Do you believe NAFTA is a good thing?

1. 910chris profile image75
    910chrisposted 4 years ago

We have had NAFTA now for over 20 years and I have seen a lot of people blame NAFTA for most of the economic problems we have in America today. I would like to know how you think NAFTA has helped or hurt this country, as well as Mexica and Canada.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't like any of the trade agreements, whether it's for food, clothing (China) or anything else. Although we can get blueberries from Chile in February, among other things, it ultimately destroys the natural process of trade.

It's a good idea to trade with other countries. Getting blueberries in Feb. is great at a fair trade. The problem is they don't take as much from us when our harvests are good. We can sell goods here but the trade agreements force growers to sell a certain amount to other countries and forces us to buy a certain amount, always more than they buy from us.

Especially in the case of China, we import far more from them then they do from us. So they have us relying on them for product as well as being indebted for cash.

There was a time when I'd joke around about this stuff and say 'Nice country, America." Now it's not as much of a joke anymore as a disgrace.

1. 910chris profile image75
        910chrisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That is a sad truth. Just like how mexican truck drivers can now drive to any state in America, canceling out our own truck drivers for the very same jobs. Because the mexican drivers will do it for less.