jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Does Paul Ryan's budget reflect Catholic teaching or Rand's Philosophy

1. Ralph Deeds profile image71
    Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago

"Paul Ryan accuses President Obama of “sowing social unrest and class resentment.” The House Budget Committee chairman says the president is “preying on the emotions of fear, envy and resentment.”

"Paul Ryan accuses Elizabeth Warren of engaging in class warfare. The House Budget Committee chairman says the Massachusetts US Senate candidate is guilty of engaging in the “fatal conceit of liberalism.”

"But what about the Catholic Church, which has taken a far more radical position on economic issues than Obama or Warren? What does the House Budget Committee chairman, a self-described “good Catholic,” do then?

"If you’re Paul Ryan, you don’t decry the church for engaging in class warfare. Instead, you spin an interpretation of the church’s latest pronouncements that bears scant resemblance to what’s been written—but that just happens to favor your political interests.

"Ryan says: “The preferential option for the poor, which is one of the primary tenants of Catholic social teaching, means don’t keep people poor, don’t make people dependent on government so that they stay stuck at their station in life, help people get out of poverty out onto life of independence.”

"That worked for a while, as Ryan made the rounds of Washington talk shows, and as he spoke out of both sides of his mouth on trips home to a district that is home to dozens of Catholic churches and religious institutions.

But now he’s up against the Jesuits.

"Close to ninety professors at Georgetown, the nation’s oldest Catholic and Jesuit university, where Ryan will today deliver a major lecture, welcomed the congressman in a letter.

“However,” the professors added, “we would be remiss in our duty to you and our students if we did not challenge your continuing misuse of Catholic teaching to defend a budget plan that decimates food programs for struggling families, radically weakens protections for the elderly and sick, and gives more tax breaks to the wealthiest few. As the US Conference of Catholic Bishops has wisely noted in several letters to Congress—‘a just framework for future budgets cannot rely on disproportionate cuts in essential services to poor persons.’ Catholic bishops recently wrote that ‘the House-passed budget resolution fails to meet these moral criteria.’ IN SHORT, YOUR BUDGET APPEARS TO REFLECT THE VALUES OF YOUR FAVORITE PHILOSOPHER, AYN RAND, RATHER THAN THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST. Her call to selfishness and her antagonism toward religion are antithetical to the Gospel values of compassion and love.”

“Our problem with Representative Ryan is that he claims his budget is based on Catholic social teaching,” explained Jesuit Father Thomas J. Reese, a senior fellow at the Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown. 'This is nonsense.'" More here:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/167576/pa … mailNation

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's bad enough to have a Rick Santorum parading around as the "Catholic" voice on social issues (as if Catholics are one issue (e.g., the "A" word) voters -- not true).

For Paul Ryan to rationalize his budget plan as in any way shape or form in line with Christ's teachings is -- in a word -- blasphemous.

Both Santorum and Paul wear their Catholicism like teflon armor. It's like they'r saying "You can't questions my political views because I am a good Catholic, so criticizing me is the same as criticizing the Church and ultimately, Jesus."

Fr. Reese put it way better than I could.
      Gotta love the Jesuits. They don't suffer fools -- even of their own religion -- gladly.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image86
        tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nancy Polosi and Barbara Boxer have paraded their Catholicism for years. Why can't the other guys.  I had no idea Santorum and Ryan were Catholic. Besides what difference does it make. What I want to know about Ryan is will his budget  make a difference.

2. William F. Torpey profile image84
      William F. Torpeyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In basball parlance, Ralph, Paul Ryan has been caught off base.

3. Jillian Barclay profile image86
      Jillian Barclayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

For the first time in a long time, I am proud of the Church I so loved as a child. The Catholic Church has disappointed me in the last several years, but Thank God! for the Jesuits! They call it the way they see it! There is no Catholic, or any Christian teaching that calls for taking from the poor to give to the rich, and if Paul Ryan thinks there is, he missed more catechism classes than he should have!

The Ryan Budget, which has been supported by virtually all Republicans, gives $4.6 Trillion in tax cuts to the rich by cutting food stamps, Medicaid, Head Start programs, school lunches for hungry children, Pell Grants, Veterans' programs--should I continue?--

16 million kids in this country are hungry every day and the Ryan budget cuts would effectively starve them to death-- Immoral? You betcha! Catholic? No way!

4. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

The Catholic Bishops nailed him.  He is backing down from his praise of Ayn Rand.  He's a hypocrite though, and a really awful one.  The Catholic Church in the United States has been committed to social justice for a long time, so for him to claim he is following doctrine when he tries to balance the budget on the backs of the poor is ludicrous at best, and vacuous at worst.

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
        Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ludicrous and vacuous. You've nailed Paul Ryan perfectly!

2. LillyGrillzit profile image82
    LillyGrillzitposted 4 years ago

Thank you for starting this thread. It will be healthier for our Nation and World to regain some type of Ethical balance. Your post is well written.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image71
      Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, but I didn't write it. John Nichols of "The Nation" was the author.

3. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago

You go Bishops! I don't agree with them on much...but their charity to the poor is un-matched.

This Ryan plan is about as un-Christian as you can get. And he has a lot of nerve claiming any other-wise.

1. Jean Bakula profile image97
      Jean Bakulaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It shouldn't be shocking any more how this idiotic group of R's are trying to wrap themselves in the Bible. If I was more religious, I would dare say that Jesus would be horrified at their antics!

4. tammybarnette profile image61
    tammybarnetteposted 4 years ago

Thank you for posting this thread. I logged on tonight for the sole purpose of sharing this story. I have never been so happy as to see the Catholic Church come out against this God forsaken agenda the Republican Party has been trying to sell. Hopefully this will be the end of the Ryan Budget.

1. lovemychris profile image79
      lovemychrisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Me too...and maybe they can take it even further...
      Maybe they can invite the Bishops to sit on a panel to discuss poverty in America.

As Mother Teresa said: "What your country lacks is Love".