jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)

4 USD per gallon - do all get the message?

1. CHRIS57 profile image60
    CHRIS57posted 5 years ago

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-2 … vital.html
    It seems that high gas prices bring along something good. People start to understand the simple equation:
    price = miles / miles per gallon * USD/gallon

So if USD/gallon go up it is a good idea to increase fuel efficiency. And that reduces overall gas consumption. It takes only 20% better average fuel efficiency to create the same as doubling domestic oil production.

2. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 5 years ago

But you miss the point, it is every American's right, no duty, to consume as much oil as possible!

CHRIS57posted 5 years ago in reply to this

And it is every American´s right to pay as much as possible for the daily trip to work. :-)

3. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 5 years ago

I often wonder what would happen if American's had to pay as much forgas as we do?

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 5 years ago in reply to this

T. Boone Pickens said yesterday that we will be, and soon.

4. ptosis profile image77
    ptosisposted 5 years ago

Remember when Obama was a senator and running for president that he wanted high gas prices in order to force people to change their habits in a uncomfortable way?

5. Hugh Williamson profile image88
    Hugh Williamsonposted 5 years ago

The price of gasoline and crude are set by the international market. No one is going to find a way to glut the international market with enough oil to drive the prices down.

The U.S. produces more oil than it uses right now and if production were increased, it wouldn't have an appreciable effect on gasoline prices anywhere.

No politician is going to give you cheap gas, no matter what they say because international demand is increasing, not shrinking.

Amen - but it is up to the consumer to move from one place to another with better or worse mileage.
      Apparently high gas prices lead to rethinking from gas guzzling monster trucks to family convenience cars.

1. kerryg profile image87
        kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this
  6. CASE1WORKER profile image84
    CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago

Yep we would love $4 per gallon

7. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 5 years ago

It would be nice if I didn't have to pay for some trucking company's gas whenever I visit a store, though.

Areas that depend on tourism must be loving our "habit changing" policies too.

8. Disappearinghead profile image88
    Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago

Try living in the UK. It cost me £1.49 per litre yesterday for diesel which equates to £6.76 per Britsh gallon. That's £5.63 for a US gallon or about $9.12.

To fill my tank with diesel it costs about £80 or $130.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image84
      CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's what I meant $4 a gallon? Bring it on!!

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
        Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why? How can it be good if people can no longer afford to go to work or get about in their daily lives? It's called fuel poverty where 10% of a person's income is spent on fuel, electricity and gas. As these continually rise, we get recession as people's disposable income continues to decline.

1. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Argh!  $4 a gallon is a lot less than $9 a gallon, bring it on!

Oh and we already have fuel poverty in the UK, which does not include fuel for your car, only domestic fuel.

2. kerryg profile image87
          kerrygposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is why America's decision to pursue gasoline-intensive auto-based infrastructure was so stupid - it tied the health of our economy to fuel prices far more closely than Europe and East Asia, which focused more on public transportation, walking/biking, and mixed-use development.

What's unbelievable to me is that even after the recession, which was partly caused by record high gas prices, a lot of people are STILL fighting public transportation and smart growth measures. It's gone beyond stupid to the point of suicidal!

9. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

I think the average American does not know (or does not believe) that:
    a.  the US produces more oil than we consume
    b.  if we consume even less, through fuel efficiency, we could export more of our oil surplus to other countries whose demand is increasing, thus making $$$
    c. the POTUS cannot magically raise or lower gas prices. Nor can Congress.

Hate to say this, but the carrot of paying less $ for gas isn't going to work on any kind of wide scale. Has it so far?

I think the stick of mandated (e.g., legislated) fuel efficiency will have to be what drives widespread change here.

I will continue to drive my Hummer until I am fined for doing so.
    smile

P.S. To anyone who may possibly believe last line. I am not speaking for myself here. Hummer? Mighty Mom? Puleez. lol

10. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

High speed rail?
    We don't need no stinkin' high speed rail, KerryG!
    smile

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can get into the centre in twenty minutes by tram or 40 minutes by car. There are still those that argue that the tram should be scrapped as people have cars!

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
        Mighty Momposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Twice the time plus the cost of petrol.
        Commuting by auto is definitely progress!

11. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

http://askalexia.com/wp-content/uploads//2009/02/hamster-to-generate-energy-for-mobilephone-450x281.jpg
    I replaced my engine with a dozen of these about 6 months ago. I haven't been to a gas station since.

How many foodstops per mile?

working