Why did NBC edit Zimmerman's 911 call?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (37 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_News

This is really hard to believe. A major news network would do something like this? Does anyone know if it's true that NBC did this?

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if its true or not, but the reason they would do it is to give a skewed version of reality. In other words, NBC would lie to achieve an unstated goal.

2. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Habee,
      I don't see anything in the Wiki article about this. Can you point me to your source?

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Scroll down to near the bottom.  According to Wiki, NBC has edited the tape to make it look like Trayvon's color was important to Zimmerman when in reality it was only mentioned after the 911 operator specifically asked what color he was.

1. lovemychris profile image76
          lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That belies his history though. He has a history of complaining about black "hoodlum" kids, according to neighbors.

and he called him a f*cking c**n.  We will find out when that part is analyzed.

@mikelong and wilderness:
          Found it! Thanks.

3. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure seems true, habee.  The UN-edited version went something like this:

Zimmerman: "This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about."

911 operator: "Okay. And this guy, is he white, black, or Hispanic?"

Zimmerman: "He looks black."

NBC, for shame! mad

1. lorlie6 profile image73

If the mobs of protesters prevail, Zimmerman will be arrested and charged.  He should be, no doubt in my mind.

4. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The media has already determined that Zimmerman is a guilty racist murderer, and they need all the help they can get to prove themselves right even if it means publishing flat out lies.
      Al Sharpton and Spike Lee are both irresponsible idiots who have put peoples lives in danger because of their hateful, race baiting, bias.

5. Quilligrapher profile image72

From the New York Times
      April 6, 2012, 7:05 pm
      NBC Fires Producer of Misleading Zimmerman Tape
      By BRIAN STELTER
      "NBC News has fired a producer who was involved in the production of a misleading segment about the Trayvon Martin case in Florida.

The person was fired on Thursday, according to two people with direct knowledge of the disciplinary action who declined to be identified discussing internal company matters. They also declined to name the fired producer. A spokeswoman for NBC News declined to comment."
      http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 … rman-tape/

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

If they did, and Wiki knows, don't you think Fox and Limbaugh know, and would use it to death?

And wasn't it Drudge who posted doctored pics of Trayvon to make him look bad?

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't seen pics of Trayvon on Drudge. I found this on Youtube, which plays the edited NBC/MSNBC clip before playing the entire call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qywt1ds7bSM

I'm surprised Rush hasn't run with this. Maybe he's waiting until Monday.

2. habee profile image92

LMC, this is all I can find about fake pics of Trayvon on Drudge:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/media-ma … tin-photo/

It's an apology from Media Matters for accusing Drudge of posting a fake pic, when it was an actual pic. Evidently, it was Michelle Malkin who had posted a photo of the wrong Trayvon Martin.

Michelle Malkin, eh? What can you say about that? And Ann Coulter said the Trayvon supporters are like the KKK. So demented and twisted. As if she doesn't know what the KKK are all about.

And someone hacked into his twitter account too. Rotten behavior on a murdered kid. Has got to be a reaon why.

Why are they smearing Trayvon?

1. Aficionada profile image79
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the reason is that people are trying to find out the part of the story that the news media want to neglect.  If the major media had reported full details from the beginning, it probably would have received as little attention as stories of other tragic murders.

The whole Martin-Zimmerman story is a tragedy. Why do the media have to make it worse by reporting only the elements that are lifely to inflame and divide the country?

2. habee profile image92

I don't know, LMC. I want the truth! Not the edited NBC version of the 911 call OR the fake Malkin pics. Journalism really is dead.

As for the Trayvon supporters who want justice and truth, I fully support them. I don't support the wanted posters from the BPs. And I'm tired of reading about the pot residue on Trayvon's plastic bag. So what? If he smoked weed, does that mean he deserved to die?

If Trayvon smoked a little weed that means he is a flown blown crack head and useless to society.

And if Zimmerman made a point out of Trayvon being black then he is a full blown racist and probably out on a killing spree like the KKK he obviously is.

This is what sells papers and makes news.  A sensational and emotional statement, whether that statement is true or not, whether it is spun or not, whether it has anything to do with the real news or not.  And that's what the news is about any more - making money from large numbers of viewers instead of honest investigative reporting.

If you can make Trayvon out to be a druggie, casing the neighborhood, (without ever quite saying so) then the pot haters of the country will glorify Zimmerman and vilify Trayvon.

And if you can make Zimmerman out to be a racist out on a killing rampage (simply by a little careful editing - not really lying!) then everyone will hate him instead and come back for more news of this new devil in our midst.

If you can manage both at the same time, why you will have the whole country sitting in front of your news program, drooling their hate and demanding more of the same!  $$$$!

Sad and disgusting.

1. habee profile image92

Excellent analysis, Wilder. How would Walter Cronkite have handled the situation? Not like the way it's being handled, I'm thinking.

I think you're right, Habee.  Maybe I'm naive, maybe I simply don't remember, but our "news" seems to have changed.

There were always editorials and news articles were always somewhat slanted, but the basic news used to be just that - a reporting of facts.  Now it seems to always be an attempt to spin it to something else, to raise emotions and anger so that the reader will conform to a particular viewpoint and come back for more to feed that anger.

NBC, simply by quoting only selective portions of a conversation, has managed here to make racism a major part of their story.  This angers readers and convinces the gullible that it is true which in turn makes them want to hear more of the same.  Similarly, the news has reported that some cops wanted an arrest but were denied that action - what we don't every hear is the "why".  This adds fuel to the anger, once more bringing readers and viewers back.  I'm sure the news organizations know (or could easily find out) that "why" but they don't as it might calm the anger a little and without high emotions that viewer might not be so eager for more information.  A government coverup or conspiracy is much more salable than simple facts where the viewer says "Oh, I see.  Guess we'll have to wait to see what happens".  One brings the viewer back each day for more, one leaves that viewer content to wait and let the information come in whenever it happens to.

I don't see Walter Cronkite handling this story the way that we see today.  While Cronkite might give an opinion, it was clearly an opinion - he didn't spin facts or report only portions of the truth that agreed with his opinion.  He told it like it was and the viewer was left to make their own informed opinion. 

Now we get the Limbaugh's of the world reporting only selective facts and massively spinning even that little bit while projecting huge outrage by the way the "information" is delivered into the microphone.  All the time raking in gobs and gobs of those wonderful $$$ doing it.  Limbaugh is not there to inform the people; he is there to get rich and is smart enough to have found the road to gold in the "news" world.

1. habee profile image92

Totally on point, my friend. "News" has definitely changed. It seems to be mostly about ratings/money/sensationalism now. Sad.

1. Quilligrapher profile image72

Yes, habee, the news industry has changed. People now have more information to process and they must spend more time and energy sorting and verifying facts. The birth of twenty-four news channels, access to the internet superhighway, and the spread of global competition leave no time for checking facts, verifying rumors, or quality journalism. The emphasis has shifted from getting the facts right to getting the story to the public fast. News resources today focus less on accurate reporting of events and more on the public’s reaction to events. The likes of Walter Cronkite no longer exist. Just like filling the gas tank or checking out in the supermarket, the trend is to shift more of the work onto the consumer.

3. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 12 years ago

It's towards the bottom of the wiki article.

4. lovemychris profile image76

Unfortunately, I think the whole point is to make it look like Trayvon really did deserve to die, and poor poor Zimmerman was only doing the right thing.

And if NBC did mess with the tapes to cause contention, then they are no better than Fox.

5. lovemychris profile image76

We want an arrest. Period. It's the idiots that didn't do it that have caused this problem, And it's systemic in America.

1. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Didn't know that God appointed you judge and jury.
      NBC must have edited that too.

OK--I should have said I want an arrest. There, not God, just one human being.

6. lovemychris profile image76

Here's what the Right news has done with their spin: who's using the media here?

and apparently, most Americad think this is credible. SMH

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201204010001

7. mikelong profile image61

I just wonder what Zimmerman would have done if Trayvon had been a white youth walking the street.  Would the 911 call still have been made?  Would  "suspicious behavior" still been perceived?

At this point, I have serious doubts about this.

In terms of "news" changing....it has always been this way.

The "Sleepy Lagoon Murder" that never was.....

The "dangerous Mexicans and their Marijuana"........William Randolf Hearst was the king of media driven b.s.

Yellow Journalism making b.s. cases to bring the U.S. to war with Mexico, and then again with Cuba and Spain....  This is nothing new.....not in American journalism/media.

8. fpherj48 profile image62
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

Per usual, these high profile, widely reported news matters are beaten to death.  Every TV Station, radio, press release and the internet news, as well. In a matter of 10 days, we can hear as many as 20 variations of the same event.
    The public jumps in, and a flood of opinions & comments flows and  "speculation" runs rampant.  This is all well and good in that it seems to satisfy the need to know and soothe the "accident" stalkers and onlookers.
    In terms of TRUTH, FACT and the reality of a situation, we, (the public) know very little about, if at all. This is in the hands of the law enforcement, investigators and Prosecutors, who, for many reasons are rarely forthcoming, especially in the beginning of a case.
    My heart breaks for the family of the young man who lost his life....WHATEVER the reason.  It saddens and angers me that countless lives are lost daily in our country, senselessly.
    I have listened and have my private thoughts and speculation.  The same goes for you, I'm sure.  If we exchange our opinions and discuss this issue, it may be helpful to US in our desire to understand.
    But the reality remains, that is all we can accomplish.  With all due respect to News Organizations and reporters everywhere, with little exception, they rely on what WE rely on, as they are "people" too.  Their information goes public, but the stories are repetitive and continual.  Hopefully, we can use our intelligence, common sense and patience, as we wait to see and hear what comes to be. And take it all in with that helpful "grain of salt."

9. mikelong profile image61

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/cnn-iso … ry-likely/

This is part of that recording as well....and it's far more telling than Zimmerman's saying Martin was Black.

The truth is found in the muttered utterances.....

Now it's getting to the meat:

"Trayvon Martin's parents will ask the U.S. Justice Department to review a local Florida prosecutor's interactions with police investigating the teen's shooting death, the family's lawyer said.

The Justice Department launched an investigation into Martin's death on March 19, but the family is now asking it to look for possible interference by State's Attorney Norm Wolfinger's office with Sanford, Florida, Police Detective Chris Serino, attorney Ben Crump said.

The Martin family will send a formal request to the Justice Department Monday, Crump told CNN Sunday."

This is the guy Gordon Duff wrote about....the NRA guy. Now they are getting somewhere, IMO.

Thanks for this link, Mike. It is my opinion that a modified audio track is no more reliable than a digitally modified image.

1. lorlie6 profile image73

Exactly, Q!
        Love the emoti-que. smilesmile

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, I was told by HP mods we cannot use these emoticons anymore.  Any which use live links are taboo now.  This is why I use the present image of a snake instead of the snake smiley I used for years on this site.  Sorry! mad

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

10. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 12 years ago

Probably because the Casey Anthony story petered out and they needed to perpetuate another story with legs

11. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Editing the 9-1-1 call is nothing new for the televised media.  Same reason they edit everything else that doesn't fit their pre-conceived conviction of what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' according to the left.  Unbiased journalism is a thing of the past.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)