jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (45 posts)

Does Maher have to make fun of everyone??

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 5 years ago

He referred to yesterday's AL and MS voters as "toothless":

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-shepp … z1p3LG4lTA

This guy is just mean! Why can't he be more like Jon Stewart? Stewart is actually funnier to me, yet he's not nearly as vile as Maher.

1. PrettyPanther profile image84
      PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, he can be mean.  Is he any worse than Jeff Foxworthy with his redneck jokes?

1. profile image0
        Longhunterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Foxworthy telling a redneck joke is like you or I telling a joke on a family member. He is one.

Everything Maher says is mean thus the intended humor is lost.

1. habee profile image90
          habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's what I was going to say!

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well he insults Democrats all the time for being spineless and afraid to stand up for themselves.  Every person is a possible target, which means he is an equal opportunity offender.

3. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 5 years ago in reply to this

People who can't take a joke need to lighten up a bit, he is a comedian, there are a lot of comedians who get most of their laughs out of saying shocking things. See Daniel Tosh, Carlos Mencia etc. the point is a joke is a joke, the same thing said seriously can be offensive, that's why plenty of stand up comedians and stuff still do racial jokes and people laugh, people who would probably kick them to the curb if they actually thought they meant it as something other than a joke. Besides calling voters spineless is hardly mean.

4. WD Curry 111 profile image60
      WD Curry 111posted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is his gig. I don't like him at all. I never watch. He reminds me of a jerk I went to military school with. He wasn't smart and he didn't have talent, but he would say anything to get attention. Sometimes it was funny when he popped off at inappropriate times, but his perpetual smirk made you want to punch him in the mouth

If Maher had an original thought, it would die of lonliness.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow, he and Limbaugh have a lot in common.

1. profile image0

Add in Obama and you have a trio. The Three Stooges, shall we say. Limbaugh would be Moe, the smart one.

5. Thinking Allowed profile image60
      Thinking Allowedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He's a comedian, so...yeah. Comedians have different styles some are "blue", as they say, and others are more tame. It's not new.

6. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

He likes his comedy to be controversial, he's political too.
      My son likes him and we have HBO just so he can watch Bill Maher.

Tosh has an unusual humor too.

7. Daniel Carter profile image92
      Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I used to like Maher, but over time, I've come to the same conclusion. He really puts out the attitude that humanity is stupid and he's the only one who should gather his egotistical friends and mock it all. I saw him in Beverly Hills last year on a trip to LA for business, and he and his cronies were quite loud and condescending at a table near ours. The pretense is always about "intelligence" or lack thereof. But I don't think that truly "intelligent" people have to make a mockery of everyone around them to prove they are somehow better. All it says is that they are truly small people with a narrow view, and that they are apparently very insecure as human beings.

And I agree that Jon Stewart is funny, smart, and still has some respect for people in general.

1. habee profile image90

Daniel, thank you for your thoughtful comment!

2. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

Toothless? That is mean.

I would have made a joke about inbreeding, myself.

Something like.. "Newt overestimated his support in Alabama.  In one county, he received the support from a man's brother, father and uncle.... but it turned out to be just one vote."

smile

3. Jason Marovich profile image87
    Jason Marovichposted 5 years ago

Maher just keeps making his plan to take over the world more difficult.  Everyone knows you need to win the South to take over the world!

1. Greek One profile image80
      Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Don't believe what you hear.

http://www.jacksonadvocateonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Jeff-Davis-pix.jpg

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
        Jason Marovichposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good point.

1. profile image0

We may not win but we won't die without one hell of a fight.

YEEEEEEE HAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. habee profile image90

Yep, cuz we's da ones whats got da guns. lol

4. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Isn't that what a lot of comedians do?

I prefer Jon Stewart and Lewis Black myself.

1. habee profile image90

I love Jon Stewart!

5. breakfastpop profile image85
    breakfastpopposted 5 years ago

Lewis Black and Jon Stewart are funny. Maher is vile, totally vile.

1. habee profile image90

Agreed.

6. Teddletonmr profile image78
    Teddletonmrposted 5 years ago

Bill is the voice of the liberals that believe himself or herself smarter than everyone else on the planet. Without that mine set his humor escapes the good ole boys and girls that enjoy a tall glass of sweet tea. 
    Just smile, wave and have a slice of cornbread with a mason jar full of ice cold  sweet tea. while you pattern that ole scatter shot thingy.wink

1. habee profile image90

I can do that, Mike! I have the tea and the scatter gun, and I can sure as heck make a skillet of cornbread. lol

1. Teddletonmr profile image78
        Teddletonmrposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Outstanding, cornbread and sweet iced tea.
        Be well. Mike

7. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Jon Stewart, Lewis Black (I love both of them) Maher, Ricky Gervais.....the list goes on.  They can be mean, but basically, it's all under the heading of entertainment & comedy. IMO, the whole damned world needs to loosen up and not be so defensive and take things both literally and personally.  The bottom line to what we're talking about here is....we have remotes for changing channels and an off switch, as well. We're not forced to listen to them.
    I can name two rude, crude, highly insulting pundits who are NOT in the comedy business and they are sickening and ignorant: Rush Limbaugh & Bill O'Reilly.....O'Reilly is BIG on passive-aggresive remarks because he truly believes the whole world is stupid and he's the only one who knows anything. I have always thought Limbaugh is some sort of Twisted Joke the media created just for the hell of it.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+ I also like Colbert. As you said, it's all under the heading of entertainment.
      While Maher can be rude at times, what he says is usually on target.

And I so agree that the world needs to lighten up... in fact I just posted this on my FB feed. Turn off the news, change channels, go to the beach,park, anywhere and get away from the madness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYiGA_r … r_embedded

2. habee profile image90

I don't usually get upset about comedy, but Maher often takes things too far: calling women vile names, comparing metally handicapped kids to dogs, etc. The prob is that Maher probably really believes that everyone in the Deep South is stupid, uneducated, inbred, and toothless. In fact, I think a lot of people believe the stereotype. Nancy Pelosi's daughter did a video depicting southern voters, and it was very demeaning. Have you seen it?

I guess as an "educated" southerner, I get a bit defensive. Some of us are trying to break out of our old stereotype. And hey - notice my pic? Those are my REAL teeth! lol

As for Rush, I've already condemned him several times. He's vile.

1. fpherj48 profile image78
        fpherj48posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Exactly,  As an educated woman from any area of the country, you can easily ignore rude people and ignorant remarks.  If others feel the shoe fits, let them wear it.  Funny, I was going to mention your beautiful smile.....(the "toothless" red neck is as created a character as the "dumb" blonde, the "drunk" Irishman, the "mobster," Italian, etal)....we can laugh, get angry or ignore entirely.)  "New Yorkers" must carry the label of rude, self-indulgent, unfeeling snobs.  The reality couldn't be further from this. 
        Personally, I refuse to give in to the crazed "politically correct" addicts who have lost all use of common sense & judgement.

1. habee profile image90

You're right. Sorry, I guess I'm just a little too sensitive when it comes to the South and southerners. I'm going to try to lighten up. In light of that, I'll throw in a joke:

Did you know the toothbrush was invented in the South?

Yes, because if it had been invented anywhere else, it would have been called a TEETHbrush. lol

2. PrettyPanther profile image84

It's all in the eye of the beholder, I think.  He also disses on fat people and religious people.  It is humor, and for humor to work, there must be an element of truth to it.

It would be easy to get offended by pretty much any comedian, if one decided to look at humor in a serious light.  Look at Rodney Dangerfield and his wife jokes.  Some feminists take issue with that.  Remember Andrew Dice Clay?  Heck, even Bill Cosby offended some with his Fat Albert character.

8. carol3san profile image60
    carol3sanposted 5 years ago

Maher was poking fun at the poor souls the woman showed in her documentary video.  They weren't only poor and toothless, but they have a history of voting against their own best interest. 
    We all know that they don't represent the entire state of Alabama or Mississippi, but there are obviously many in those states that have the same ideology.  I believe one of them in the video stated that he recieved food stamps because he deserved them.  I suppose he doesn't understand that the food stamp program is largely a program put into place by the democrats.

9. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Yes, Maher does have to make fun of everyone. That's his job. lol

Does he have to say things that make us cringe sometimes?
    Probably not. But that's his brand of humor.
    He's an acquired taste(less). smile

10. PrettyPanther profile image84
    PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago

What do you get when you offer a Liberal a penny for his thoughts?

Change.

Now, THAT's funny!  And I'm a liberal. lol

1. profile image0

What do you get when you cross an Auburn football player with a pig?

Nothing. There's somethings even a pig won't do!

1. PrettyPanther profile image84

smile

I raise pigs.  They're smart!

1. habee profile image90

We used to raise pigs, too, and they are smart. They can also be very affectionate.

1. fpherj48 profile image78
            fpherj48posted 5 years ago in reply to this

habee.....wow...thanks for the info.  I'm running right out and buy myself a baby pig.  Smart and affectionate?  Just the kind of pet I'm looking for....lmao.
            My son raises 2 pigs a year, to fill his freezer of course.  I didn't realize they are smart and loving....couldn't get close enough to them. STINK to high heaven!  But I did love Mr. Zither from "Green Acres!!"  This question is turning into a whole bunch of FUN!!   Jokes and all!  Habee, a "teethbrush??" Now THAT is funny!!

2. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Got a giggle out of that one big_smile

11. lovemychris profile image81
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

A favorite on Fox, and friend of Hannity:

"NUGENT [video clip]: I was in Chicago. I said, "Hey, Obama, you might want to suck on one of these, you punk!"

Obama, he's a piece of [bleep]. And I told him to suck on my machine gun. Let's hear it for it.

And I was in New York. I said, "Hey, Hillary, you might want to ride one of these into the sunset, you worthless [bleep]!" (wh*re)

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You think that would have warranted a visit from the Secret Service...

12. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Ted Nugent is vile. I said this along time ago in the HP forums. I can't imagine saying something like that to a POTUS.

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yep.  He said Obama and Hilary needed to suck on the end of his gun, while holding an actual one on stage.  Then he went on Hannity, who never did ask for an apology from him.  Very curious if you ask me.

13. MakinBacon profile image85
    MakinBaconposted 5 years ago

He doesn't make fun of everyone. After all, how many vile comments has he made about liberals or liberal women?

working