jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

The road to employment ........

1. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 4 years ago

I have a question for you ,...... What is Under-employment ?- example .- Ok so you have two degrees from higher education , you're twenty eight and never have worked a job , you owe $130,000 on college loans. Maybe you are not underemployed , maybe you are over educated, lazy and too impulsive with borrowing my tax dollars!....Take a job any job , come on you can do it!

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The jobs don't exist, there are fewer jobs than people looking for jobs and every month more people enter the workforce than jobs are produced maybe you have no idea what it's like to be a graduate in the current economy, maybe you grew up during easier economic times maybe you are insensitive, ignorant and arrogant.

I say this as a near sixty year old and as an economist what you are saying is incorrect and how you are saying it is obnoxious.

1. peeples profile image89
        peeplesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Come to my city where we have  high unemployment  yet every fast food place, gas stations, and mechanics are all hiring. I asked a lady at the gas station I go to how the search for an employee was going and she said no one was applying!

1. Josak profile image60

Does not change the fact that the jobs don't exist to employ even a tiny fraction of the unemployed, besides miniaturized examples are a bit unusable.

2. lovemychris profile image80
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago

We have jobs available!!

Oooooops.....not for American students, but for foreign ones. Sorry....maybe American kids should source themselves out, since they're not wanted here. sad

and no offense meant at all to foreign students....it's the owners fault, not theirs!

3. lovemychris profile image80

In fact...my daughter is looking for a second job, and I want her to work with me.

............have to wait and see how many girls show up from Eastern Europe 1st.

Back to you ahorse.

4. TomBlalock profile image84
    TomBlalockposted 4 years ago

Lets see. I have a degree in English Literature, a minor in Children's Literature and am damn near fluent in Spanish. I owe none of "your tax dollars" for my degree. In fact, I have no debts whatsoever. I have worked every summer I spent in college, and during the year during one of them. I can't seem to find a job that will allow me to provide for myself and my fiancee. Clearly, because of this, I am lazy. I'm normally pretty moderate in my statements, but people like you are part in parcel of why no useful change is accomplished in our country.

Sincerely, a fellow Republican and conservative Christian,
    Tom Blalock

5. cleaner3 profile image78
    cleaner3posted 4 years ago

there is work if you want it. you people who are crying that there is no work just want work to come to you. you want the job to find you, get off your rear end and go find a job, you think your degeee in the liberal arts is something.Go write a book about it, like all the liberals on t.v. do about how they feel sorry for you and how screwed up the ecomomy is.  but none of you people are offering solutions, you just want a hand out.!! If Obama was really concerned about the people he would be doing something about it. Not playing golf and constantly campaigning. if he had a clue he would be fixing the economy and then he would have no problem with being re-elected.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have been unable to find a job in a year...other than part time freelance work. I have mobility issues which means i can't work retail or in a restaurant or In a factory. I am over 50 which is another strike against me. I have applied for numerous office jobs. I resent you assuming everyone without a job is a bum.  It's not only liberals who are out of work

The economy is improving in the US and Canada but slowly. It would move faster without certain uselless tax breaks.

And liberal arts degrees are not just for liberals lol

I am working towards being self-employed, i also have no debts.

6. Repairguy47 profile image61
    Repairguy47posted 4 years ago

Does it ever occur to anyone to take what they know and start a business? Maybe that degree in English literature isn't what the market demands but maybe you can turn it into a business tutoring those who aren't quite there yet. There are many jobs out there but they are not all being an employee.

1. TomBlalock profile image84
      TomBlalockposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is vaguely possible, being the son of a lawyer and a nurse practitioner, that I just might have considered upward mobility, and the possibility of starting a business. You know, seeing as my full time job is finding gainful employment. However, one has to come up with a business plan, then gain the investors in a market that no one has confidence in, or to get a business loan in an economy in which loans are getting harder to come by, and then start your business, all further still in an economy in which the playing field is very uneven for small business'. Don't think it is? Start up your business, lets say in the restaurant field. My boss paid more for coke by the syrup for his machines than he did buying bottles of actual coke from the store, because he didn't purchase in the same bulk that larger business' did, and that;'s a small aspect.

Face it, my brother, good intentions, hard work, and persistence are all well and good, and admirable besides. Good intentions and hard work alone cannot overcome all things, however.

1. Repairguy47 profile image61
        Repairguy47posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have started businesses in slow economies without the need of investors. If I were you I would just give up and take whatever the government sees fit to give you.

1. Josak profile image60

That comment is beyond offensive and unfair but looking beyond that this ridiculous belief that people are unemployed because they are lazy is obviously incorrect, I am sure even conservatives understand supply and demand there is no growth to fit more business into that is not to say individuals cannot start successful enterprise even in this climate but on a macro economic scale it is impossible for small business to grow in this economy and any business that succeeds will almost certainly do so at the expense of another unless it is a radically new and ground breaking idea that creates it's own market.

1. TomBlalock profile image84
            TomBlalockposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nah, it wasn't really that offensive. Just mind numbingly ignorant. It makes one wonder what his definition of quality service is with these companies he has started up. I will say, Josak, that it is possible for small business' to grow fairly in our current economy, just very difficult.

Apologies, but I won't be relying on the government to provide me with a job. I will eventually find employment, and I will eventually be a model employee, because I know I'm capable of it. What I won't do, politely excusing my crass nature, is sit on my arse and point my finger at everyone without a job and accuse them of having an entitlement mentality. That would make me, were I to do such a thing, a shortsighted fool.

1. Josak profile image60

Good luck!

2. Josak profile image60

Sure I did that and a decade ago it was hard but not impossible, nowadays I think anyone trying would find it very very hard, the economy is down and people aren't spending like they used to which makes any start up a massive risk furthermore most people have no capital with which to start up and loans are much harder to get than they used to be but even if they get a loan the vast majority of the businesses will fail leaving them with debt on top of everything else for most people starting a business is not viable and it is certainly not an answer for unemployment.

7. lovemychris profile image80

Cons understand nothing. Gimme more gimme more gimme more...that's about it.

Oh-and you peasant:  work for free! Cause I the great and powerful $$-bags, am far superior to thee!~

8. ahorseback profile image54
    ahorsebackposted 4 years ago

My entire point is this....if you are unhappy with your life , your job , can't pay that $2500 dollar house payment and have a sailboat  , you are unemployed  now for two and a half years, take your  three masters degree's your new Toyota Landcruiser and get hungry ! Yes , get hungry.... and start at the bottom if you have to , find any job! Hell, start your own job , buy a hammer and some nails and call yourself a carpenter , start something , Buy a paintbrush and a drop cloth and put an add in the paper. Lesson number one ......the economy owes you zilch , your country owe's you nothing, and it's not Pres. Bushes or Obamas fault that youu are unhappy or hungry for that matter. Start with nothing , Like it used to be . And grow a life , grow a job.Grow a paycheck.  I am tired of college grads whining about corporate America not knocking on your doors with a big fat pay check .  The once great American culture is getting really good at  expecting someone to hand us something. You don't get the dream life after  the commencement exersizes, you actually have to earn it!