jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Sue To Use The N-word

1. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 4 years ago

School Teacher Sues to Use the N-word In Class

http://www.thegrio.com/local/chicago/wh … -class.php

Clearly there are a number of sensitive topics in life whereby one may at times have to tip toe around in order to effectly address the subject matter. We look to our school teachers as an example towards approaching such subjects and the teacher's mannerisms for addressing these sorts of subjects. If the teacher's approach towards the subject is no different than the approach you would find on the street how then are they serving the students and the community?

With the vast knowledge and education received by the teacher one would think they could still convey their message with out getting down and dirty. People may not be shackled by the neck and ankles as was so done years ago but to utilize the barbaric and hateful terms used against a specific race be they Hispanic, Muslim, Chinese are still hurtful knowing that they bear the legacy of unacceptance in society.

As a teacher usually they are looked upon with esteem by the students and the community because they are the example-(or should be) so their role in society is not simply to teach but to be an example for others to follow. When it comes to discussing sensitive issues I say discuss them but do it in such a way that earned you you the title teacher.

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sorry but I do not know what the "N" word is. Is it nice, naughty, nutty, nonsensical, nasty, nonsensical, normal,? You are not very explicit.

1. SpanStar profile image59
        SpanStarposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If I were to use the N-word then I too would be disrepecting the the race I'm making reference to.  Most people in America understand  the meaning of the N-word which can be found in the dictionary under N-word..

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Teachers waste more than 50 hours of their lives in classes explaining to them that they "shouldn't be racist". Believe me. I went through it. It was maddening.

Then, when we enter the real world, racism is everywhere. When we use what we learn (for example, telling the children that we won't tolerate language like that), we get ignored and lose almost all respect from our students.

I swear to god I heard "the n-word" 50 times a day when I was student teaching. When I told the kids I didn't want to hear it, they did everything they could to get me to say it. All of this crap is just a way to disrespect teachers.

It's disgusting that the principal was more worried about not getting sued (a legitimate concern) than he was about teaching people about racism in a real way.

Hell, I got in trouble for telling kids "I'm a white guy who grew up in [the town I grew up] and had very little contact with languages except Japanese. I don't know any African, Middle Eastern or other names very well, so when I read your names off the roster, I'm sorry if I butcher them". I can't teach at that school anymore.