jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

More reasons to eliminate the death penalty!

1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/cri … _headlines

Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that a "civilized" nation still uses executions.

1. Castlepaloma profile image26
      Castlepalomaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

11% are falsely convicted,

Also something is wrong with killing someone, to prove killing is wrong,

Unlucky he got unjustly prison-ed  yet also lucky he got out with his life

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. The article shows that DNA is not foolproof.

2. H P Roychoudhury profile image80
      H P Roychoudhuryposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We have to wait another century to be civilized.

3. livelonger profile image92
      livelongerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow. I agree with you. Have you seen Minority Report (or read the short story by Phillip K. Dick)? A harrowing warning about supposedly bulletproof convictions.

There will always be mistakes made in our justice system - we're human - but the death penalty isn't reversible.

4. 69
      logic,commonsenseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I believe anyone that rapes and kills a child deserves to be executed time and time again, until there is nothing left but id.

1. 0
        Larry Wallposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Suppose later evidence proves that the convicted person was innocent?

2. 0
    jenuboukaposted 4 years ago

UGH...I watched a documentary that in Normandy the convicted were shipped to an island, no guns, gates, just a remote place where these violent men were to live with one another and learn to live together.  A murder was given an axe to go into the woods and retrieve firewood, by the way that was his weapon of choice.

The main concept was to treat them like humans, require them to be self sufficient.  No escapes, no crimes, just a group of mislead folk who were treated like humans.

Perhaps if we embraced even the most atrocious hard knocked criminals with some compassion, made them earn a keep per say,instead of locking in them cages they too would think differently.

I know some have committed the worse of the worse; however, I can't help to think we should not have the power to end another's life or shut the door on them

Just a hopeful, whimsical thought.

Countries with worst murder rates also have the most death penalties

On the other hand, murderer do need to serve life as a lifetime sentence and work for every ounce of freedom they get, Offer some  sentences to get out in 20 years for good behavior. Not murders that get out in 5 years because the jails are too full, yeah, filled with pot heads smokers

3. fpherj48 profile image80
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

The hard core reality is, that if the entire and absolute proof of what goes on within our Justice System was clearly and continually EXPOSED to the public, there would surely be a loud and forceful revolt of the masses against the use of the Death Penalty. Never again, would the powers that be, use those powers to play God, amongst flawed and imperfect humans, utilizing all means frought with error, deceit, false information, mis-identification, manipulation, intimidation, misconduct, sub-standard defense and political intent.
    Without being privy to these judicial atrocities, closely and carefully uncovering all of these human vices, errors and fabrications, one cannot SEE the truth nor be moved by the tragedies and miscarriage that exists.

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And not just the criminal courts, either.
      Corruption at worst, imperfection and overscheduling at best, make obtaining JUSTICE about as likely as winning the lotto.

4. 0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

There is always room for error--by the police, prosecution, defense, the judge and the jury. A death penalty, once it is carried out cannot be reversed. The law requires that a person be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. No one has defined reasonable.

If the sentence is going to be an absolute sentence, then the conviction should be based on an absolute certainty and not a reasonable certainty.

The best thing to do is to eliminate the death penalty. In my opinion, spending your life in a six by six foot cell would be a greater punishment than being put to death.

5. carol3san profile image60
    carol3sanposted 4 years ago

I believe there are about 17 or more states that have all abolished the death penality....most recently Conneticut.  Hopefully within a few more years this babaric practice will be abolished for good.
    I'm sure the state of Texas will be the last one to reform...the usual.

6. AliciaC profile image96
    AliciaCposted 4 years ago

The fact that errors are made and people are falsely convicted of murder is very scary. As livelonger says, the death penalty isn’t reversible. In addition, it’s always seemed strange to me that although the legal system says that it’s wrong to kill people, it sometimes kills people as a punishment. The system is doing exactly what it says is wrong.

Yes, when the State can kills people, why not the criminals?

In fact, authorities kill more people than the criminal do. The purpose is over control the masses by the threat of death for elitism of the few, which is not good enough answers for the many.