Who Fits Where? Obama or Romney

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (30 posts)
  1. handymanbill profile image76
    handymanbillposted 12 years ago

My Dad used to tell me when I was growing up that people fit into 4 categories.
    1.    Leaders
    2.    Followers (And are content to do so.)
    3.    Those that don’t know how to lead and won’t follow. (Misfits)
    4.    Those that know how to lead but know when to follow.

I know that people don’t like to be stuck with a label. I always found that this way was always a good way to categorize people. So when you looked at a person to be in charge of something that this was the first criteria to look for. So being that it seems like Mitt Romney is going to be the Republican candidate for president. We already have a democratic candidate for president. Please answer these two questions.
    Taking those four slots which one do you fit Barack Obama into and why?
    Which one do you fit Mitt Romney into and Why?

I personally have not decided who I want to vote for this year. I believe that both candidates are poor selections but it would be nice to hear some good opinions.

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't really think those are the only options.  Someone once said, "You aren't actually a leader if no one is following you." And I think that's true no matter what the job description is or why the followers are not following. Sometimes a person in a leadership position doesn't check to see whether people are following or to figure out how to bring them along with the program.

handymanbillposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with that opinion

2. handymanbill profile image76

I have to agree with that opinion

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I think Romney is more of a leader than Obama. Mitt has experience in managing resources - human and financial. Romney had to work with Dems in MA, and he's a moderate, so perhaps he could help end some of the gridlock in Washington.

I find it hard to say I can't see where Obama has shown to be a great leader. I sort of think he should fit into another category. Just Which one?/

3. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 12 years ago

Romney is more of a follower. He sees what's popular and changes his position a lot. (ea: his stand on student loans) Obama more of a leader. Right, wrong or indifferent he takes the bull by the horn to help more people, even though contraversial. (ea: healthcare)

4. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years ago

Both are leaders in my opinion.

It's where one has led us, in the case of Obama, and where one would lead us, in the case of Romney.

Neither answer is the Promised Land, that's for dang sure.

I agree, Bill, both are poor choices. We just have to figure out which one is the lesser of two evils.

That's what I am trying to do. I don't believe that Obama is a good leader. In fact i think that he leans toward one of the other choices.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Romney wasn't my first choice, but he's better than the alternative, IMO.

5. lifelovemystery profile image79
    lifelovemysteryposted 12 years ago

Obama is a leader. He led us from AAA rating to AA rating.

1. profile image0
      idratherbeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Bush took us to the doorstep and Obama opened the door. Didn't take much, given what Bush did! lol

6. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

My dad had different qualifications. 2 kinds of people: givers and takers.

No brainer on that one.

As far as leadership...that requires actually having a point of view.

No brainer there too.

Mittens fails on all counts with me.

Well last time Obama ran on change. The trouble with that is there has really been no Change except maybe things are worse then ever. Also after being the President for going onto 4 years it gets a little hard to try to blame Bush. So if he gets another term, then is he going to keep blaming Bush?? The Bush excuse start getting a little out of date. As faras that all goes what point of view does Obama have??

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There has been change. Little ole me got a tax-break....1st time ever. CHIPS was re-instated, thank god. Fuel standards must meet 54 mpg in 2014. We're out of Iraq war....working towards leaving Afghanistan. ACA has saved many from the insurance company chopping block. I now can hear liberal radio...after 10 years of right-wing total dominance, my daughters will now get birth control as part of their healthcare, equal pay act, green jobs/industry--where allowed by state gvts (non Repub),unemployment renued instead of cut-off, gardens are in again! eating healthy is a goal, healthcare is moving towards the preventive vein, we are not at war with Iran....I can go on but you get my drift. Best of all---I feel free! I feel my daughters are free!
        No more iron claws of Right-wing bigotry and judgement and forcing of their life onto mine.

I also blame Bush for the state our economy was in. I blame Bush for ignoring the environment. I blame Bush for Iraq and 9/11.
        I blame Teabaglican Congress for filibustering and blocking everything Obama wanted to do---just because it was Obama. I blame them for never working together, for not compromising until they get their way, for not caring about America--only themselves.

Obama has told you his pov. He wants an America where everyone has the chance to shine....not just those who already have it made.

7. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Obama fits in the round hole...Romney fits in the other round hole. Now, the question remains who is going to screw us for the next four years.

druid i like your answer the best so far

8. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
    crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years ago

Best post I've seen in a long time. Bush is to blame as is Clinton and Reagan. Never forget they created ghost towns across the American south with NAFTA. That is what should be appealed. That an amendment to the constitution that would say that imports are limited to 20 percent of any product. By that I mean it would say 80 percent of all textile and steel products would have to be made here in the USA. NAFTA was supported by politicians from both Republicans and Democrats and it sold out America. The ones that pushed it should be tried for treason.

1. profile image0

I agree, this mess started with Reagan and Clinton. BOTH parties to blame! Then Bush did more of the same and Obama, instead of ridding us of NAFTA is doing more of the same. As we Americans were enjoying all these low prices, our jobs left the country!

1. profile image0

You might not have liked Perot, but he said this would happen! And for all you wally world shoppers out there, who benefited the most from NAFTA, ALEC, Stand your ground law, and the list goes on! And yet many of you shop at these stores instead of supporting your local Ma and Pa's which helps your local communities!

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I actually liked Perot! I admit to shopping at Walmart when I can't find what I want anywhere else (I live in a small town). When possible, I like to buy from local owners, even if it costs a little more. Same goes for restaurants. Every Thursday, a group of us meet at a locally owned Mexican restaurant, and the same group meets every Saturday at a locally owned pub. When my daughter and I go out to lunch, we sometimes go to chains, but I really like the others better.

9. lovemychris profile image76

I don't see how you can say that....Obama wants the jobs to come back here. And he is giving them tax credits to do so. Giving tax credits to hire veterans. We could do SO MUCH with green energy....we wouldn't need NAFTA.

We need money to go into OUR coffers...as a country, a United States. Get these off-shorers out if they care so much about not paying taxes here!

Our kids suffer, our country falls apart...and they are partying in Dubai!

1. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
      crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Green Energy could solve our problems but they are never going to allow it to succeed. When you get to deep in a rich mans pocket they will figure out a way to get rid of you.

NAFTA should be repealed and a cap on imports should be imposed. A 20 percent cap on any specific import would bring the jobs back to America.

But the most important thing of all is that we have to stop thinking of ourselves as Republicans or Democrats and start thinking of ourselves as Americans.

If we could go that route we could save America because believe me we will get to the point where we will no longer be able to save America. All the peoples blood who was ever shed to preserve this country cries out from the ground where it was shed. Men like Martin Luther King, the Kennedy Brothers, and many others would never have gone along with what has been done to America. Hell we all should be marching on Washington. Demanding that America be restored to the great country it once was.

We should repeal any law that did not protect America and the jobs here. Do you even begin to realize the condition of our roads, bridges, and etc. here in America.

Politicians need to be for America first and we don't need more spin games. They use the spin games to keep the minds of the American people off the important issues. 15.000 people or more are living under bridges in one of Americas largest cities. Why???

Never forget that September morning we thought would never happen. Or that the city of New Orleans was allowed to twist in the wind. We should have threw them all out of office after that. And believe me it will happen again. Until we stand up to them and demand an end to politics as usual. Because politics as usual won't work. We must have radical change. We must put America first in every way.

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean....I weep for what was...and what could have been. But--we are where we are, and must deal with it.

The only option I see is OWS. May 1st. Walk-Out day. No work, no school, no shopping, no anything....a day without the 99%. See how the 1% fares then.

(I hope it's May 1st....I know it's coming up....crap, must find out!)

10. JSChams profile image61
    JSChamsposted 12 years ago

Wow....great idea. Of course a lot of those 99% have jobs in the places you want boycotted right?
    So you are harming them more than the boss right?
    Also most of those aren' t union jobs so a walk out may just get them a pink slip. Once again harming them n=more than the boss. Because in this economy people will rush i to fill the jobs.
    Right?

11. lovemychris profile image76

I don't know...I guess it's up to each one. I personally would have to think hard about it...that's a day's pay. But if I really am serious about sending a message--I guess I would have to.

And it worked for King and the bus boycott. That took real determination...of steel. But they did it, and it worked.

Something to think about. Really---because am I going to let these young people do it all for me?

12. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 12 years ago

I believe Obama is a Leader who knows when to follow. Republicans usually take Democrats to task on foreign policies and military commitments, I believe Obama has done an amazing job in this area especially coming into his leadership role smack dab in the middle of two wars. His economic policies would work as well if bipartisan support could be accounted for, The Republicans have drug everything through the mud, hell bent on destroying Obama, even if that means destroying America. Mitt Romney is happy to be a follower. He is a talking head Republican. Whatever the Big Business insists the Republican Party to do, or vote, or say(look at this Paul Ryan mess)then Mitt will follow.

13. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Rommney's a #3.
    Obama' a #4.

handymanbillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I sort of thought that they both fit under Number 3. But I may be wrong

14. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I would qualify both as being misfits. They both have a warped sense for how America should proceed forward. The fact that one is already in office and already doing damage every step of the way is a more pressing problem.

Romney isn't for equality or equal rights.

Obama with his recent actions has proven to also be against equality and equal rights.

So, they are both screwing America and Americans.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)