Sue To Use The N-word

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)
  1. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

School Teacher Sues to Use the N-word In Class

http://www.thegrio.com/local/chicago/wh … -class.php

Clearly there are a number of sensitive topics in life whereby one may at times have to tip toe around in order to effectly address the subject matter. We look to our school teachers as an example towards approaching such subjects and the teacher's mannerisms for addressing these sorts of subjects. If the teacher's approach towards the subject is no different than the approach you would find on the street how then are they serving the students and the community?

With the vast knowledge and education received by the teacher one would think they could still convey their message with out getting down and dirty. People may not be shackled by the neck and ankles as was so done years ago but to utilize the barbaric and hateful terms used against a specific race be they Hispanic, Muslim, Chinese are still hurtful knowing that they bear the legacy of unacceptance in society.

As a teacher usually they are looked upon with esteem by the students and the community because they are the example-(or should be) so their role in society is not simply to teach but to be an example for others to follow. When it comes to discussing sensitive issues I say discuss them but do it in such a way that earned you you the title teacher.

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but I do not know what the "N" word is. Is it nice, naughty, nutty, nonsensical, nasty, nonsensical, normal,? You are not very explicit.

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I were to use the N-word then I too would be disrepecting the the race I'm making reference to.  Most people in America understand  the meaning of the N-word which can be found in the dictionary under N-word..
            http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/N-word

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Teachers waste more than 50 hours of their lives in classes explaining to them that they "shouldn't be racist". Believe me. I went through it. It was maddening.

Then, when we enter the real world, racism is everywhere. When we use what we learn (for example, telling the children that we won't tolerate language like that), we get ignored and lose almost all respect from our students.

I swear to god I heard "the n-word" 50 times a day when I was student teaching. When I told the kids I didn't want to hear it, they did everything they could to get me to say it. All of this crap is just a way to disrespect teachers.

It's disgusting that the principal was more worried about not getting sued (a legitimate concern) than he was about teaching people about racism in a real way.

Hell, I got in trouble for telling kids "I'm a white guy who grew up in [the town I grew up] and had very little contact with languages except Japanese. I don't know any African, Middle Eastern or other names very well, so when I read your names off the roster, I'm sorry if I butcher them". I can't teach at that school anymore.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)