jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

More Double Talk Ad Infinitum................

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

On April 4, 2012, Xavier University, a Catholic university,  will not provide contraceptive coverage to its employees.  The university president, Michael J. Graham, contend that doing such will be counter to Catholic teachings regarding artificial contraception.  President Graham further asserted that for this reason, he is going against the Obama Health Plan which mandate that employers must provide contraceptive coverage for their employees.   However, President Graham remarked that he will provide contraceptive coverage "for medical, noncontraceptive reasons."   How that is double talk to the millinillionth degree?  Don't you agree or disagree with this inverse logic from President Graham?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I disagree with the Catholic church's position on contraception as do more than 90 percent of Catholic women. Graham may have come up with a practical solution to the issue because I assume it will be hard to determine the reason why contraceptives are prescribed by a university employee's physician.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ralph, I am with you on this.  I was raised a Catholic but subsequently left it because of its neolithic and atavistic stance on contraception and abortion.  I refuse to believe in a religion which totally denigrates women's reproductive rights.  The Catholic religion is one of the most misogynic religions around.  Contraception is here to stay and it is only intelligent to use them.   Ralph, I give you a + millinillion regarding your post.

2. recommend1 profile image71
      recommend1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

This just displays clearly where the general attack on your human rights and freedoms is being led from, Catholicism IS the christian right.

gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You are so correct.  I remember about 38 years ago when I was in college and discussing feminist issues in sociology under Professor Gould.   One of the students mentioned the book, SEXUAL POLITICS by Kate Millett. Dr. Millett mentioned that out of all the religions, Roman Catholicism is the most stridently anti-woman.  This church does not believe in female self-determination.  They are totally anti-contraception and anti-abortion.  They believe that the main duty of a woman is either to be an asexual, celibate nun or a submissive wife with a lot of children.  They exert the epitome feminine role model for  Roman Catholic women should be the Blessed Virgin Mary!

3. Dr Billy Kidd profile image89
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It sounds like you don't understand that contraceptive RX-es are used to fight major illnesses--kind of like antibiotics. That's because they change hormone levels.