jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

another violation of 1st amendment in military..

1. SparklingJewel profile image69
    SparklingJewelposted 4 years ago

...as I pointed out before, how does taking rights from one group secure the rights of another?

“Conscience clauses are common in civilian law but conspicuously absent in the repeal legislation. Under the MRLFA, within disciplinary limits already set in the UCMJ, service members and chaplains would be able to speak openly about their sincerely held religious and moral beliefs at all times, without fear of career reprisals,” the analysis says.

Now, under procedures set up by the Obama administration, chaplains only have such freedom in their worship services, and they could be punished for “resistance” to the indoctrination of homosexual behavior in the ranks.

“Service members deployed far from home have a right to receive counsel from chaplains endorsed by their faith group who are free to express their views on matters of morality at all times, not just during worship services. Religious study groups, the Army’s ‘Strong Bonds’ marriage counseling program, and social, educational, or family/athletic activities frequently involve the expression of sincerely held beliefs outside of worship services,” the analysis says.

Obama’s “new policy takes sides between a minority of military chaplains who have no moral objections to homosexual conduct, and the majority of chaplains who do,” the analysis says. “Absent congressional action, constitutional rights of conscience will be protected for one group but not the other.”

read the full article at:
    http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/bill-to-let- … w-of-gays/

2. mikelong profile image84
    mikelongposted 4 years ago

What nonsense...

I am an atheist....and when I was in the Marines I was forced to participate in group prayers beginning in bootcamp. My rights were being infringed upon, and when I wanted to speak to someone about personal issues, instead of sending me to the base psychologist (as I requested), I routinely was stuck talking to my battalion chaplain..

How was that supposed to solve anything?

For a long time, the military has used its authority to falsely prop up religion that a great many of its members do not participate in, or want to.

It is easy for those opposing homosexuality to whine, but it is about time they learn to see things from the other side of the looking glass.

I am not gay, but know many of my brothers and sisters in arms who were/are. If we wish to discuss rights in this thread, why don't we start with the longstanding code of authorized bigotry that has stood until Obama's Administration.

I am glad that things are changing. Those who have problems with homosexuals are bigots, and they don't deserve to wear the uniform.

3. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago

Thank you Mike. I was forced to say prayers in school too, and my parents never sqwuaked.

And how long have gays been discriminated against while still paying taxes--MORE, because they don't get the married with children benefits--, and serving in war??
    The church is the one who gets a big bonus by going tax free.

They have MORE priveledges than we all do!

4. SparklingJewel profile image69
    SparklingJewelposted 4 years ago

it is important to remember to not trash someone else's rights just because you feel your own has been

remember, separation between church and state is not in the constitution, it was in a letter to a church assuring them that government could not curtail their rights to religion...the 1st Amendment

thinking on these issues is all out of whack with people

school prayer should not be a problem...just call it a quiet time and teach the children everyone has the right to use that quiet time as they are taught at home...not to be taught at school or rejected at school

and as far as the military goes, they have been out of whack for too long anyway just in how they treat people in general...let alone their religious or sexual orientation...Obama didn't do it right, he mucked around with blocking religious rights of those that have them

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Anyone may pray silently whenever and wherever they wish.  Or not, the choice is theirs, not yours!

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

I don't quite see the problem here.  I thought a military chaplain was to minister to any and all that needed spiritual help - not just those of his or her own faith, or those that believed the same.

Our military has moved out of the 18th century is this regard, and it will behoove the chaplain to move with them.  If they don't want to do the job they are being paid to do, let them do something else.  If they won't carry a gun (that's fine) they can be a mechanic, a medic or a cook.  They can even sit home safe in the states pushing paper while their charges are risking their lives and souls on the battlefield. 

My father served in Korea as a mule skinner, driving mule teams carrying supplies.  When the army took the mules away and provided trucks he didn't cry that he didn't like mechanical beasts; he learned to drive a 10 wheeler.  Let the chaplain do the same; if he won't do his new job, he can learn something else of value to the military.