jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Willful ignorance

1. 0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

This is something that bothers me. There are a lot of people who, for instance, bash on Romney about his record at Bain Capital, based on what they hear in the news.

Across the two forums I frequent the most, I created threads detailing Romney's record, one company at a time, showing the effect Bain had on those companies. The result was many, many jobs saved and created, better financial situations for the companies, etc.

Not a single Bain basher posted in either thread, on either forum. There wasn't a single person who stopped to say 'Hmmm, I've read otherwise in the news, let's look at this.'

The same thing with tax rates. People complain about how US corporate tax rates are so low, and companies like GE get away without paying taxes. When I make a thread, linking the SEC financial data that actually shows GE's tax rates, nobody responds.

Are so many of us at a point where we are more interested in political/party talking points than the truth?

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Or maybe people just don't respond to being branded wilfully ignorant.

1. 0
        JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Or maybe, if you read what I wrote, you would realize I was asking a question. I'm sorry for not including the ? in the title, but I just truly don't understand why people will so strongly push a point, but ignore any evidence to the contrary.

1. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Er no, no question, you were stating a strong opinion.

1. 0
            JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The last line, often the conclusion of a body of text, poses my question.

I'm open to other explanations, but this discussion does nothing at all. I happen to know that certain individuals are purposefully this way, because of personal interactions, but I'm wondering if people care more about their political points than the truth to the point where they would willfully ignore factual data.

working