jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Defense Budget

1. GNelson profile image85
    GNelsonposted 5 years ago

The following is from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute:

1,630 Billion - Total estimated military spending in 2011 
    698 Billion -     Total estimated U.S. military spending in 2011 (Rank #1 at 43% of the world expenditure)
    119 Billion -     Total Chinese military spending in 2011 (Rank #2 at 7.3 % of the world expenditure)
         7 Billion -     Total Iranian military spending in 2011 (Rank # 25 at .0004% of the world expenditure)
    645.7 Billion -   Total military spending by the next 14 countries following the United States

The United States spends $2141.00 per citizen.
    China spends $74.00 per citizen.
    Iran spends $89.00 per citizen.

I was set back a little by these numbers.  What do you think?

1. Dee42 profile image79
      Dee42posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow, GNelson, I knew it was bad, but to have it in black and white, it literally made me sick. And children are starving and without a home.

GNelsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My thoughts exactly.  Kids hungry, Corporations fat.  We are blowing a ton of money.

2. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Want to feel even worse about it?

Let's say we take 300 billion a year out of that and give it to the bottom 50% of households. That's 46 million in the bottom 50%, looking at tax returns.

$6,500 per household per year, and that is for households up through $32,000 per year.

We really could do more with that money.

Yes we could do more with that money.  I asked my two Senators and my congressman to give me their thoughts on this situation.  They haven't responded yet.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61
        couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Jax- I love that idea. That would pay my rent for 9 months.

3. couturepopcafe profile image61

And it's just a bit more than we'll be required to pay for the national healthcare when it kicks in. Isn't that $2000.?

2. Credence2 profile image85
    Credence2posted 5 years ago

You know, G Nelson, I think that it sucks. I have complained about this disparity for some time but it appears to fall upon deaf ears. I speak of it in more detail in this article.

http://credence2.hubpages.com/hub/Be-Wa … ed-Serpent

3. UnnamedHarald profile image94
    UnnamedHaraldposted 5 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6282978_f248.jpg

The world's top 7 military spenders in 2010 (in $billions.

Nuff said.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Gun running is good business and since the tax payers pay for it - it is the best.

5. Evan G Rogers profile image82
    Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago

Ron Paul wants to cut it, hardcore.

Vote for him, or quit complaining.

I like Ron Paul because he speaks his mind and doesn't follow Rebublican dogma.  He is even right on some issues, but I could never vote for him.  Obama will be the next President.  I posted the facts on the defense budget because it shows that most politicians are out of touch with reality.  Ask your representatives to explain that expence.  They would rather discuss birth control and tell you that government is too big.  All the while wasting billions.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image82
        Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"I agree with Ron Paul. I hate defense spending. Obama will get my vote"

2. couturepopcafe profile image61

Nelson - Why could you 'never' vote for him? Any reason in particular? Sounds like you're a politician yourself, no offense intended. You talk about defense spending and how bad it is but won't, for reason you haven't expressed, vote for the guy who will do something about it, and a lot more.

Can you explain to me why you can't vote for Paul. I'd really like to know.

6. Artin2010 profile image78
    Artin2010posted 5 years ago

No wonder we can't explore space or put a cure for cancer on the table. Looks like the Great American War Machine is fat and too healthy! Between the out of control government spending on bailouts for the rich and this monster I can why gas and everything else is TAXED to death. OUCH

working