jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Stimulus money paid for foreign workers

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 5 years ago

In OR, over $7 million of stimulus money that was supposed to pay for hiring American loggers out of work went to 250+ foreign workers, instead. Representative Peter DeFazio, a Democrat, triggered the investigation. 4 contracting companies had followed the practice. Because of a loophole, this was legal. Still, both Democrats and Republicans in Oregon are "ticked off," as they should be. So am I!

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/inde … r_ore.html

2. drbillfannin profile image59
    drbillfanninposted 5 years ago

The government rules are so complicated that no one in Congress has a clue. That's how a million dollar lottery winner legally got food stamps for a year before they could stop her. There are legal loop holes in everything. There is always a way to get over on the government and use money for purposes other than what was intended. That's why I would like to see most of the Federal Government dismantled  and power returned to the states. We are supposed to be a Federalist Republic of States. Even the states have problems, but at least their screw ups don't affect the whole country. I wish we had more people like Ron Paul who want Washington to go back to their constitutional responsibility of protecting the people and resolving conflicts between the states. That's all the power they are supposed to have.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Seriously. Do away with Congress altogether. Maybe go to one...yes one representative per state. No elite senators. States make their own laws within the bounds of the Constitution and the feds oversea only what they're supposed to - foreign affairs, military, national security and possible some federal offenses.

1. drbillfannin profile image59
        drbillfanninposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No not do away them all. The states still need representatives. We need to get rid of the nanny state federal powers that take money from working people to pay for federal programs that often waste our money. Plus there are way too many laws, rules,and regulations. The health care bill alone was so long that not one congressman even read it. That's a government program which can only go bad very quickly. It's no wonder stimulus money doesn't get to the right people.  The Feds have too much control over our money and our lives.

3. Greek One profile image78
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

can I please be stimulated?

1. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Here? Now?

2. ngureco profile image87
      ngurecoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Please find your stimulus cheque here below. Enjoy!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6294680.jpg

1. Michael Willis profile image77
        Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

lol, where did you find this?

2. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Too funny!

working