Things Aren't Bad Enough Are They?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Hey everyone,

Check out this article?

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis … ure-eating

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I love it.  Clearly he has too much time on his hands and needs to find a hobby. Maybe he could try something like camping, hunting, or fishing, where he could get exposure to some really nasty creatures. The fact is we live in a natural and organic world with lots of little creepy crawly things living around us and inside us.  Injesting a few little critters now and again, unless they are poison, shouldn't be a major crisis in anybody's life. It's not like finding a human finger in your french fries.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fruit flies sound so tasty. I bet they're like a cross between a apple and a mango.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

When I clicked and saw the title, I immediately left. I don't want to know! lol

3. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 11 years ago

I am glad I eat a lot of fresh food, I may be eating some bugs, but as Mama always said it won't hurt if its a little dirt.

4. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

I was in a pub one summer and a fruit fly landed in somebody's freshly pulled pint "I can't drink that" exclaimed sad punter.

5. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

After reading this, I shall make sure I buy all fresh vegetables and fruit. I've been cutting back on processed food because of the added chemicals. Didnt know about the added bugs.  Yuck!

1. profile image0
      idratherbeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Trouble is, fresh is chemically treated. You drive by a field and you see no birds or bugs. Grow a garden and see what happens to your crop if no insecticides are put on them.

1. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't treat my gardens with insecticides, I use things like lady bugs, soapy water, cayenne powder, canola oil, and rubbing alcohol.  You'd be amazed by what you can use to rid your garden of bugs.  You just have to research and apply yourself.

6. By His Way profile image61
    By His Wayposted 11 years ago

!!!!! UUUUUUGH UGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!  *SQUIRMING! AND GAAAAAG!*

7. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

Funny how people will happily eat cow, pig or chicken and not give a hoot about what we've done to them but introduce a bug, which hasn't been interfered with and suddenly everybody is revolted!

8. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 11 years ago

I'm not too bothered by it either. If I ever found a little bug here or there in the rice or flour my mom would say not to worry. The little bug grew up in the rice bag-- ate nothing but rice-- and basically, was the same thing as rice. (You are what you eat.)
    If I find a little bug in the lettuce, while I'm preparing the salad, I discard it and thank it for telling me that the leaves weren't squirted with insectacide.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, the pics were gross, but it's true if we saw what went on with the poor animals we eat without thinking about it, it's just as bad.

9. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Yes, that was very gross to read if you're not in the know. Now I must get back to eating my broccoli and black eyed peas.

10. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 11 years ago

Maggots are out - that is really rotten food.  I've seen fruit flies even in store cases of fruit and onions - I don't buy them.  If you see insects in your food - like dry rice - I would throw it away.  Frozen broccoli - I may not buy anymore - there could be some truth to that bug. I think the author of the Article is getting a kick by grossing everyone out and scaring people.

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

For those who have posted.

In case you didn't notice- I put this under United States Political and Social Issues because the article talks about the FDA(Food and Drug Administration).

And, I noticed no one said anything about that? hmm

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is the FDA even credible any more?  If they don't care about this-- then it's up to us to use some common sense, which isn't all that common.

2. By His Way profile image61
      By His Wayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's the "horrific" component of most of our reactions I'm sure or at least for me. It wouldn't be so disgusting if it weren't allowed.

12. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 11 years ago

I worked in a well known cookie factory years ago. It was common knowledge a small percentage of mice hair or bugs was acceptable in the batter. Id be more concerned about eating out. When was the last time you checked out your favorite restaurants health department score? You may be shocked.

1. By His Way profile image61

Having worked in the restaurant business for many years in the past, I can attest to this one. blegh

13. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 11 years ago

We suck in polluted air everyday and no one quits breathing just because it is.
    How many have bit into an apple and found half a worm?
    If we looked at the bacteria that is in our mouth and intestines, we'd puke.
    How many are into oral sex and don't give it a second thought?
    How many of you let your dog or cat lick you and think it's great?
    We all die of something. 
    Like they say, Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, it the camels don't get you, the fatimas must!  smile

1. By His Way profile image61

lol   touche'  !

14. Shawn May Scott profile image61
    Shawn May Scottposted 11 years ago

Okay, like we did not know this??? Not every bug and spec of dirt can be removed. Our immune systems would die if we had nothing to fight. I guess as North Americans we are grossed out by the "little" things. What is his expectation the FDA to say that zero is the allowed amount of any substance??? We should be eating fresh veggies most of the time anyways!!! smile

15. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 11 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6559225.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)