Are there any American Americans?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (47 posts)
  1. jainismus profile image72
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6259929_f248.jpg
    When most of the Americans are known by their country or region of origin, i.e. African Americans, Asian Americans, British Americans, Chinese American etc, I wonder are American Americans are in minority in America?

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

About as many as there are native in any country. Almost all countries are mixed with some other nationality. The U.S. is one of the younger countries so I guess it shows up more. Even what we call Native Americans came from another land before they came here.

I think when it gets to the second generation, they stop associating with their grandparents' country.

2. feenix profile image56
      feenixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am an "America-American."

If fact, whenever someone calls me "African-American," I set that person straight right away.

I firmly let that person know that I am an American, period.

No, no hyphenations for me.

3. S Leretseh profile image60
      S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The recognized  Americans the world over Prior to 1964,  were white and Christian (non-religious included).  Others living in America were members of subordinate male groups. The compulsory integration act (July 2, 1964) changed the "American" into a political  expression.  The Americans who built America's political and economic arenas are, for good or bad, reduced to white people.  Romans went thru this very same evolution to destruction.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What would you think were I to tell you that I am a TEXAN?

1. feenix profile image56

A TEXAN.

That works for me.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61

Hey Wes, I get you. Texas always was considered their own country. Kind of like California. lol

2. KFlippin profile image60
        KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting topic question...... Given the current state of the USA, maybe it is time we all had DNA done to determine what sort of 'American' we can lay claim to being in this new benefit driven society.  Our blood work should be critical to our financial future as retirees for sure, and I say throw out the Dawe's List and bring in DNA for establishing 'Native American' status, and any other beneficial minority status.  Sad that the day is gone when most were proud to be simply called American with their prior nationality an adjunct, once they arrived in this once great country.  My forebears were Irish, Scotch Irish, English, and Native American, and who knows what else - but foremost they were grateful Americans.......... accept maybe my Choctaw Great Grandmother, I suspect she was rather ticked off at her treatment and the really crappy treatment of her half breed kids, not to mention being called 'squaw' in a derogatory manner even by her eldest grandson - but did my Mom get any special benefits? Nope, not one thing, and it could have really helped her before she died, maybe she'd even still be alive.  Just what made her forebears' multi-generational persecution unworthy of recompense? She had the cheekbones and chin and deep dark hair of the Indian, among other clear inherited traits from her Grandmother, just not a skin color or confirmed pedigree designation of race.  She wasn't on the Dawe's List because her Grandmother was shamed into not signing up. Where's the American Indian in this brave new world of income redistribution and economic retribution and modern day DNA profiling?

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Well I live in the USA, but I am not an American citizen, I am a "resident alien"!  So I am not a British American, just British.  :-)

5. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Native Americans. You know...redskins.

6. mrshadyside1 profile image61
      mrshadyside1posted 12 years ago

I applaud feenix for his response,for it is one of a true American. When the politically correct response is given then there is at least some small amount of dissent or animosity involved.If you are American it makes no difference what race or from what region,religion or country you or your ancestors originated from.As with being anything else being American is a belief and a patriotic upholding of a dream and right of all men to be equal and free and a willingness to fight and protect that system of values.I fear though,that that belief system is in dire jeopardy and if more Americans don't see what is happening and speak out in the near future it will be a dream and way of life that will be taken from one and all.

1. TLMinut profile image60
        TLMinutposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like this.

7. feenix profile image56
      feenixposted 12 years ago

Why, thank you very much, Mr. Shadyside.

Now, I am even more glad that our paths crossed than I was before.

8. maxoxam41 profile image65
      maxoxam41posted 12 years ago

To be American is a concept! To be American is a kaleidoscope of races therefore not a race. To be American can be bought by money. But the real ones are the ones traceable with their blood and being related to the soil! The Americans are the native Indians and nobody else!

"The Americans are the native Indians and nobody else?"

So, what you're saying is the distant ancestors of today's American Indians did not migrate to the Western Hemisphere from other regions of the planet.

In other words, you evidently believe that thousands of years ago, the ancestors of today's American Indians just sprout up from out of the ground in such regions as the ones that are presently known as Alaska, the Yukon, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean islands, Peru and Equador.

1. maxoxam41 profile image65
          maxoxam41posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The American continent has only one root, Indian, from north to south!

I have no idea what you're talking about. Absolutely no idea at all.

And by the way, there are two American continents -- América del Norte y América del Sur.

There is only one continent America (north and south is secondary). According to your logic, what about Asia?

Well, this is Friday night.

What must we understand? That we have to forgive your ignorance because it's friday night? Sorry, I can't do that! Sure, you'll find someone at your rescue!

Yes, I'm ignorant, and what do you expect? I am a product of the leftist-dominated public-school system.

lol

2. maxoxam41 profile image65

I am too and fortunately we are opposite! It means that we definitely are not its product otherwise we would be similar!

In the traditional 7 continent model, S.A. is viewed as a separate continent. Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe, Antarctica, Australia. Some models view all the Americas and Canada as one continent.

Thank you but I know, it doesn't make it an unique continent because "pundits" decided otherwise! As I referred to it we could separate Asia as well!

With all respect, what we call Native Americans are not Americans at all. They call themselves Cherokee, Navajo, etc., not American and they have their own nations within the borders of the U.S.

I agree with them since America was not called America by the native Indians. If we have to stick to history America should not be called America, logically!

9. TLMinut profile image60
      TLMinutposted 12 years ago

The whole African-American thing annoys me because people seem to assume anyone black is one. In a novel I read, the author referred to a Jamaican man as an African-American.
      I don't hyphenate either but that may be because I'm German, French, Cherokee and probably more as well. I was born in the USA by parents born in the USA to grandparents born in the USA. I'm American.
      Someone very invested and interested in their ancestry may have a different take on it. If someone knows and maintains relationships with relatives in another country, it might be different.

1. Cre8tor profile image91
        Cre8torposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As much as I love many of the responses here. I hope someday we can just be human. I'm not trying to sing "kumbaya" and "world peace". I just hope someday we can lose the tags.

"I'm black." "I'm white." "I'm Asian." "I'm Mexican."...funny, I rarely hear anyone say "I'm flesh and blood."

Maybe I've been reading the wrong books but I'm pretty sure there was a group that separated in different directions a long, long time ago.

No offense intended for anyone here. I just think a change in our world today will come with the recognition of this thought.

I'm native. Native to the planet.

I have nothing against it!

10. Jed Fisher profile image68
      Jed Fisherposted 12 years ago

Yeah, whatever, I guess the USA might look like a country full of hyphenated idiots from the outside. But anyway, one of my ancestors, after serving in the Continental Army during the Revolution, was paid for his years of service to a broke-ass country with title deed to a square mile of land in what is now West Virginia. When he got there to claim the land, there were Cherokee all over the place. He shot a couple of them, married one, and let the rest hang out and hired a few from time to time to help out with the farm work.
      Political Correctness has been a very successful scheme aimed at eliminating free speech and re-installing segregation through racial pride, providing a firm foundation for the state-sponsored racism we struggle with today. That nonsense has to go.

+1 and great story by the way.

11. pedrog profile image60
      pedrogposted 12 years ago

Well, a very small minority, only 1.37% of the U.S. population, according to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Ame … ted_States

12. profile image0
      Deb Welchposted 12 years ago

LOL!

1. profile image0
        Deb Welchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Something made me laugh out loud - I am not apologizing.  I'm half & half - Scilian and German - Grandpa came from Scily, went to NYC and he changed his last name because people of Italian descent were treated badly back-in-the-day.  I am American with a made-up name - even so - I was born in NY - served in the military service and have held several government jobs - small - but nonetheless - they counted.  Maybe they figure American is something else - more straight forward - one religion - one Nationality - one color and one attitude.

Hey paisano, you had me up until the one religion, one color bit. Are you saying we should be or that's what people think we should be?

1. profile image0
            Deb Welchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

couture - Years, and years ago - many people may have thought we were one way as an American and found out something else.  No one is the same in any Nation.  We are a culmination of all and that is good.  The American Indian began Our American History with the cheap purchase of their land and the friendship of the'Thanksgiving feast'.

13. Doc Snow profile image89
      Doc Snowposted 12 years ago

My perception is that most citizens of the US simply refer to themselves as "American."

So I'd have to disagree, respectfully, with the premise of the question.

14. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

We're all africans. All of us.

I guess that's the latest finding but if, as they believe, we evolved from Australopithecus or Pithecanthropus during the Pleistocene Epoch, then we have to go back even further and say we evolved from what or who? Whatever came before that. And who knows where that came from? Riiiiight? The findings in Africa and what evolved into Peking Man were only the oldest findings of erect ape like men. Since the first glacial period pushed them southward, I wonder what and where they were for thousands of years before that.

1. KFlippin profile image60
          KFlippinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And all that merely points to the fact of the desirability of simply an American society that has out shone any other on this Earth, with all its pimples and warts, it is better than any other, and only those who hope to gain riches or merely gifted subsistence by thwarting it or bastardizing its inception and growth and economic basis can hope to make a livelihood by trashing IT, our Country, our Homeland if you like.  Enough time has passed for that moniker, 'Homeland', to be attributed to the great United States of America.

We all came from somewhere.......and to think that today that 'somewhere' has to be tracked in order to determine one's future is absurd.  In the grand scheme of time, ultimately we are all part of the same - which is what America 'was' becoming about historically, but now that seems to be in reverse gear, and the future of our people and our country in grievous question.

15. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

My kids' father and I came several mixed generations down the line from whoever came here from somewhere else By the time my kids came along and had their own mix (3 or 4 nationalities from their father; and 3, I think, from my side); and then with one adopted one who has his own genetic ancestry...     I told my three kids they're "quintessential melting-pot" Americans.  I told them, "You are exactly what America is all about."

(In a time and a society with so much emphasis being placed on people's nationalities and origins, I had to give them something that I hoped would let them feel they had their own "identity" as Americans.  It was all I had, and I really wanted, too, to make sure my son (with his own extra set of genetic ancestry lines) would feel he "belonged" as equally as his siblings.

16. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

I think the problem is those who think they have the "god given" right to rule are finding out.....uh uh...not so fast.

WhoEVER said we have to put money over people is sadly mistaken.

Yes, people come her to make money and make a better life....but the balance between money-makers and money-takers is way way way over balanced. Way way way over-indulgent of a certain leisure class.

I'm 3rd generation. In my lifetime, I have seen it go from made in America, to made in China.
      Good jobs with good wages, to poverty-level wage is to be grateful for!

I love that we are diverse.

But the underlying glue of all for one and one for all is gone. I feel it coming back, but it is so precarious, and so easliy dashed on the rocks.

I want it back! I wish for my kids to know it...feel it, and so far...they have been shown: dog eat dog....get all you can get, the heck with your fellow man.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)