jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)

Is working at McDonald's above your paygrade?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago

If you were in danger of losing your house would you let it go or would go work at McDonald's to get the cash to save house?

1. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The question would never arise, thank heavens, as I would hate to do such a job.

I have always made sure that I would never, ever be in a position of losing my house.

I never took on the maximum mortgage that lenders were willing to offer me. This means I have never lived in fancy houses, but they have always been sufficient for my needs.

I denied myself lots of things to pay off a lot of my mortgage as soon as possible. Several years ago, I got my monthly mortgage payment down to about half a day's average income. I eased off a bit after that, because I now only have seven more years to run on the mortgage. However, I will probably tighten up a bit again to get extra capital together to pay it off early.

Since turning freelance in 2004, I have made sure that I always have at least 2 years' worth of income in some form of savings/investment, with at least 6 months' worth accessible immediately. Again, if ensuring this means doing without frivolities, I do without them.

I even managed to keep my house safe through two horrendous divorces, when the exes tried to ruin me financially.

2. John Holden profile image59
      John Holdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

But would you get enough cash working at McDonalds to save anything?

1. aka-dj profile image80
        aka-djposted 4 years ago in reply to this

HEY, that was (going to be) MY line!!!

Anyway, I second that comment. big_smile

2. CMHypno profile image89
        CMHypnoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

According to a recruitment site wages for a Crew Member starts at £5.83-£7.00 an hour.  There's a whole lot of retailers in the UK that pay a lot less.

1. John Holden profile image59

Not a lot less legally, the minimum wage is £6.08 an hour.
          How many people in the UK working for that can afford to buy their own houses?

2. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 4 years ago

If you have to save your house, you work at whatever job you can get.  And don't forget, if people aren't willing to work at McDonalds you don't get your burger. Anyone who works for their living deserves respect and we would all be stuffed if there were no people who were willing to do the jobs that some people look down on.

3. manlypoetryman profile image70
    manlypoetrymanposted 4 years ago

I'd rather dig ditches or stock shelves then have anything to work at McDonald's...However...if I needed to...I would work wherever it took to keep paying the bills and taking care of family!

4. stclairjack profile image80
    stclairjackposted 4 years ago

i'm working right now at a job that i detest on moral and intectual levels,.. but it pays the bills,... and in this economy thats sayin something.

and as to healthcare jobs,.... well,.. those were what we trained everyone for over the last 10-15 years,... and now the market is flooded with qualified persons to fill those positions. as the health car industry changes over the next few years, i expect to see the field tighten up even further.

if you want a job in healthcare,... move to china,... thier current demographic will suport it,... ours isnt going to suport the worker pool for much longer.

5. fiftyish profile image60
    fiftyishposted 4 years ago

I used to think that most menial jobs at McDonald's were for uneducated teenagers and students trying to make a little pocket money in their spare time. It might have been once, but here in the UK, there's a noticeable increase in much older people being employed at their restaurants. I guess times are a changing, and needs must.

When I was a boy, it was only school kids that delivered newspapers. Nowadays, there are many old aged pensioners doing the rounds sad

- Andy Aitch

6. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

I would work a whatever job or jobs it takes to support myself and my family.

7. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

It's not above my pay grade-- I've worked worse jobs. I'd do what it takes to keep myself or my family afloat.

8. maxoxam41 profile image78
    maxoxam41posted 4 years ago

I never considered any jobs degrading. Money is money

1. John Holden profile image59

Not really the question though, that was would you work at McDonalds to save your house.
      Not if you'd find it demeaning or not!

9. mts1098 profile image83
    mts1098posted 4 years ago

Work is work from wherever it comes...I have worked at burger king and I would work at mcdonalds...any shift...cheers

10. fiftyish profile image60
    fiftyishposted 4 years ago

I've done a lot of menial jobs in my lifetime, especially as a youth. Anything from cleaning toilets to shovelling dirt.  Any work that is honest and done well is work well done. Sadly though, many menial workers are looked down upon in modern societies, but what a lot of folks fail to realise is that without them, life could be disrupted for all.

Personally, I could not work at a McDonalds for a whole bunch of different reasons (I'd choose a different type of work if push came to shove), but I take my hat off to those who do, irrespective of their occupational qualifications or lack of.

11. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Of course.  I would always choose honest work over no work if I was at all able to do it.