jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Senator Rockefella asks the Leveson Inquiry for information.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

Yesterday,as I'm sure many of you in the US are aware, the recent findings (which I admit are highly partisan)of the Culture Select committee in the UK parliament, found Rupert Murdoch and his son James guilty of "will full blindness" in relation to the phone hacking affair. There was also some consensus regarding both the Labour party and the Conservative party, that James Murdoch's admission that he was unaware of the extent of phone hacking in 2010, "simply astonishing." And, therefore, there were issues regarding corporate governance. 

Both the major national news channels in the UK, that is Sky News and the BBC, reported that this was not, and was unlikely to become, a major news item in the USA. Tonight however, the BBC announced that Senator Rockefella has requested that Lord Justice Leveson, who is investigating the relationship between the press, police and politicians, forward whatever information he has gleaned regarding Rupert Murdoch and his son James. Do you feel this could become a "thorn" in Rupert Murdoch's side? Is it likely that Rupert Murdoch's "misdeeds" in the UK, become his downfall in the US?

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you look at the way Fixed News is run, it actually isn't surprising Murdoch was involved in shady things.

Perhaps it will lead to an investigation of the practices his newspapers and organizations have done here.

Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think it's looking that way, perhaps. At least from what I've read (sorry don't have a link) Apparently, according to Mark Lewis, the lawyer representing Milly Dowler (the murdered schoolgirl who is alleged to have had her phone tapped after her disappearance) there are a number of potential phone hacking victims in the US, which, apparently is under some investigation. Allegedly, some of the victims were from 9/11, potentially, this could be explosive for him.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Not likely. Murdock is a babe-in-the-woods in the US.

What about Rockefella, what's his motivation do you think, for asking for this information? Can;t work out if he genuinely wants to hang the old scroat, or disclose his findings to him. Remember, if it is deemed that Murdoch is not "fit and proper" to hold a broadcasting license in this country there are huge ramifications for him elsewhere. Also, if Leveson "uncovers" criminality on behalf of Murdoch, aside from the police investigation that is going on here- that's M screwed.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Except i believe they don't do investigations in the us. They do cover ups.

Yes, I can certainly relate to that. However, that is one of the main issues here. This investigation began here in 2006 (I think) and was put down to the antics of "one rogue reporter" It's the attempted cover-ups that have landed them in so much trouble. Don't forget, we've had senior police officers here arrested  for accepting bribes (another one has been arrested this morning, according to the news). Apparently, there were other public officials involved, from the Prison Service, NHS etc.

The storm rages on this side of the pond. Next week it's the turn of politicians to give evidence to the Leveson Inquiry.

working