Official: Charges coming in Trayvon Martin death

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 12 years ago

http://news.yahoo.com/official-charges- … 38994.html

It's about damn time but can he get a fair trial?

Will all groups on both sides of this issue accept the outcome of a trial and move on?

1. The Frog Prince profile image72
      The Frog Princeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good question friend.  The media and the race baiters have already tried and convicted him.  The whole situation is pathetic. 

The Frog

1. Eric Newland profile image61
        Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, now the task becomes finding at least seven people (I think that's right in Florida, anyway) who don't watch television or read magazines. Or post here.

1. steveamy profile image59
          steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It should not be a problem to find seven Floridians who do not read.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
            Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  In Georgia either!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

2. John Holden profile image62
      John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great!

Let's hope that, in the words of the great BD, it doesn't turn into a pig circus.

3. FitnezzJim profile image78
      FitnezzJimposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The news just announced the charge as Second Degree Murder.
      What does that mean they think happened in this case?
      How does it differ from Manslaughter?

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully they will...but judging from this thread there will be some who will say the outcome is wrong even after they hear the facts.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, to be honest, I think that's going to happen worldwide, no matter what.

5. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did people accept the outcome of the OJ or Casey Anthony trial?

6. profile image0
      Hubert Williamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No they won't. Entire groups are never totally satisfied. They just break away and form new groups.

2. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 12 years ago

This thing in the Metro-Orlando Media will be just like the Casey Anthony trial, perpetual contrived stories for years that ends in a travesty of a trial.

3. lovemychris profile image75
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"As the shooting death of Trayvon Martin and the failure of authorities to arrest his killer, George Zimmerman, continues to grab headlines, many conservatives and gun rights advocates insist that race has nothing to do with it. Some have also rallied to the defense of Florida’s “stand your ground” law, the self-defense legislation under which Zimmerman was able to avoid arrest. Yet not all stand your ground claims are so successful. Not too far from Sanford, Fla., a black man named John McNeil is serving a life sentence for shooting Brian Epp, a white man who trespassed and attacked him at his home in Georgia, another stand your ground state."

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/11/when_st … singleton/

1. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing ALL the evidence in this case.

If Zimmerman was told not to follow Trayvon by a person of authority but did so anyway, IMHO, he became the hunter, rather than the hunted thus guilty of murder.

If that's the case, self-defense goes out the window as it is now Trayvon who fears for his life as the one being stalked.

"Stand Your Ground" law or not, if a person is not an LEO and you or your family are not in danger, you should call the police and let them handle it. Otherwise, you're just asking for trouble.

1. lovemychris profile image75
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"McNeil’s treatment stands in stark contrast to that of George Zimmerman, who has been afforded the benefit of the doubt despite his victim being unarmed."

This is what I hope gets addressed with this horrible situation.
        The whole justice system needs an enema.

1. profile image0
          Longhunterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Gee, thanks for that mental image, LMC!!!

2. JSChams profile image60
          JSChamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's a good one for you.
          He turned himself in. Does that sound like a foaming at the mouth racist?
          Oh and once again.....George Zimmerman is Hispanic.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Zimmerman is only partly Latino. The same people who don't accept Obama as black because his mother was white say Zimmerman is Hispanic...go figure. His ethnicity does not matter...

And he can still be a racist if he's not white... But, I don't know the facts...let the law do its job.

1. JSChams profile image60
              JSChamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No we say Latino because the media won't even though it's a fact. Can't stir up race hatred if he's not white enough you know.

2. lovemychris profile image75

What's that got to do with anything?
            A black man killed a white man who came into his house with a knife.
            He was arrested immediately and is doing life behind bars.
            Zimmerman killed someone and 46 days later is finally arrested on second degree.
            That's what I'm talking about. The treatment, and presumption of innocence.

And btw--here there was something called the Framingham 8. 8 women who killed their husbands in self-defense. They all were arrested immediately too, and did many years behind bars until they were pardoned. All had suffered years of abuse and threats to their lives.

We have an un-equal system, that's what I want changed. You need to calm down with your accusations.

2. profile image0
        idratherbeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Longhunter, I agree 100%.

3. steveamy profile image59
        steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well spoken

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

No hints, though, as to what the charge will be.  My local paper reported that there would be no grand jury, which means (in Florida) there will be no first degree murder charge.

There will be an awful lot of disappointed people if he's charged with jaywalking or some other relatively minor charge.

5. lovemychris profile image75
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"2nd degree murder, the charge against Zimmerman, is "an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned"

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh?  I hadn't seen anything at all giving what he will be charged with.  Just that the investigator will make a statement within 72 hours and presumably make a charge before that.

I have seen it from several sources

You're right - I have seen several reports just in the last hour or so.  Just hadn't heard the news yet.

6. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

That's what he's being charged with.
    Not necessarily what he will be convicted of.

I admit I am not a legal scholar. Therefore, could someone who knows the intricacies and distinctions please explain why shooting someone who is not armed could be considered self-defense?
    Maybe he thought the kid was going to come suffocate him with his hoodie?

sad

Ralph Deeds posted Michigans law:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/95402?p … st2039858, which Ralph says is similar to Florida's

The pertinent part would seem to be that you may use deadly force (gun) if you believe your life is in imminent danger or great bodily harm is imminent.  Note that nowhere is whether the other is armed even mentioned; it is not germane to this law.

It seems pretty well accepted that the testimony and injuries are consistent with breaking Zimmerman's nose and bashing his head against concrete while on top of him.  That's just a little different than suffocating him with a hoodie and, true or not, is what the investigator must consider.

1. lovemychris profile image75

I don't accept that at all. He did not have a broken nose. And his head did not look bashed.

I know you don't.  That is beside the point, though - it is what the prosecutor knows and thinks can be proven in court coupled with what the law says that counts. 

That prosecutor isn't about to make charges or decisions based on what you may have chosen to believe or on what you think the law should say rather than what it does say.

And i hope he will be able to see the xrays, etc. you seem to believe he was injured without any proof

You need to read a little more carefully - I very carefully indicated that what we know of the testimony from cops and witnesses agree with the alleged injuries.  I make no claim as to what those injuries actually are; only to the testimonies. 

In addition I have absolutely no idea of what other evidence that prosecutor has found or whom she has spoken to.  I don't know if she has pictures or good video to look at.  I do know that the media "proved" there were no injuries and then turned around and said there was.  I know they proved that Zimmerman spoke in a racist manner and then turned around and said he did not.  What we, the public, know is that Trayvon is dead - the trial will tell us what else is known.

Presumably the prosecutor has put it all together and decided that she can't maintain a charge of first degree murder for whatever reason.  We might assume it is because of self defense but it very could be something entirely different.

7. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

To prove second degree murder, a prosecutor must show that the defendant acted according to a “depraved mind” without regard for human life. Florida state laws permit the prosecution of second degree murder when the killing lacked premeditation or planning, but the defendant acted with enmity toward the victim or the two had an ongoing interaction or relationship. Unlike first degree murder, second degree murder does not necessarily require proof of the defendant’s intent to kill.

8. Mighty Mom profile image76

Turned himself in?
    That is not what the article I read stated.
    It said they went to fetch him before he could turn himself in.
    BTW, his lawyers have already quit.
    Presumed innocent.
    Yeah. Ok.
    He doesn't by chance drive a white Bronco?

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I better don't get jury-duty on that case. I'd move to Alabama!

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Saw Zimmerman on the news tonight. His nose does not look like it ever was broken.

11. Mighty Mom profile image76

911 dispatcher: "Are you following him?"
    Zimmerman "Yeah."
    911 dispatcher: "We don't need you to do that.."
    Zimmerman "Ok."

Hmmmm.

12. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

Here's a link to the statement supporting the charge of second degree murder against George Zimmerman:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/interactive/2 … ble-cause/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)