jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Abortion and Gendercide

1. Cassie Smith profile image77
    Cassie Smithposted 4 years ago

It seems to be a common practice in China and the developing world to abort female babies because male babies are preferred and bringing up children is expensive.  Women are calling this gendercide.  Immigrants from India, Pakistan, China etc. are also aborting female children here in the US and already in the UK.  Now there are activists in the UK who think that the government should crack down on doctors and clinics who help couples to commit gendercide.  So should the State command people not to selectively abort and put people in jail who do and those who aid and abet them? 

And couldn't this be the beginning of a slippery slope, if there was a gene found that accurately predicted that the baby is a homosexual, and couples don't want a homosexual baby, should the State step in and allow abortion?  It's not far from only accepting babies that have the desired features.

For those who think that babies are not being aborted, this should not concern you since it's just a collection of cells, so you don't have to comment.

1. JBBlack profile image61
      JBBlackposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Seems as unjustified as many other reasons. 

When you talk about desired features, it call up the selection of babies with downs syndrome for abortions.  If this selection, or a selection for any other medical issue, is acceptable, then abortion for any selected feature is acceptable. 

Anyhow, this is not the beginning of the slippery slope.  The fact is that the justification for the abortion is in the hands of the woman holfding the child.  'I don't want a child.' looks the same to me as 'I don't want this child.'  A life is ending and one reason isn't any dirtier than another.

While I mourn for the stunted population growth, all the missing scientists developing the cure for this and that, friends, etc, my heart is still conflicted.  It is acceptable to me for someone to select a child with downs syndrome for an abortion.  In my mind, this is still more acceptable than someone commiting gendercide, which contradicts my earlier statements somewhat.

2. lovemychris profile image79
      lovemychrisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

China has forced abortions.

Some people here want us to have forced birth.

Either way--it's gvt force.

2. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago