jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Tumblr bans anorexia, bulimia and other self-harm

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

By Rosa Golijan

Tumblr has been known to struggle with an overwhelming amount of content which promotes or glorifies many forms of self-harm including  though unfortunately not limited to  eating disorders, self-mutilation and even suicide. Now the micro-blogging service's staff has made the decision to fight this phenomenon by officially prohibiting blogs "that actively promote self-harm."

An announcement on the official Tumblr staff blog explains that the decision to revise the service's content policy is not being taken lightly as its staff is "deeply committed to supporting and defending [its] users freedom of speech." But as a company, those folks have decided that certain and specific types of content including spam and identity theft  "aren't welcome on Tumblr."

http://digitallife.today.msnbc.msn.com/ … -self-harm
    Is censoring a good idea for a social site?

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Having accidentally followed children (some barely teens) who are posting self-mutilation (severe cutting)... I think free speech has to be balanced against encouraging people to hurt or kill themselves.

3. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

Censorship is almost never a good idea; that being said though, those kind of pro-anorexia sites that they've banned are outright dangerous to young girls. Back in my more insecure days I used to frequent them and the things they tell girls and encourage girls to do are awful. Pro-anorexia sites should not exist... but I'm not comfortable with the idea of censorship.

Although it is tumblr's call-- their website-- so they should be able to decide what's allowed.

4. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Hub Pages bans certain subjects and that helps keep the integrity of our site high.
    Good for them for recognizing that their site is promoting harm and putting a stop to it.
    I hope this is a positive sign that social sites recognize they have a social responsibility (of sorts).

Unfortunately, the internet is like a hydra. You cut off one toxic head and it grows two more. The information will continue to proliferate on underground sites.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think they could allow these topics if the authors shared their stories on how they overcame it, or how to recognize the signs, and how to help someone going through their owneating disorders. I certainly wouldn't want anyone glorifying it.