jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Homophobic North Carolina Pastor Apologizes

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/03/n … s-ungodly/

However, in his apology, he claimed, "Those weren’t planned words, but what I do stand by is that the word of God makes it clear that effeminate behavior is ungodly. I’m not going to compromise on that."

So he engaged in sexism when "apologizing" for homophobia.  Why would his congregation and church board let him get away with such disgusting behavior?

1. Paul Wingert profile image78
      Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Screw this homophobic hillbilly bigot and his congregation! A bunch of backward, weak minded hicks that can't think for themselves!

1. TomBlalock profile image84
        TomBlalockposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't know that he engaged in sexism. Effeminate behavior is generally considered out of place in most heterosexual males, although that perception is changing in recent times. If anything, his largest failing in the apology is the generalization that all gay men are effeminate, which isn't entirely accurate. He's pretty much an ass for intimating that anyone should punch a child, but the only fault I can find in his apology is using inaccurate assumptions to justify his dislike for a certain group.

1. 0
          Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

To say effeminate behavior is bad is to say that acting like a "women" is INFERIOR to acting like a "man."   It's really no different than a bully on the playground telling another boy that he needs to stop acting like a girl (because girls are inferior and we should never act anything like them). 

Sometimes it's not always obvious, but language people use matters.  Considering all of the other things the "Pastor" said, it's obvious that is what he meant.

It's playing into the rigid stereotypes of what real men should/should not do: don't cry, don't express their emotions, care about sex, and solve problems with violence.

My brother is taking a college class where they have to complete blogs on 10 different issues in American society.  One lady, a conservative Christian, wrote a blog saying EXACTLY that.  She claimed men were emotionless and the more "logical" gender, and they were only in a relationship for a good time.  Women were the ones who cared about the relationship, and also looked past the physical.  These ideas are still out there.

My own grandma informed me, when I told her women make less than men for the same work, that she thought that was good, because women didn't deserve to make as much.