jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Marine critical of Obama faces dismissal charges

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Associated PressBy JULIE WATSON
    SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Marine Corps on Wednesday notified a sergeant who has been openly critical of President Barack Obama that he is violating Pentagon policy barring troops from political activities and that he faces dismissal.

Camp Pendleton Marine Sgt. Gary Stein started a Facebook page called Armed Forces Tea Party to encourage fellow service members to exercise their free speech rights. He declared a few weeks ago that he would not follow the unlawful orders of the commander in chief. Stein also criticized Defense Secretary Leon Panetta for his comments on Syria.
    http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-marin … 04515.html
    I think this is an interesting dilemma;he wants to exercise his constitutional rights to free speech and the military forbids it.

1. Paul Wingert profile image78
      Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Welcome to the military.

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

People in the military don't have free speech nor do they have the authority to say they will disregard an order by a superior, I don't think he should be discharged immediately merely warned that he is breaking the chain of command and given basic punishment, if the behaviour continues he should be discharged.

2. getitrite profile image82
    getitriteposted 4 years ago

Since he is in the military, he doesn't exactly have free speech.  And since the president is the highest person in this marine's chain of command, this seems to be a case of insubordination...on a grand scale. 

If this goes unchallenged, it would set a dangerous precedence. 

When I was in the Corps, the Commandant of the Marine Corps was a god.  You would never scrutinize the Commandant, ever!  And just think, the president is the Commandant's boss.

I think this Marine deserves a dishonorable discharge.