jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Could Racism Destroy Our Society?

1. SonQuioey10 profile image85
    SonQuioey10posted 4 years ago

And I'm asking in regard to living anywhere with neighbors of another race or culture.

Racial profiling is serious, in that it can be dangerous to anyone. Racism and discrimination creates hatred, then anger, and can cause social issues ranging from medical malpractice to murder in cold blood. It can plunge a country into war on the streets, violence, and crimes spurred by hatred.

Should we allow racism to be tolerated on any level from anyone?

Or, should we voice opposition to any behavior like this from anyone from 2012 on out? Just treat it like someone stole an atomic bomb with the intent of world destruction.

1. Eric Newland profile image61
      Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Repeal the first amendment, you mean?

Unfortunately, it's necessary that we allow people to say and think whatever they want and only act when they do something illegal. To do otherwise would be tyrannical. Even if it's equally tyrannical to everyone.

2. lovemychris profile image78
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago

"Florida republican politician runs campaign ad depicting Obama as captain of a slave ship full of white children."

What will anyone do about this racism?

3. SonQuioey10 profile image85
    SonQuioey10posted 4 years ago

@Eric Newland Not at all. People know the difference between expressing their dislikes in speeches and expressing it in violence.

With racism, things always tend to get out of control and people do get violent. I'm thinking, change no amendment, just resist racism because of what it can lead to. Prohibit it from being expressed with violence without consequences.

Gotta go to work, to be continued... 

And you didn't answer my question.

1. Eric Newland profile image61
      Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your question:

"Should we allow racism to be tolerated on any level from anyone?"

My answer:

Socially, no, as far as how individuals react to, fail to react to, or enable such beliefs. But legally, yes, until they break the law. Then they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. And yes, that part could certainly use some fixing in some cases.

Does that answer your question?

4. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 4 years ago

I believe an alternate title would be "Has Racism Destroyed Our Society?"

When we say our society we usually are talking about uniformity, cohesion, trust as well as social interactions. Yet we remain fearful of one another, suspicious of one another these conditions do not mark a homogeneous society. The damage has been done even though there is some semblance social interactions any time we address race battle lines are usually formed.

Repealing the First Amendment was offered up as a suggestion. I believe part of our problem as Americans is our desire to have everything, which is to say 'if I am free then let me smoke my dope, express my epithets as well as anything else I want to do and leave me alone.' It is my belief the First Amendment was designed for an intelligent society because this example or attitude that I have presented is guaranteed to keep chaos active in any society. As parents why do we not let our children play with electrical outlets? As parents why do we not give our children handguns to play with-Because We Know They Are Not Mature Enough. We as adults who cannot get along with each other based on some of the most ridiculous ideas that children don't even deal with like a person's skin color is blatant proof that we are not mature enough to fully appreciate the First Amendment.

Sadly with all my heart I believe we can live together in peace and harmony but our desire to maintain our caste system so that we can seem important to ourselves is stronger than our desire to see complete equality.