the way to go. So now fat people are evil, too. Something equally as evil as a bigot could be a name calling hater. Besides, all people from Jersey are loud mouths. It goes with the territory. lol

I thought all the Verns and Jim Bobs and Bobbie Sues were in Tennessee and Jersey was full of Snookis, Frankies, and MaryElizabeths

1. profile image0

I just want to say I am not speaking of his weight at all.  I find all Republican politicians who refuse to support gay marriage as cowards.  If one stands up for their beliefs, it must be based on a reasoned moral position.  If you are calculating your political future, then you are just like every other politico out there.  Christie has no defense for his actions.

3. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If there are enough votes in the legislature, they can override his veto and the discussion is moot.  If there are not, one has to ask who is not voting to override and why.  I believe the legislature has a Democratic majority does it not?  Should be a slam dunk to override then shouldn't it?  Or are there Democrats who don't believe in civil rights?

This is why we need a new Constitution.

There should be such a thing as Universal Rights.
        And marriage is one of them.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

Just to play devil's advocate, do we draw the line at marrying animals, artificial intelligence (like robots who can think), interbreeding species, and the like? Cause I promise you, there will be someone somewhere who will want to do this.

PS - I believe anyone (human) should be able to marry any one)

How come this would suddenly come up if gays are given equal rights?

I mean---why wasn't this argument made when a man and woman wanted to marry?

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
              Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gays have equal rights.

Really??
                Where's the referendum on marriage between a man and a woman?

4. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have this sneaking suspicion that you would be in favor of many things put up for a vote. Just not this one thing.

2. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Me too. I want to vote on Citizens United, and the tax code!!!!

Especially the part where churches pay no taxes. Vote!

Why is Christie singling this out for referendum?

1. profile image0

At least Citizens United can be seen as an obviously horrific decision.  It's amazing to me that Supreme Court justices seem to not look into the future, where history will be a harsh judge.  "Separate but equal" is now seen as a ridiculous ruling.

Imagine what historians will say about a Supreme Court (conservative majority 5-4) that ruled corporations could spend UNLIMITED amounts of money on elections.  We might as well put a "for sale" sign up on our Congress.

I remember when Obama said as much in a speech, and one of the Justices sat there shaking his nead "no".

What--he's a Justice and he can't see that it's not good to let America go to the highest bidder?

Odd that a corporate entity is legally viewed as an individual in the courtroom but not in the political donation arena.

3. steveamy profile image61
    steveamyposted 12 years ago

Christie should read the 14th  amendment...

People pick and choose which parts of the Constitution they want to believe in.
      And fit it to suit their needs.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

And you should read the 10th.

1. steveamy profile image61
        steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

does not apply in this case ....

You're right, it doesn't.

But you should still read it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)