jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Issue of Income Parity in America According to Mitt Romney

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

On TODAY show on January 11,2012, Republican presidential candidate, Mitt Romney maintained that the issue of income parity is  mostly based upon envy of the working and middle classes towards the rich.  Mr. Romney further asserted that this is classism. 

Mr. Romney indicated that America should be a meritocracy where rewards are based on legitimate things such as  conceptualization, education, hard work,and  intelligent risk taking.   He stated that if people applied those four principles, in all probability, one can achieve great things.  What are your thoughts on this?  Do you agree or disagree?.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If it actually worked, meritocracy would be okay.

Not everyone starts off on the same footing. Not everyone can "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" which is basically what he is saying. He started out with many benefits...

Many people do not like to admit it but there is a lot of luck and help from other people in success as well as hard work. People can work hard their entire lives and not be able to make a living wage.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
        gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

His father was a wealthy politician. Many affluent and successful people, particularly those who are SELF-MADE, strongly content if THEY can succeed, ANYONE, regardless of their socioeconomic origins, can succeed.

1. kerryg profile image88
          kerrygposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's especially hilarious for people like Romney who were born rich.

There a new book out that looks interesting that talks about the conservative myth of the self-made man: http://www.alternet.org/visions/155149/ … age=entire

1. Paul Wingert profile image78
            Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Here's the secret of success for people like Trump and Romney. You must have a rich father. If you don't have one, get one! Perferably get one with political ties!

1. American View profile image61
              American Viewposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not for nothing, but you all do realize Romney's father was poor and made a success of himself. I do understand that made it easier for Mitt but you cannot make lite of the fathers success.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image92
        Jeff Berndtposted 4 years ago in reply to this

"If it actually worked, meritocracy would be okay."

2. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago

Envy/Shmenvy! It's anger at the inequaliy of opportunity and living conditions.

People who are poor have a huge dis-advantage. And it shouldn't be that way!

Mitt Romney knows nothing about it, and if he did---he would not be so blind and indifferent.

friggin plutocrats. They are clueless.  BTW--I was too. Until I ended up divorced, and with kids....then my eyes were blown wide open.

3. TomBlalock profile image84
    TomBlalockposted 4 years ago

A society based on merit can be nothing but a good thing. However, I believe the society that Mitt Romney would wish to exist would make it hard, or near impossible, for those who do not have the financial resources to gain the skills and knowledge necessary to gain merit in today's world to succeed. As for intelligent risk taking, i disapprove of this highly. There is a place for hard working, slow and steady, workers in the world. Not every should have to take a risk to succeed, when their work ethic and effort are top notch. As mentioned before, I do not think people like Mitt Romney care for the lower classes to be educated, and thus succeed, and my experience with what he did in Gaffney, South Carolina, just a few hours shy of me, lead me to believe that hard work is not at the forefront of his mind. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think it sounds more like the "entitlement society" drivel I always hear from my own party.

4. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I've removed my original post. I feel a hub coming on...

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And I know it will never make a dime...

1. TomBlalock profile image84
        TomBlalockposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Depends. I might give it a read, depending on what it is. I'm pretty touch and go with politics, though. There are a lot of blatantly moronic people, pardoning the insult, on both sides of the coin, these days. I'm not saying you are one, i'm just saying that if you're not, I'll probably give it a read and a comment or two.

5. Cassandra Goduti profile image62
    Cassandra Godutiposted 4 years ago

The answer Mitt Romney gave obviously came from someone born with a silver spoon and not at all in touch with the people. Where the people are concerned he is an idiot. He needs to go to the school of hard knocks.

6. Ralph Deeds profile image68
    Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago

The feature article in today's NYT Magazine is quite revealing about where Romney came from. It describes a book by and an interview with Edward Conard a former associate of Romney at Bain Capital. Like Romney, Conard is said to be a top .1 percenter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/magaz … f=magazine

The Purpose of Spectacular Wealth, According to a Spectacularly Wealthy Guy

Edward Conard, once a partner of Mitt Romney at Bain Capital, argues that more income inequality is good for the economy.

7. tussin profile image61
    tussinposted 4 years ago

Romney is so dumb.  Sometimes I think he's just running to show off how rich he is to everyone else, not to actually become president. 

Though I have to hand it to him, it is very *hard* to be born rich.  Some people try all their lives to be born rich and never succeed, but look at Romney, he succeeded at being born rich.