jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Is there peace and harmony or is chaos taking over?

1. Marla Rose profile image87
    Marla Roseposted 4 years ago

What have we become a nation of in humane humans or is peace knocking at our door?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image94
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your question is quite broad, but I'll make a stab at answering it.  From my viewpoint, chaos seems to be taking over.  Things have changed dramatically in America and life is moving so fast that most people are overwhelmed by what is going on.  What used to be true no longer is true.  The things we used to be able to count on are disappearing.  Trust has flown out the window.  These are very difficult times that certainly could use some peace and harmony, but I fear that is not going to happen,

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago

Chaos is harmony.

3. 0
    Peelander Gallyposted 4 years ago

Personally, I think the key problems in the U.S. that have caused such sharp polarisation are ignorance of world issues and their importance and an unjustified attitude of hostility toward a global market, economy and community coupled with the continued refusal of the patriarchal establishment to accept women as equals in society.

If you ask, for example, how such radical wing nuts have managed to come to the forefront of the GOP, you can blame ignorance and entirely unjustified egocentrism on the part of the yokels voting for them as well as misogyny in more extreme (and recently publicised) cases. When it comes to the economy, you can blame the sweeping deregulation ushered in by our last fabulous president and the self-serving attitudes of all the people at the top who stood to profit from it. Not to mention the fact that all of the biggest corporations have laid off scores of workers during the recession and then posted record profits, the fact that women still don't make 3/4 of what men do and the fact that the average worker's salary has actually decreased in the last 25 years while inflation and the cost of living have soared. That fits in because of the fact that all of those CEO's, politicians and hedge fund managers did not care and do not care about the effects of their actions not only on the U.S. but on the global economy. It also fits in because the same ignorant hordes were supporting this once again. If there was widespread understanding of and outrage over such policies, on top of countless others, I don't think funneling all the money in the world into the news and campaigns of the people responsible would have resulted in their being elected. Keeping people stupid and scared keeps things running smoothly for the ultrarich.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's nice to read a post like this in these forums. The fact that millions of dollars are being funded by the super pacs to campaign the worst set of GOP candidates that I can think of in my lifetime is reason enough to understand the chaotic political arena. It starts from the top down.

4. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Actually, we (and every other country) have always been a mess. It's just that now with cable and the internet, information is more easily disseminated to make us aware of that fact.big_smile

1. 0
      Peelander Gallyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

5. Laura in Denver profile image82
    Laura in Denverposted 4 years ago

I think there has always been both peace and harmony, it just shifts locations over time and varies in ideology. We tend to get exposed to upsetting news, which makes us think things are headed for the worse. But think of Roman conquests, the Crusades killing, both world wars and the hideous Nazi regime and other genocide.