jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Wow: Pelosi video on Maher

1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

I complained about Alexandra Pelosi's video about toothless southerners. Now she has one about "welfare queens" in NYC. Looks like she's trying to be fair:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ … ients.html

HBO didn't want to air the video, but Maher allowed it.

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is interesting.  Maher was right about the guy who had been in prison.  That is often times a major deterrent to someone being able to find work. 

However, what really should be talked about is these guys are no better than most corporate CEOs in America.  CEOs are literally getting rich off the backs of other people.  They don't grow the food; they don't drive the trucks; they don't run the stores; they don't work in the manufacturing plants.  Without all of these other parts working together, the company literally would cease to function.    The welfare bums were nowhere near rich.

They have "business meetings" to talk about production quotas, marketing strategies (psychological manipulation to persuade people to buy things they didn't know they wanted or needed), and business deals, where both sides are trying to rip each other off the greatest extent that they can get away with.  Or as the most recent episode of undercover boss showed, how much Gatorade to take away from the workers.

So we have some stragglers at the bottom who don't want to do anything, and then exploiters at the top who want to make millions off of other people.  Which one exactly is worse?  The corporations are literally aiding in the destruction of our environment by blocking legislation (with the entire GOP, and conservative wing of the Democrats) that would make us cleaner and greener.  WHERE IS THE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for the thousands of kids who have asthma, or the people who die of heart disease from pollution, or the destruction of the rainforest?  Where is the apology for the recent financial crisis where the banks received untold amounts of taxpayer money, more than the entire federal welfare budget over ten years (700 billion).  The FIRST Bush bailout was 700 billion alone!  I see no corporate CEO standing up and saying, "my bad guys."  Nor can we forget the costs of the wars to ensure we have control of the oil we are so desperately addicted to.

However, the market gives what the consumer wants in many cases.  The average American is just as much to blame for the current environmental destruction that is currently occurring as the corporate CEO, for they do not demand they change their practices.  All they care about is cheap stuff.   In order for society to change, the mirror would be a great place to start.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

No comments?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

She learned to be fair from her mother. But the video was one-sided and unfair to the many people who need help because they are unemployed or unable to work.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Right. Just like the video she made of toothless, ignorant southerners showed only one side.

2. SparklingJewel profile image68
      SparklingJewelposted 4 years ago in reply to this

frankly, I don't get where she was coming from, or what she was trying to "say".

the differences in why people need help are many...we can't stereotype them. they need to be met as individual situations to truly help, either by assistance, counseling or jail hmm

1. lovemychris profile image78
        lovemychrisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Me neither!! What was this supposed to prove?

1. habee profile image92

Don't ask me. It was made by one on your team. lol

1. lovemychris profile image78
            lovemychrisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I want nothing to do with that weirdo.

3. mio cid profile image67
    mio cidposted 4 years ago

There are many people who get welfare or other government money who shouldn't get it,and when they are found out and stop getting it nobody complains. but try to take the billions of dollars in subsidies or tax breaks that for example the oil companies get or big   pharma, or  stop health insurance companies from cheating their customers and the whole republican apparatus breaks loose and goes ballistic about it.

1. habee profile image92

Umm...this was made and presented by a liberal - not a Republican.

4. SpanStar profile image62
    SpanStarposted 4 years ago

It hasn't been that long ago when I saw a guy perhaps in his late 20s who had gotten a grant I'm not sure for how long but I believe he's been working his project for about 2 years and he still had more years to go, so what was his grant for-(studying either buddles-yes like kids buy and blow or rubber balloons all which could and can be bought out of the 5 and dime store.