Hub pages is it a haven for right wing fundamentalist loonies?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Linkusblessposted 12 years ago

Getting people to follow you on hub pages seems to be something one has to really work at.  I have 4 followers!  And after reading a post on the google sandbox and checking google referrals, in a little over 2 months on hub pages  I have had attracted a grand total of 17 referrals from google.  It barely seems worth it, does it?

I've zoomed around in hubpages looking for like minded souls, trying to find some 'tribe' but the amount of right wing Christian fundamentalist lunacy I find sends me packing.  I'm not too concerned about not being considered popular when I think of what is popular in today's world, but the time and effort of seeking out people times the hits that hub pages generates from the web at large, doesn't exactly engender me to the whole idea of spending too much effort here.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently you haven't looked very far after all.  Matter of fact, it's usually the Left-wing philosophy and radical Progressive talk that gets free rein around here.  And biased accusations like you made by referring to "Christian fundamentalist lunacy", "crap", and "nutters".   So it shouldn't take you long to feel right at home here.

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps it is.  I don't know though.  I'm really left-wing, and I've found others like me.  I've also found a lot of moderates and right-wingers.  It would be interesting though, if there were some official stats on the matter.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter-- you can find all kinds of loonies here. Do you own thing.

3. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Such circles of leftists do exist, there are some right wings nut circles too, both sides will tell you that there are way too many of the other really the distribution is more or less equal with slightly fewer conservatives who are rather more vocal on average so it works out to about even. I'll give you a follow, hey we at least share the side of the political spectrum we are on right? and If you look through my followers and give them a follow you will find all but a three or four are also very much on the left of the spectrum, People to watch out for as far as leftists are: Jandee, John Holden  and Lovemychris I can almost guarantee you will be less leftist than them (or me tongue) then there are Ralph Deeds, Hollie Thomas, Aunt Jimi, Pcunix and pagesvoice. I am not sure if this sort of list is what you are looking for but I pretty much guarantee that all of them would be willing to at least have a look at anything you write politically as would I. I will give you a follow.

Briefly some warnings be wary of: American Romance, Brenda, Lions Den media and Frog Prince if you don't want to talk to radical conservatives, I have a great conversation going on with American Romance currently on one of his threads so it's not to say they are all bad or not worth talking to but you may find what they say shocking. American Romance for example at one point said that black people should be grateful for having been enslaved because that brought them to America.

Anyway I hope this helps you settle in, I would have appreciated this knowledge when I first came here.

1. profile image0

Umm.  Thanks for the attempt at introductions (lol) but I must point out that being mainstream, old-school conservative like I am is NOT "radical", it is a basic tenet of America, Josak.  Unless you consider being right, being radical.
        It is certain fringe elements of citizenry that have decided to try to close in on mainstream citizenry that's the "radical" influence.
        Just clearing that up for you.  Take note of it.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All I know if old school conservatives like William F. Buckley were here he would kick the current radical conservatives to the curb...

4. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup in modern society being an absolute bible believer who despises gay marriage etc does make you a radical, it wasn't say 50 years ago but now it is. Sorry Brenda, I am a radical leftist at least have the guts to admit what you are.

"I now  retain that profile statement and add that I'm pretty bold as well.    Just as bold as the current liberal agenda in the United States!   Just as bold as the atheists and the blatant-perversion-agenda activists!    And I'm happy with that; happy to be among the few who are like me,  just not as "tolerated" as those with a liberal agenda.   That boldness, along with prayer, is what's needed as the nations become more tolerant of many things that chip away at the moral basis of humanity's laws.  In particular my America is in need of more bold Christians!  "

Yup this makes you a radical.

1. profile image0

Hmm..
        Why?  Because I'm unafraid of defending this Nation's foundational principles that were based on Biblical principles?

Well, that does take the cake.  I'm recalling how Obama and his cronies started that rumor on a National level that conservatives are radical.  And apparently you've bought into it, perhaps not even realize that you're mimicking his dronings. 
        If therefore I'm radical to the Left-minded, then so be it; I'm a card-carrying radical in their eyes.  Not a bad thing after all.  Especially considering that our President is indeed so radical that he has changed the Democrat Party into the Progressive Party with his bullying policies and rhetoric and propoganda.

5. Dolores Monet profile image95
      Dolores Monetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Two months is not a long time. Gathering followers as well as traffic from outside HP does take some time. Have patience. From what I've read, you are a good writer presenting interesting topics. That should do it. I'd give it at least 8 months to see some real traffic.

6. donotfear profile image84
      donotfearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CONGRATULATIONS!
      You've just made yourself popular on Hubpages with your warm, welcoming introduction!
      Let's everyone give her a round of applause for breaking through.

Sincerley,
      A Southern right-wing, religious, pentacostal, radical, fundamentalist, lunatic maniac, conservative clinging to my guns, my Bible and my hound dog! 

It's all in the Avatar.....

2. profile image0
    Linkusblessposted 12 years ago

In space no one can hear you scream huh?  Heh!  I finally got my adsense approved, and so in I dunno 12 months time at the rate I'm going I can hope to have made 10 cents-- perhaps.  Hubpages seemed promising, but it really is a lot of time and effort sifting through an awful lot of crap and complete nutters.

3. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

EVERYONE starts out in the same boat. Really. In my first 6 months I earnt about $5 (and that was with about 60 hubs). Now I'me earning several hundred a month on this account, and I haven't written on it for nearly a year. You'll find that's the average for EVERY newbie.

It takes time, backlinks and good keywords to get Google views. You can also put a link or two to your hubs in the Extreme Hub Makeover forum if you want some advice on how to optimize.

And if you stay out of the religious/political forums you won't run into the loonies. tongue

1. profile image0
      Linkusblessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks wry lit I'm sure hubpages loves you.  Good on you-- really.  EVERY one says much the same as you.   Keep going, keep working, keep churning out the content.

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm fairly sure Hubpages doesn't love me, after some of the things I've said about them in the past. smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Zli6c6CxJXc/TN2Yy3pH93I/AAAAAAAABPU/z-y68dN5f_k/s1600/tein.jpg

LOL big_smile

1. profile image0
        Linkusblessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yeah LOL tres cute.  For hubpages, quite possibly.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oawz6fN7fbI/Tyr6AjgY13I/AAAAAAAABR8/dRBW5wW6GIQ/s1600/if-you-could-reason-with-religious-people.jpg
          Hope this perks you up.smile

5. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

If I can make money on here writing nonsense, you can make money on actual content. You just have to keep going, let stuff "mature" and "index" and "insert other internet terms here" and, eventually, somehow, it starts paying.

It's hard at first because, well, you don't SEE anything. We get used to a "paycheck" mentality. I do the work; I get paid.

It just doesn't work like that. This is more like planting seeds. Gonna be a while before you pick any fruit, but if you don't keep planting seeds because the first ones aren't doing crap as fast as you like, well, you end up with a small orchard and a harvest that ain't really all that financially or emotionally gratifying a few seasons down the road.

As long as you are doing GOOD writing (clean, articulate, engaging), and doing the right SEO stuff to make it competitive with carefully chosen keywords and all that other stuff that makes me yawn and drink and write satire instead, well, you'll be fine.

HP is a great place to learn how to write online. And it's great for lazy people like me who don't mind letting other people do a lot of the technical stuff so I don't have to learn it.

Well said...

Just being nosy here... I know you're here as the funnyman, but do you make a reasonable income on HP? I've always wondered!

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Triple digits. Not high into them, but then if you look how few hubs I have in almost four years, it seems pretty good--especially since I don't write anything useful, or almost nothing anyway. Plus the traffic has helped people find my books, so, that's really where the value is for me.

WOW impressive! I think you're doing better than some people who keyword research and SEO who have the same amount of hubs smile

2. Shanna11 profile image75
          Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nothing useful? Your articles have changed my life!  Not to mention your book! I'm sure it's good and all- I haven't actually gotten around to reading it-but like I mentioned earlier, the 'scandalous' front cover is oh-so-good at keeping my roommate at bay. I just sort of chuck it at the general area currently occupied by her head, and she shuts up in seconds!

LOL, that's so funny.

You know, the cover is such a marketing decision too. It's such a moral book. I've had comments from people on Amazon commenting on how the cover doesn't fit the story. It actually does, it's a scene from it, but, well, there are some marketing liberties taking place as well. Double-edged sword I guess.

I hope you read it. Would love to know what you think.

6. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

That's hilarious.

I can't go 5 feet without hitting a liberal loonie!

I think this forum just proves that liberals aren't as accepting as they think they are.

7. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

I've been regularly posting on this forum for just a few weeks and I feel like I'm drowning in liberals. Where have you been going?

Herd animals only see the predators. That's why the conservatives and the liberals all feel HP is infested with the other. So to the Christians and atheists. Pro abortion and pro choice. Gay marriage or not. Etc. Pick your polemic unmoving stance, they are all born from the conceited ideologies of people who mindlessly and conceitedly believe they have the singular, universal truth.

The Internet makes it easier to feel "right" too. No thought required. Even less reading.

1. innersmiff profile image66
        innersmiffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah, the fence sitter!

Spoken like someone who has found absolute truth and has no reason to think any longer. It's all fine and "peaceful" until alternative opinions press too hard, then it's time to start killing to carve out space for the righteous. Strap on a bomb, open up a gas chamber, train up some Inquisitors. Whatever it takes, right?  Preserve Truth. Break some eggs for the omelet. All that rot.

Sure history is full of that stuff, and of course THOSE times were wrong (or at least say that out loud). But they were all primitive. THIS is the time. THIS time it's actually true. Those other people who were so certain that they had it right, that the TIME had really come, that THIS was it... they were all dumb primitives, unenlightened; they missed it, misread it, etc. But not you. You have it. You get it. You're so smart. You belong to the first generation of humans that actually matters, unlike the tens, even hundreds of thousands of generations before. YOU get it.

I'm not saying you don't have all the answers. Maybe you do. Maybe YOU are the one smart enough to figure it out, recognize the TRUTH.

But to me, that attitude is just ragingly, unfathomably huge arrogance--and conversely, myopic retardation all at once.

But, history is so piled up with dead bodies brought about by horrific, evil, arrogant people armed with "certainty" that has, over and over and over and over, proven to be absolute crap and ignorance that I'm going to go ahead and assume you probably haven't picked the right "side of the fence" either. I just hope your "side" doesn't get too much momentum and try to wipe out a race or two, or maybe just kill a few hundred thousand "unbelievers" or "non-conformants."

My first principle is non-violence. I want to work with people to figure out what's the best we can reduce violence in this world . . . without violence.

That was a very moving piece but you've just jumped to a conclusion.

There's a big difference between this response and the "fence sitter" response. This response makes it sound like you don't think there's only two sides.

Do you not have any personal truths?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We're doing our best. But you keep coming up for air. Try breathing in when you're head is under water!

8. jaskar profile image68
    jaskarposted 12 years ago

the internet is a place of odd people. that pretty much all i can add to the conversation as its already been taken over the loons.
    moderation and practicality over blind ideology<- one day people will learn that lesson

9. profile image0
    PJ_Deneenposted 12 years ago

I've always found this place to be nearly equal with lunatics on both sides but with a slight lean to the left.  I don't understand treating HP as a social networking site though and followers really don't have much to do with income potential.  But just keep exploring.  It's a huge site and if you want to meet others of like mind you will find plenty.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Well.. according to the the Population Reference Bureau, (along with some pre-history speculation) from 50,000 B.C. through 2011, 108 billion people have lived on earth. It seems more than looney to expect that there is only one right way to live. There are loonies on all sides when one expects that their perspective on life is the only right way.
    But there do seem to be some rather far out beliefs expressed here, especially in the forums.

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2002/HowMan … Earth.aspx

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)