jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Beyond The Wit of Man?

1. Charles James profile image83
    Charles Jamesposted 5 years ago

The British charity "Empty Homes" estimates there are 930,000 unused properties in the UK. There are two million families on waiting lists for social accommodation - many of whom have been waiting for years.

Is it beyond the wit of man to find a way to put the two problems together to find a solution?

2. lovemychris profile image81
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

It's going to take a sledge-hammer before we realize that human beings are more important than property.

3. Charles James profile image83

This is an illustration of how capitalism can lead to suboptimal use of resources.

Government can serve notice to purchase properties. In the USA I think it is called pre-eminent domain. In the UK it is called compulsory purchase. This involves government in paying fair compensation, which is expensive. The people who it is bought from rarely think the compensation is enough.

Government often does not tax empty houses or allows a tax holiday before taxation begins. Stepping up the taxation on empty property changes the economic dynamics. It then becomes sensible to sell the property or to pay for it to be repaired and brought into use.

1. John Holden profile image59
      John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But property inflation is such that it can still pay landlords to leave empty property empty even while the property market is rebalancing itself!

I feel that the solution is to actually increase taxes on empty property so that it is beneficial to land lords to let out property.

Obviously this would be unfair to people who had their property on the market but unsold. I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to find a solution though.

4. Charles James profile image83

Amazing how the Conservatives and conservatives have no contribution to make.
    Could it be that naked capitalism has failed?

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Possibly, probably. Just three miles away from where I live, Clayton in Manchester, there are rows of boarded up terraced houses. I believe they once belonged, in part, to a housing association. I have no idea who owns them now, or why they are vacant. I do think it is scandalous, however, that there are homeless people and empty, boarded up houses. What a waste.

I believe you can buy whole streets in Salford for not much more than a weeks wages!

That really wouldn't surprise me. I bet the private hostels there are making a fortune though.

Aye, no doubt, and who's paying?

We are.

Thought as much sad

5. luvpassion profile image61
    luvpassionposted 5 years ago

Forgive my ignorance...are hostels the same as the Y? smile

Not really, more like workhouses with the charity removed.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61

Mostly, private accommodation for those who are homeless and desperately need a roof over their heads. Often one shabby room with limited support, no food or protection for the most vulnerable. Wealthier people are able to set up  accommodation like this, but they are able to claim a vulnerable persons entitlement to housing benefit  by claiming that they are offering a 'service' and crunching the homeless numbers. It is politically expedient. Funny, that single parents are often made the scapegoats for government spending, and not the 'wolfs' that exploit the most vulnerable.

6. Charles James profile image83

Hey - where are the pro-capitalists?

This is a clear example of the waste of resources under capitalism and not a squeak from any pro-capitalists.

working