jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Freedom of Speech No More! Choice: Jail & Fine or Facebook Apology

1. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

I saw this article online and had to read it. How dumb can judges be today!!! Speak bad words to friends or family members against someone and you can end up in trouble with the Law!!! Post it on Facebook and you definitely will end up as a criminal.
    Now the words were Not criminal or threats. By the time the man is "cleared" because of constitutional issue, he will have been subjected to serving out the punishment.
    I hope he sues back the Court, judge and his ex after this is over.

Speak Bad of Me and Go To Jailor or Public Apology to Embarress You!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps he was going by libel laws?

Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I did not see that in the statements listed in the article. But, when is it OK for a judge to censor what we speak? If the comments were threats, then I can see it. It was mentioned that the EX was blocked from his facebook page, so she heard (obviously) from common friend.
        Wonder what bad words she has shared to Her friends? He should find a judge to go after her comments. Fair!

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
        Repairguy47posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Libel laws are civil cases not criminal, there is no jail time affixed to civil laws.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The public sees these media as systems of greater communication, and basically an extension of conversation.

Really, they are publishing companies that make your thoughts able to be spread widely very fast.

If you yell "I'm going to kill you" to someone, the only reason why you don't go to jail is because it's difficult to prove you actually said that. Now, when you type stuff, the info can just be plucked out of a database somewhere.

2. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

Time to stay off Facebook I think.

It was on the news yesterday that a young Spanish woman got fined €1000 ($1200) for posting a picture of herself on Facebook wearing a t-shirt saying "Mi exmarido es gilipolla" which is Spanish for "my ex-husband is an a**hole".

He made a complaint saying he felt embarrassed by the message and the judge agreed with him. She never even typed anything. It was just a photo!

Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sounds like Judges need to get a better education on the Law! lol

3. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

You did hear about the British couple who'd planned a vacation in America?

He tweeted to his pals that he was going to "destroy America" which is Brit-speak (apparently) for partying, and she tweeted she was going to "dig up Marlyn Monroe" which is apparently a reference to a joke in US series Family Guy.

The department of Homeland security intercepted their tweets, met them off the plane when they landed in LA, flung them in jail for the night and deported them the next day.

http://americanexpatchiangmai.com/2012/ … ish-humor/

working