jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Not looking forward to the re-release of 'God Save The Queen'

1. innersmiff profile image86
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

Gary Barlow is writing a song for the Queen for her diamond jubilee later this year, and the Sex Pistols are re-releasing their song 'God Save The Queen' in time to compete with it.

I don't have a problem with its message:

" God Save The Queen . ..
    . . . A fascist regime ...
    ..She's not a human being .."

I mean, right on brother!

My problem with the song is that it is bad. It characterises the anti-monarchy position as spitting, badly dressed, pimply and angry. This is not helpful at all in a year when we all need reminding how intellectually bankrupt monarchism is. It's not simply a case of getting rid of a useless ceremonial practice, it is being intellectually consistent with liberty, and stopping the institutional child abuse, back room deals and all of the other shady things I'd rather not think about that goes on in that palace.

Seriously, somebody give me a consistent argument why the royalty should exist in this day and age!

1. Greekgeek profile image96
      Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

For a long time I thought that royalty provided a scapegoat in the old, classical sense -- a target for the press and paparazzi to chase around, and a figurehead to pose and preen, and token celebrities to keep the tabloids occupied, while stodgy PMs did the actual job of getting things done out of the limelight.

Unfortunately, recent British elections have started to draw from the "reality TV" side of American politics, and I'm afraid that division has begun to break down.

innersmiffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well it certainly does succeed as being a massive distraction.

Don't look at what's going on in the world kids, Cate has a purrrtyy dresss big_smile

1. TheMagician profile image91
          TheMagicianposted 4 years ago in reply to this

People were going crazy over the royal wedding, especially people here in the US. Couldn't go 3 hours without hearing about it on TV, the web, or even in person. Sheesh.

World issues? Put them on hold, we've got a wedding to prepare to watch from a million miles away in two weeks!

innersmiffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is really quite irritating, and I upset a lot of people when I point out some truths about that family. Like Will and Kate are cousins, and they're descendants of Vlad the Impaler and haven't given up their blood drinking practices.

1. TheMagician profile image91
              TheMagicianposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure the TV stations over there are riddled with ridiculous US news (or more like stuff that could be hardly considered news, anyway), so it was time for us to get a taste of our own medicine lol

But whoa, cousins? We're not talking first or second, right? Still, to knowingly be cousins is strange... and blood drinking? You've lost me, haha. You're serious??

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I like that song smile

3. Jonathan Janco profile image82
    Jonathan Jancoposted 4 years ago

Wouldn't be surprised at all to know they're cousins. I mean they're royals. Incest is kind of part of the program in that culture. But you can't just nonchalantly mention blood-drinking practices and then just walk away from  it as if there is nothing more to discuss. I would like some expansion on that topic as well.