jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Woman fined for faking cancer, raising money

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Woman fined for faking cancer, raising money
    By msnbc.com staff and news services

RICHMOND, Va. -- A suburban Richmond woman was fined $100 after admitting she faked cancer to raise money.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch said that Martha Ann Nicholas pleaded guilty on Monday to two misdemeanor charges of obtaining money by false pretenses. Besides the fine, she was ordered by a judge to not take part in any charitable causes and placed on five years' probation.

A 12-month jail sentence was suspended, the newspaper reported.

The Mechanicsville woman had claimed at rallies that she was a cancer victim.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ … sing-money
    She was only fined $100. and no jail time...this is appalling..

1. kenneth avery profile image83
      kenneth averyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Stacey L., I agree. Appalling. This takes the wind out of my sails. If she had asked people, they might have GAVE her some money. Me? Id hate to attempt to fake a disease for money. I might get the sickness.

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

It's a form of fraud, and it should be prosecuted as a fraud case.  It should not be considered only a misdemeanor.

This is not the first such case, but I don't know what sort of punishment was doled out in previous cases.  At least this one was prosecuted, but I too am appalled at the insignificant fine and lack of jail time.  If nothing else, she should be required to take part in community service - perhaps as an orderly in a cancer ward for a year (since the suspended jail sentence was for 12 months).

3. pharuk temmy t profile image60
    pharuk temmy tposted 4 years ago

That's a fraudulent act and there must be a purnishment for that.