Ann Romney, Supermom, Tweets Back!

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (98 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Hilary Rosen (Dem strategist)raps Ann Romney as unqualified to serve as Mitt's economic adviser, stating she's never worked a day in her life.
    Ann Romney opens a Twitter account to tweet back about her choice to stay home and raise five kids and "believe me, it was hard work."

The flap has brought out defenders of both stay-at-home and working moms to denounce Hilary Rosen. Barack and Michelle Obama have distanced themselves from Ms. Rosen's comment. Barbara Bush has weighed in (guess which side).

I feel the main point of what Ms. Rosen was saying has been lost here. (See what Ms. Rosen ACTUALLY SAID below).
    It sort of reminds me of when Hillary Clinton got called on the carpet for defending having a career, when she said, "I could have stayed home and baked cookies" and that was turned around on her that she was anti-stay-at-home moms.

My question: Is this a BFD?

The furor erupted during a CNN show on Wednesday night when Rosen said: ‘What you have is, Mitt Romney running around the country saying, “Well, you know, my wife tells me that what women really care about are economic issues. And when I listen to my wife, that's what I'm hearing”.
    'Guess what: his wife has actually never worked a day in her life. She's never really dealt with the kind of economic issues that a majority of the women in this country are facing in terms of how do we feed our kids, how do we send them to school, and why do we worry about their future.'

Read more:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … z1rsJSjejR

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … z1rsHmTDnz

1. profile image0
      Hubert Williamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is it a big deal, you ask. Does it have anything to do with the the direction of this country or the economy or national security? No. Should it be a part of this election process? No. Obama said in 2007 that families of candidates should not be maligned in the campaign. To my knowledge that is one promise he has kept. It is a big deal to moms, whether they stay at home or not. The idea that having money in any way erases the problems of raising children or blinds people to life around them is ludicrous at best. Did money help "Kitty" Menendez in raising Lyle and Erik? These boys murdered their parents just as quickly and brutally as abused children in a poor family would if the opportunity presented itself. Having money does not shield people from the harsh realities of the world. Sometimes it magnifies them.

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It has become a 'BFD' because obama's camp chose to try and stir up women by trying to paint Republicans as anti woman, rapists and anything worse they could think of.  Which if you think about it is hilarious.  Bush may have done a poor job as president, but he had as many or more women and blacks in his administration as obama. 
      Republicans have no agenda against women.  It is manufactured for the sake of politics.  obama is a vicious politician and it will only get worse as he sees his poll numbers decline.  All he cares about is winning and if you are in his way he will try to run you over and destroy you no matter what it takes.  That's how he got his start in politics and that's all he knows.  He has little or no civility or compassion in his heart.

I think it is ironic that so many women that would like to stay home, begrudge Ann her opportunity.  The money is not the issue.  The jealousy is.

3. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here's an op-ed piece from the Washington Post. The headline is" Hilary Rosen was right.
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ … story.html

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And that article frames the issue perfectly. I think a lot of people, including both Mr. and Mrs. Obama, got caught in the heat of the moment and mistook what Ms. Rosen was really TRYING to say.
        Others deliberately mistook what she was trying to say.

Bottom line: If Ann Romney speaks for you, then great. May you get the economic policies that you deserve.

She does NOT speak for me -- as a working woman, a working mother, or a plain old woman woman.

smile

4. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

In 1994, Romney said it wasn't 1960 anymore and both mom and dad had to work, which was implying that mom wasn't working before.  Furthermore, in January he claimed that welfare recipients needed the "dignity of work," again implying that single moms on welfare who were not currently employed outside the home were not actually working.

Ann Romney also called the misstep by Rosen a gift.  It's quite hilarious to pretend they were actually offended.

1. lovemychris profile image74
        lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The real plight of poor kids and moms is a joke to them. So here's one back:

"i didn't realize that ann romney has MS& has survived cancer-yet still takes care of multiple homes mostly by herself& raises 5kids 2! WOW"

har har har

1. profile image0

Apparently, supporting the party that takes away welfare from poor single moms has respect for being a mom!

2. Mighty Mom profile image78

I'm a bit surprised that Romney flip-flop hasn't been brought up. Of course, there are so many FFs where does one start?

Ann Romney as "victim" is laughable.
        The goal was to bridge Romney's gender gap. Goes to show how completely out of touch they are. If anything, they widened it!

1. profile image0

Lack of sincerity is part and parcel of the man.  Have you seen the conversation he had with the people in Pennsylvania?  He didn't spout any of his typical talking points, and had no solutions to their problems.

Is that the one where he broke into a patriotic song?
            That is probably my favorite Romney deflection. God Bless America! Oh Beautiful For Spatious Skies...! My Country Tis of Thee...!

It always amazes me how willing people are to vote against their own self-interests. Sad.

1. profile image0

Love that he sits down and immediately insults the cookies they provided.
                Perhaps was trying to show what a "regular Mitt" he is, like average citizens buys cookies at 7/11. roll

How in the heck does tax breaks for the rich help ME save more?
                roll

2. lovemychris profile image74

Yeah...because THEIR solution was MORE TAXES! On the rich!
            One man said: they have already cut the fat from education....now they are going after the guts.

ALL to provide more cash for people like Romney, Russsshhhh and Adelson.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I am not a Romney fan, but I completely agree that Rosen was out of line with her statement/judgment. Kudos to Ann Romney for defending her position. She should not have to. I have been both a SAHM and a full time professional. Both are equally hard and require sacrifices. Sometimes it's easier to get up, get the kids ready and drop them off on the way to work. No one but a SAHM knows how long and difficult the days can be at times. But I applaud any woman who does it well, or to the best of her ability with the resources she may or may not have.

I guess the point is, can Mitt Romney identify with ALL women's economic issues?  Possibly not very well.

1. profile image0

Nobody can deal with all the problems of any group. Any candidate who draws a picture of them representing every issue any group has is drawing with invisible ink.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True, but don't you think some candidates can better relate with certain core issues because of their background?

1. profile image0

One day my ex father-in-law and uncle, who were both excellent mechanics, were trying to fix a truck that they had rebuilt. They both were involved with this project from the start but the problem still eluded them. I walked up to them as they were discussing what else thy could do and asked if that carburator leak was going to fix itself. They looked at each other and then me and asked me how I knew that. I had noticed a feather that was lying behind the carburator was moving and put my hand by the carburator to feel the leak. The point being that they were so close to the issue they were unable to recognize the problem. You know "couldn't see the forest because the trees were in the way". I wll stop there, because, if my point has not been made then I am aggravating my arthritis for nothing.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see your point, but it's really not valid in relation to what we're discussing.
            The Romneys are too far removed from understanding and relating to how the average American lives. It's hard to recognize problems when you don't know what to look for.

3. Mighty Mom profile image78

I think turning this into a SAHM vs. working moms issue is missing the main point entirely.

Ann Romney may be out on the campaign trail hearing American women say they are concerned about the economy. She may be advising her husband this is what women are thinking. Ok.

But I do not believe either she or her husband really understands whatthat means to the average American woman.
    The average American woman isn't building a house with an elevator in the garage, for example.

Kinda like when Bush Sr. couldn't quote the price of a gallon of milk.

1. profile image0
      Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm so glad people are catching the main point instead of getting all emotional over nothing, reacting in the counterproductive way that characterises politics way too much. It seems so obvious that a woman married to a wealthy privelaged man who has never had a job has nothing in common with the average woman, who, especially as a single mother, will struggle bitterly for years working underpaid jobs in hostile, sexist environments to support her children.

You mean you're not buying the Ann Romney as victim line either?
        Well, at least there's two of us.
        smile

2. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Typical liberal victimization. Poor mistreated women. It's just not fair! boo hoo...

Ann's not poor or mistreated, that's why she can't relate.
          And her husband wants to be the leader....but not of those poor women...he could give a rats behind about them.

You see---work out of the home is GOOD for them. Leaving your 2 yr old with strangers makes them better people. Not Annie though....oh no--she gets dignity and respect by staying home.

He even was willing to pay more to make them leave THEIR kids.
          For low wage jobs, that keep them in poverty. Never mind all the germs and sickness that comes with little babies....how many employers do you know who like people calling in sick a lot?

But with kids, it's inevitable.

No--Ann does not get it. Nor does her hubby. Priveledge cannot understand the effect their policies have on human lives.
          It doesn't even pass through their minds, as far as I can tell. As long as the words sound good, and they can pump their chests....by golly--they know what's best.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Well, yes, and that's why I ended my post as I did. But politicians are going to use whatever platform they can find, and Rosen's remark lit the match. Romney will use it. That's his problem. He can't stay focused.

Most of us don't drive a couple of cadillacs... I drive a foreign car with a hub cap missing.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I "love" (sarcasm) that "every woman works hard" line.  It's about as demeaning as it gets because behind it is so often the added thought, "even if it is only the hard work of taking care of one's children".

I did my stint as a stay-at-home mom, and I think the remark suggests that stay-at-home mothers can't possibly keep informed, educate themselves, be in touch with other women (or people in general), pay attention to what's going on in the world, etc. etc.   Some don't, but there's also some men who come home from whatever job they have, eat their dinner, and sack out on the couch without doing a whole lot of "paying attention", "keeping in touch", or keeping themselves informed either.

Whether someone chooses to stay home with her children has little to do with how educated a person she is, how intelligent or "on the ball" she is, or whether she finds ways to make sure her life is about more than diapers or preschool ballet lessons.  The woman who is confident and conscientious enough to want to care for her own children each day isn't someone who "can't do anything else" or "isn't capable of anything else (including being sharp and well informed)".  Besides, her kids have been grown for a long time.  Why the assumption that she hasn't at least been "paying attention" since they've grown up.  Sometimes people who work full-time don't have the time, energy, or money to spend on "paying attention" to what's going on in the country.

Who's sharp and well informed has nothing to do with who works full-time or who doesn't.  I don't really think, when it comes to Mrs Romney, that it has anything to do with whether she's wealthy or not.  I think it depends on whether someone is capable of listening to others, be open to the idea of learning something new from them, and is aware of the fact that there are things to learn from all types of people.

Having said all that, however, I think it's pretty stupid if Romney's trying to compensate for his own lack of being tuned into to women's issues/struggles by suggesting that because his wife is a woman she's also tuned in (as if he's divided men and women and has lumped her in with all other women).  Whether she's tuned in or not depends on the stuff I mentioned above.  Suggesting that "all women are the same" and "think alike" and "have the same issues" is as big an insult to women (who are individuals) as the crack that suggests that stay-at-home moms only know about diapers and finding lost sneakers.  As far as I'm concerned, both sides of that particular "argument" miss the real points, don't ask the right questions, and insult women in one way or another.  hmm

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree. The whole Working Mom vs SAHM thing always divides women. I've done both, and they are both hard. Romney is so fickle it does seem his wife is more likely to make a better speech. But they still have no idea how the average family lives. Even the Obamas were still paying off their college bills before they lived in the White House.

6. Mighty Mom profile image78

I just read Ann Romney's bio on Wikipedia.
    The statement is still technically true.
    She has never held a paid job in her rarified life.
    smile

1. profile image0

And the point is....? Does that disqualify her as a human?

Nope. Just as a spokesperson for working American women.
        You know. All of us who don't get to make the "choice" to stay home -- in multiple homes on both coasts -- while raising their children.
        smile

1. profile image0

Your point has been made, to me. I hope that you understand that many other women still appreciate that she is trying to raise enough attention to their problem so that they can have a platform from where they can shout their message. Great conversation about your view. Thank you.

2. American View profile image60
          American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MM,

She may not have worked a day in her life, year back many woman did not work, Are you saying they did not know what was going on in the world, that they were uniformed. I beg to differ. Even today though there are way less stay at home Moms, it does not mean they are clueless. They work hard as well, they pay the bills, shop and not just for food, for all the kids clothes, shoes, makes the medical decisions for the kids cause Dads at work. I could write a book on how wise the stay at home Mom on economics, after all, she lives it, she keeps the books, she keeps the house under budget. I cannot say that about the last dozen or so Presidents, can you?

I cannot automatically say that about Ann Romney simply because she stayed at home and raised her kids.
            She did so under a set of circumstances that most working couples will never, ever experience in this country.

The irony of the original comment is being overshadowed by some presumed (fabricated) war on SAHMs. That is NOT the point.
            Here is the point:
            Here's Mitt Romney, running on this platform of being "Mr. Economics -- I am the uber businessman, I ran companies, saved companies, was the CEO of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts -- I know much better how this whole economy thing works that our POTUS." He's freely admitting he doesn't know what American WOMEN care about. He is deferring to his wife on that.
            Ann is the one reporting to him that American women care about economic issues.
            He's saying he's clueless.
            He's desperately trying to close the gender gap by using his wife.
            She becomes, inadvertently, the "victim" here and everyone turns a blind eye to the real message.

Which is that the Romneys are completely out of touch with what American women -- working at home or working at jobs -- need.

3. Repairguy47 profile image59
          Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't disqualify her as a spokesperson for working American women. I love the lefts constant attacks on the rich, its always us vs them. The shills need a new routine.

Yes it does. She's stuck in my moms' world. It is far from that now. She has no idea what her husband's plan would do to us out here, not in her shoes.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
              Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

No it doesn't.

7. lovemychris profile image74
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

No one is painting the R's as anti-woman...they obviously are!
    Unless you think it's pro-woman to make it illegal for us to make decisions regarding our own lives.

They have humiliated, shamed, made demons out of, and minimized women as if we are children.

Dingbo Romney couldn't even say if he was for equal pay! I guess he had to check with his donors first...you know, one of whom said put an aspirin between your legs for birth control.

Ann Romney is a wonderful person, from all I can see...but it is vastly different to raise your children without worrying if you have enough money to meet all their needs.

And her husband is in the business of cutting off any help for those needs....While he feathers their nest more.

She has no clue what it is to try and work between schools, school vacations, kids being sick, YOU being sick. In a country with no paid sick leave, and states cutting off funding for day-care left and right.

And her hubby cut poor children off of eye and dental care when he was gov.--She never has to know what it's like to watch your child suffer from lack of money or services her kids can go to for help.

Raising kids is tons of work---it's easier to work a job, imo!
    But the worry over money and what will she do with her kids during school vacation? And what will she do if her kid gets sick, or her car breaks down, or she get sick, and can't work....all those worries are spared her.

She can speak for the work of raising children, but in a very nice setting,with all her needs met, and with none of the survival-threatening worries others face on a daily basis.

She may have been tired and over-worked and frustrated, but never on the brink of homelessness or despair.

8. lovemychris profile image74

Oh yeah....ONE more thing:

I see Rosen had to apologize, all the Dems have to apologize, everybody is making a big thing.....

So, how come Tammy Bruce never had to apologize for calling Michelle Obama "Trash"? It was on Laura Ingraham's show. I don't recall any apology, or any big deal being made of it. She said, "We now have trash in the White House."

No apology--no big stink--just disrespect as usual, and move along.

I guess Republican women can insult Dem woman all day long.

1. American View profile image60

As soon as Maxine water apologizes, as soon as bill Maher Apologizes, as soon as Biden Apologizes, as soon as Obama apologizes,   You get the point.

No--you don't.

We all have to apologize to Ann Romney...No one apologizes to Michelle Obama.

9. lovemychris profile image74

And they do. Listen to Laura--my daughter did while staying at a friends for the summer.....

They have no respect for Mrs. Obama--trust me.

In case you don't believe me:

http://vodpod.com/watch/1459051-trash-i … hite-house

1. American View profile image60

I need to add the Laura Ingraham's show to that long list of right shows and articles that you say you never listen too or read yet know what was said on every show and article ever written

Too bad for you huh? I'm onto it. And have been since 1991.

10. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 11 years ago

My wife stays at home with four kids and I know that she works ten times harder than I do. So that has to be at least 500 times harder than any indolent US politician ever could.

Does your wife have a nanny and a maid? Just askin.

Rosen: "This is not about Ann Romney. This is about the waitress at a diner someplace in Nevada who has two kids whose day-care funding is being cut off because of the Romney-Ryan budget and she doesn’t know what to do." ...

1. profile image0

Of course not. So I guess that means Ann Romney is absolved of all of her motherly duties. Doesn't matter though, the left doesn't give a rat crap about women otherwise they would speak up when leftist pundits trash women regardless of their political party.

It's all fun and games when guys like Bill Maher, Jimmy Fallon, and David Letterman pop off with lewd and degrading comments about conservative women, but the same people want Rush Limbaugh kicked off the air when he calls a girl a slut. Total hypocrisy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U83fHHkHLS0

11. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 11 years ago

The Romney's are "Out of Touch with reality",Period.

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Would that be the pot calling the kettle black?

12. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Looks like Rosen has been thrown under the Obama bus. Did you see Carney when asked about Hilary Rosen? He was like, "Uh, I know three Hilary Rosens. Who are you talking about?" You know, the one who's reportedly been to the WH almost 40 times.

I'm not saying Rosen might not have had a valid point, but she could have worded it differently.

13. lovemychris profile image74

"Women still earn just 77 cents on the dollar compared to men doing the same work, despite the passage of the Pay Equity Act more than 50 years ago. Even the landmark Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, the first bill President Barack Obama signed, was still opposed almost unanimously by Republicans — including many now involved with the Romney campaign.

I agree with Ann Romney that “we need to respect choices that women make.” But for many moms, the economic reality of their lives doesn’t leave a lot of “choices.” It leaves a lot of hard decisions about how many hours a day they can spend with their children and how many hours of sleep they can miss to provide for them."

It's the Republican policies that demean women, and that is the problem.
    So--while Limbaugh calls women sl*ts, the party he shills for is making it impossible to get an abortion, and makes women seem demanding for asking that birth control be included in healthcare insurance.

While Maher Fallon and Letterman may make degrading statements about women...they support policies that treat women as equals under the law.

And Limbaugh has been getting away with his radio hate for 20 something years--while other personalities making far calmer statements are fined and/ or fired. It's about time he finally gets called on his racial, misogynist, and democrat hating slurs.

1. profile image0

Wrong, Republicans don't like to give special privileges to special interest groups, and dumbocrats like to paint it up as inequality. Just the opposite really if you took two seconds to think about it.
      You want to hold conservatives to a higher standard than liberals by allowing those guys to constantly spew out their repugnant crap about conservative women. But they're out for Limbaugh's head for a single offence. It's pathetic, but it's the old race baiting, gender baiting, Saul Alinsky, Frankfurt School, double standard as usual.

Face it, abortion is flat out murder. That's not anti-woman, that's anti-murder. You know, murder? One of those "universal truths" that supposedly religion didn't have to be around for in order for people to figure out was wrong.

But by all means, continue to advocate it.

How is equal pay for equal work giving special privileges to anyone?

1. profile image0

Commie.

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Onusonus,
        Who are you to condemn a woman who makes the very difficult decision to have an abortion? You don't know anything about her, or her individual circumstances. Many women are young, and are deserted by the young man who had a 50% stake in this situation and then abandons her. Many abortions are "change of Life" babies, when women who are half way through menopause and think they can't get pregnant again do. Once they are over 40, the chances of having a child with birth defects are much more likely. I was a child born with scoliosis. My mother was very young when she had me and I suspect since she was alone, her Monther died, she had malnutrition. Many autistic children are born to older parents too. While I'm not saying their choices are right are wrong, they are not as black or white as you make them sound. You say your wife stays home with 4 kids and you respect how hard she works. How many times have you been in charge of all 4? Have you ever spent one whole day with all of them? And don't say you work, a high percentage of women with 4 kids work now too. And since I don't know you, you could also be the Father of the Year. It's just a terrible issue, and a very personal one. I know people who made the choice to abort, and it's not the easy decision men seem to think it is. It's one which haunts a woman all her life.

1. profile image0

Those examples make up an extremely small percentage of the 1.5 million babies who are thrown in abortion clinic dumpsters every year because Johnny didn't wear a condom.
          I'm talking about an industry that exploits the gullibility of countless young pregnant moms, most clinics of which are strategically placed in black neighborhoods, (thanks to Margaret Sanger), all for the almighty dollar and for the sake of the liberal practice of eugenics. And if that's not good enough they wish to validate their disgusting practices by seeking taxpayer funding, despite the fact that most people are morally opposed to it.

And yes, of course I spend my time with my children as much as possible. That's what moms and dads are supposed to do.

3. lovemychris profile image74

For one--they don't "constantly" do it....for another, the conservative women they insult are people who have no problem insulting people themselves.

These women Cons insult and demean Obama and liberals--femi-Nazi's-- all the time. They want to dish it out---they can't take it. Like Palin, who called Letterman a child molester,implies Obama is a terrorist. Or Tammy Bruce, who called Mrs. Obama trash. Coulter, who said the Jersy Girls were enjoying their husbands deaths. or Malkin--who always insults democrats--female or not. Please----they only cry when they get hit. They do not care one whit about women, unless they are Republican like them.

So--if comedians call them names....t*t for tat.

But Fluke was not a public figure, dishing it out to anyone. And in calling her a sl*t, he was sending it out to our daughters everywhere.

For 2--you don't like abortion, don't have one. What women, whom you don't know-- do in their personal lives, is none of your business.

Hyde amendment has been in place for a long time. You men get all the tax money you want for your wars--in WHICH babies are killed.....Women get 0 for the legal medical procedure known as abortion.

And most people are not morally opposed to it. Most people live their own lives, and don't worry about what people they don't know or care about are doing.

You should try it sometime, IMO.

1. profile image0

Yes, both sides insult each other. But while liberals believe Political correctness is what betters a society, and free speech is an opportunity to exploit and demonize your enemies, Conservatives believe this;
          "I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

So while you guys are making demands to have the lives of people who speak their minds against you destroyed or otherwise penalized through fines and loss of livelihood, Conservatives simply let the rule of cause and effect run its course.

Of course Palins "retarded son" wasn't a public figure either. Guilt by association I suppose. Hypocrisy. 

I always love hearing that I need to mind my own business when a mother kills her baby, but if you wait a few months till the kid is on the outside of the womb, now it's ok to but in. That's very inconsistent, maybe we should butt out when a mom drowns or stabs to death their baby, because I guarantee that having saline pumped into your lungs, weather it's on the inside or the outside, is just as unpleasant.

14. Mighty Mom profile image78

I knew it.
    Been counting the hours.
    It was just a matter of time before Hilary Rosen's comment got compared to Rush Limbaugh's.

REDiculous. Absolutely REDiculous.

1. profile image0
      idratherbeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can't fix anyone who listens to Rush! lmao

15. lovemychris profile image74

Oh, of course!!!!

For Ann, staying at home is work, and dignified, but if you'r on public assistance, staying at home is undignified....even if it costs the state MORE for daycare!

"I wanted to increase the work requirement," said Romney. "I said, for instance, that even if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work. And people said, 'Well that's heartless.' And I said, 'No, no, I'm willing to spend more giving day care to allow those parents to go back to work. It'll cost the state more providing that daycare, but I want the individuals to have the dignity of work.'"

Wealthy: dignity is stay-at-home moms.
    Poor: dignity is leaving your baby to go to work.
    Oh btw--with R mandated cuts to states....there is no more daycare funding. And you cannot pay for bills and daycare on low-level wages. And they sent all the jobs overseas anyway.....so what's a poor mom to do??

In Kansas...they are giving their children up to the state. THIS is the R agenda IMO....and I want to know what they plan on doing with all these kids they will take from their homes?

"If you think rich stay at home moms are awesome and poor stay at home moms lack dignity, it isn’t motherhood that you respect."

16. lovemychris profile image74

"Did Michele Bachmann just call Obama a healthcare dictator on Meet The Press?"

Uh huh....dictator. More insulting language shown to you on the "liberal" media.

Is she now immune from attacks on her? I don't think so. She deserves it.

"Meet The Press, where you can watch a wide array of corporate centrists and corporate right wingers debate the fate of the non-rich people"
    .....on the "Liberal" NBC. Snark.

17. lovemychris profile image74

"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

Riiiight, that's why Focus on the Family lobbied and lobbied and lobbied to get Howard Stern thrown off the air.
    Remember the 7 words you can't say? I wonder who was behind that? 
    WHO are the ones "outraged" by Rosen? The cons.

No one wants you butting in at any time.....ever. Trust that.

Try and keep to the Constitution....individual liberty: Not whatever your religion says goes.

TY, the Founding Fathers.

1. profile image0

Sorry I've been looking all over the place for any proof of "focus on the family" lobbying against Howard Stern.

"All men are created equal and they are endowed with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life...
      Hmmm, "life". Yup looks constitutional.

18. lovemychris profile image74

You obviously never listened to his show. It's true. And Republican FCC, lead by Michael Powell fined him up the wazoo....for "free" speech.

You are forgetting the one most important part of the equation....the woman herself.

19. lovemychris profile image74

Wait...maybe it was the Family Research Council.

20. lovemychris profile image74

smilesmilesmile

WASHINGTON -- "A handful of House Democrats, encouraged by the recent bipartisan agreement that stay-at-home moms should be considered just as hard working as anyone in the workforce, will introduce legislation to apply that standard to mothers on welfare as well.

Under current law, raising children does not count toward the required "work activity" that must be performed by recipients of Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, the federal program that emerged from the 1996 welfare reform. Some states make an exception for mothers with children less than a year old.

The Woman's Option to Raise Kids (WORK) Act,would allow mothers with children ages 3 and under to stay at home with their children and continue receiving benefits.

The act was inspired by the recent kerfuffle, in which the political establishment, from President Barack Obama to Mitt Romney, took great umbrage at the suggestion by Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen that Ann Romney had not "worked a day in her life."

"All moms are working moms," Mitt Romney responded.

If that's the case, then it's unfair to apply a different standard to low-income women, reasoned Rep. Pete Stark of California, a top Democrat on the House Ways and Means Committee."

Democratic Reps. John Lewis (Ga.), Gwen Moore (Wis.), Barbara Lee (Calif.), Jim McDermott (Wash.), Lynn Woolsey (Calif.), Jan Schakowsky (Ill.) and Rosa DeLauro (Conn.) are cosponsors of the WORK Act.

A Dem has also added "every sperm is sacred" onto the personhod amendment! Inspired by Monty Python?

Of course!! You MUST not do it unless you want to procreate. Fair is Fair.

1. profile image0

More entitlement spending, just what the economy needs. 14 trillion and rising, can't wait till the rioting begins after the cash runs out. Hello Greece!

Hey! where'd all the money go?http://www.policymic.com/articles/2517/photo.png

21. lovemychris profile image74

Oh, I think it's great! Throwing the GOP freedom-killing agenda right back in their face!

1. profile image0

Yup, debt equals freedom. LOL!
      http://state-of-the-nation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/us_president_barack_obama_spending_money_for_debt_policy_speech_strategy_comic_political_cartoon_economist_funny_best_top_free_greatest1_obama_debt.jpg

It's not about debt at all.....if you want to impose laws restricting our freedoms....right back at ya.

1. profile image0

Of course it's not about debt for liberals. They think they can just print money all day long. Face it taxing the rich is not the solution to absolving that crushing debt they are accruing on a daily basis.
          http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ye80cy9LjU4/T3hd9fwWKbI/AAAAAAAAJcw/JT-NMpuD7uI/s1600/Jackpot.png

22. lovemychris profile image74

I'm talking about women fighting back from the freedom-killing GOP..You, of course cannot face that--so you change subjects.

But Ok.....taxing the rich will solve a lot of problems! Are you kidding me? That way--you won't have to cut all these worthy programs.

You want to cut gvt waste? I'm all for it. Start right at the top:

Stop giving tax breaks and subsidies to companies that make billion dollar profits! That money is made up for by increased taxes on the middle class.

End the tax cuts for the extreme wealthy, put in place the banking transaction fee---- and we don't have a problem. 1% of the wealth of the top could solve all the worlds problems. 1%!

shoot--Adelson has 21.5 billion......imagine if he paid at 30%...and all those like him......what debt??? We'd be solvent.

1. profile image0

Taking money from the group that produces money and giving it to a group that does not and will not provide for themselves is neither charitable nor is it noble. It's stealing.
      And I did not change the subject, you said; "The Woman's Option to Raise Kids (WORK) Act,would allow mothers with children ages 3 and under to stay at home with their children and continue receiving benefits."

And I am saying that giving "free money" to a group that does not produce money is just more entitlement spending, and it will add to the monster that is killing the US Dollar.

So really you changed the subject.

23. lovemychris profile image74

The subject was Ann and Mitt saying stay at home moms work! How come when they're poor moms who need help, then it's not? How come then it's a lazy bum taking your money?
    How come cons always want women to HAVE kids, but then just throw them to the wolves when they have them?

Think about it:  You are the ones saying a child must be born no matter what the circumstance....so--shouldn't these babies get the best of care when they get here?

A single mom with no money and no where to go is not the best circumstance.

So--since they already HAVE the baby...why shouldn't they receive help taking care of them?

You can't have it both ways....either you cherish life, or you don't. Cherishing a fetus is easy....cherishing the life after they get here is when you people opt out.

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually you can have it both ways.

A woman should only have sex and bear children if she is responsible and financially capable of taking care of them

Well, that is why I am pro-choice.

She should only bear children if she and the father can take care of them.
        Sex she can have any time she pleases!

That is sad that you think its ok to kill babies

It's even sadder that you think that of me.

2. janesix profile image59

You think abortions are ok. What is an abortion?

The termination of a pregnancy so a baby won't be born.

A baby is a baby from the moment of conception.

That is your opinion....and I live my life by mine.
                  Nor do I force my ways on you.

If you don't like abortion...don't have one. But please don't take that option away from me to suit your personal views.

Luckily for you i have no plans for taking away your abortion rights. You can feel safe and secure now.

24. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

The bottom line is that neither Romney  endeared themselves to any new voters. I'm sick of hearing the mommy drama, too. People contribute to society or they don't. Both Romney's are parasitic people who do not relate to real human beings.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romney made a speech in January about how women need to go back to work after two years of having a child. As if raising a child and household is not a real job. But yet, Romney's wife never worked a day in her life!

25. Shonna McDaniel profile image59
    Shonna McDanielposted 11 years ago

Awesome hub! Please read my Hub called, child rearing is not employment.

26. lovemychris profile image74

Most of the country is in dire need at one time or another. The R's simply want a country with no gvt at all.
    So, in essence, only those who are wealthy WILL survive.

And I'm not so sure how easy SS is to get. My friend's husband threw her down a flight of stairs, and she has a hard time sitting or standing for long periods of time---she has been trying to get help for 20 years.....no such luck.

YET....someone like Bachmann can receive $250,000 for a family farm.

It's so skewed it's not even funny.

Yes, i totally agree with that. Those who need help dont get it, while those dont, siphon off society.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)