jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

Europeans are world's heaviest drinkers: WHO report

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

People in Europe drink more alcohol than in any other part of the world, downing the equivalent of 12.5 liters of pure alcohol a year or almost three glasses of wine a day, according to report by the World Health Organization and the European Commission.
    ...the heaviest drinkers were in central-eastern and eastern Europe - consuming 14.5 liters of pure alcohol per adult per year compared to 12.4 liters in central-western and western Europe, 11.2 liters in southern Europe and 10.4 liters in Nordic countries...
    http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/europ … who-report

I thought Americans drank heavily...WHO knew

1. Shadesbreath profile image90
      Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hey, I'm trying. Personally, I ashamed by this report. Every American is to blame too. It's like, I can't do this by myself. Some of you people need to pick up the slack.

1. Josak profile image60
        Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Right with you buddy, bottoms up.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It must be very cold in those places. And I can't remember the last time I drink alcohol!!!

1. Hugh Williamson profile image90
        Hugh Williamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It was this morning.

3. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Two big factors concerning the decline of alcohol usage in the United States:

1.  Tough drinking and driving laws.

2.  No smoking in bars (at least, in Michigan. I assume there are quite a few states now with this, and the number will grow over time).

4. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

12.5 liters a year is just over 1 liter a month. That's nothing!

Most folk I know can easily drink a liter of whisky or vodka in a week, and that is light drinking.

Heavy drinkers down that amount in a day.

2. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 4 years ago

Since when has 3 glasses of wine a day been heavy drinking?  Isn't that just lunch?

Don't forget that you don't even get to start drinking in many parts of the US until you are 21, and whenever I have been in the States you really don't seem to be big drinkers.

Every country in Europe is different, with a different drinking culture.  In the UK there seems to be a lot of binge drinking going on, especially in town centre bars that do deals and sell drinks cheap.  The Friday night after work drink in London is almost an institution and catching the last train home can be interesting to say the least. Most people I know have a story involving being asleep or too inebriated to get off at their stop, and more than a few have found themselves stuck in the bus station/train depot in the early hours of the morning.

1. Karanda profile image83
      Karandaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm hoping they included babies to 90 year olds in the average or I am seriously considering joining AA. Same as you, I thought 3 glasses of wine was good for lunch. Next time your down my way be sure to drop in so we can do lunch. lol

1. CMHypno profile image89
        CMHypnoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sure thing Karanda, red or white? smile

3. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

In many areas of Europe wine is simply what you drink. For a long time before water purification, it was the only thing you could drink that wouldn't make you sick. Plus in many areas wine is cheaper than soda. So wine is what the plebeians drink and soda is what you drink if you're some elitist snob (well, maybe not really).

4. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

It's been said that Spanish children are given wine with meals from an early age. Its a cultural thing I guess.

5. AfricaResource profile image85
    AfricaResourceposted 4 years ago

I would most certainly go along with the cultural thing! Germans and the English especially are heavy drinkers, its something you grow up with and binge drinking is a culture. Maybe its down to the weather.

6. Moderndayslave profile image60
    Moderndayslaveposted 4 years ago

They obviously didn't ask anyone I know.