jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

EU Build 'House of European History'

1. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 4 years ago

Apart from spending around £50 million on this vanity project when many European countries are economically on their knees, they have also renamed World War II the European Civil War and 1946 is now Year 0!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … efore.html

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
      EmpressFelicityposted 4 years ago in reply to this

"The bars and restaurants surrounding the European Parliament are heaving.  Money and drink flow freely. Little wonder."

I once saw a cartoon from Germany's Weimar Republic, showing well-fed, well-dressed diners sitting down to a slap-up meal... not realising that their table was right on the edge of a cliff. Somehow the analogy is a very apt one. If anyone knows the artist, please tell because I can't remember.

2. JKenny profile image91
    JKennyposted 4 years ago

Bloody hell! I'm glad that my granddad isn't alive, because I know he would be horrified by this story. Airbrushing WW2 would prevent people from learning about the past, and we need to know the past in order to avoid the mistakes committed. If we're now operating on European time, that means that I was born in the year 39. Weird!
    Personally, I think that all kids learning about WW2 should be shown films like Downfall, so that they can see how much of a raving psycho Hitler was.

3. John Holden profile image59
    John Holdenposted 4 years ago

It is the Daily Mail, I wonder how much truth and how much fantasy?

We get a hint when nearly £50 million turns out to be a bit over £40 million, I mean, if you were 44 would you go around telling everybody you were nearly 50?

4. JKenny profile image91
    JKennyposted 4 years ago

Yeah I was just starting to think that, is this another piece of Daily Mail sensationalism? Probably.

1. John Holden profile image59
      John Holdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Either that or it was supposed to print on 1st April but got spiked for several weeks!

5. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 4 years ago

This article from the Telegraph in 2011 suggests that they were worried about costs escalating even while it was being built

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … llion.html

working