jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Should ex-spouses or partners be invited to funerals or weddings

1. 0
    matama ellieposted 4 years ago

Is it appropriate to carry baggage from the past?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago in reply to this

...depends on how many xs there are? tongue....of course the ex spouse should be invited to a funeral or wedding - why not?

..the last funeral i was at...my father-in-law, the big idjut....of course had his current wife and ex ...the mother of his children...but then the idjut also invited another ex wife and 2 old girlfriends....talk about confusing for the grandkids!....and fun laughs for the rest of us to observe the interaction...he's a big ass**le tho!....i felt bad for his current wife and ex (mother of his children)....hmmmm....wonder what his funeral will be like...should be fun!...cuz there are more women in the background! lol

1. 0
        matama ellieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I guess it true.Everything is entirely dependent on how many exes are there.

2. NatalieSack profile image60
      NatalieSackposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Except for celebrities, no one is ever formally invited to a funeral.  Obituaries function as open invitations, in a way.  So maybe the question is, "Should certain people be barred from attending funerals?"

If you fear someone causing a scene at a viewing, I would ask a good friend to stand outside and, with civility, turn away the person who is not welcome, at the request of the family, with a suggestion they pay their respects in a sympathy card mailed to the funeral home.

3. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't understand and had never heard of this idea of having to be invited to a funeral before this Whitney/Brown thing.

If someone is so inclined to attend a funeral, unless they're there to cause a scene, let them be.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image82
    Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago

... this is entirely dependent upon if they receive the invitation.

A one size fits all approach is hopeless.