jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Why can't we drill for oil in the U.S.?

1. Dee42 profile image78
    Dee42posted 4 years ago via iphone

Is it because we don't have oil or crude beneath our own America's surface?

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Depends on who you believe. Some say there's gazillions of of oil under the Rockies mostly in national forests. Some say that is a myth and there isn't.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

We do drill oil in the US. Oil exploration, drilling and refining is very costly.
    Checking the EIA site, "In 2010, the U.S. produced about 5.5 million barrels of crude oil per day and imported about 9.2 million barrels per day."  Most of the oil produced here is refined in US refineries.

It actually is a very interesting topic. I had to find out more about it because I inherited some mineral rights in North and South Dakota. It's a long story that I won't begin to share here, but I kind of have a love/hate relationship with oil.

I do know this, the US has plenty of oil.

This site has a regional map of the US and other interesting information.

4. maxoxam41 profile image80
    maxoxam41posted 4 years ago

The U.S. has plenty of oil kept as reserves for harder times! Meanwhile it pilfers others' oil resources!

1. Paul Wingert profile image79
      Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Exactly. It's cheaper to use other people resources. Once it's gone, we can easily hold a monopoly over the stuff. Sounds good anyway.

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

We do.  Lots.  Not paying close attention?

6. natures47friend profile image81
    natures47friendposted 4 years ago

The US should drill in their own country as they use so much of it. They should leave the Arctic alone. There is not much there and that will destroy the pristine environment there. The US should be looking at sustainable resources such as wind and solar or something else.

7. Moderndayslave profile image60
    Moderndayslaveposted 4 years ago

There's plenty of oil, unfortunately there is not enough money for big oil.

8. Diane Inside profile image87
    Diane Insideposted 4 years ago

I think its because the us is greedy misers. They want to use everyone elses up first before tapping into our own.