NC new hotbed for "birther" candidates. Are they for real?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I saw this Dr. John Whitley on Anderson Cooper tonight. I will have to find that clip. Anderson chewed him up good and spat him out.
    But the real question is -- do they honestly have nothing better to offer the citizens of North Carolina than Trump redux? Really?

North Carolina is apparently ground zero of the latest resurgence of the birther movement, as a number of Republican candidates in the state are expressing doubts about President Obama’s birthplace.

ThinkProgress has previously noted that Richard Hudson, running for a congressional seat in the state’s 8th district, said Obama is “hiding something on his citizenship,” while the Charlotte Observer rescinded its endorsement of Jim Pendergraph, running in the 9th district, after he expressed his own doubts about Obama’s birth certificate.

Now, the Observer reports that Dr. John Whitley, one of Hudson’s opponents in tomorrow’s GOP primary, has also gone birther. He declared Obama’s birth certificate a “poorly reproduced forgery” after comparing it to the Hawaiian birth certificate of one of his campaign workers. “There is a tremendous amount of smoke here,” Whitley said. “In fact, it’s called a smoke screen.”

Meanwhile, Ilario Pantano, running the 7th district, also has “real questions” about Obama’s birthplace. “The way I see this is whether he was born on the moon or Nicaragua or Honolulu, the bottom line is he has to be defeated in November,” Pantano said.

Tags:
    Birthers
    Election 2012
    North Carolina

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apparently it doesn't take much to excite a bunch of hillbillies. Even an email rumor that circulated in 2007.

2. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There could exist a proven authentic video of Obama's birth with beaches, palm trees and a 'Welcome to Hawaii' sign in the background, and it would all be 'fake.'

I bet this is the same crowd that keeps seeing Elvis (and Jesus) at the Dunkin' Donuts.

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've seen both Elvis and Jesus at Dunkin' Donuts.
        And Tupac. Although he's more of a Krispy Kreme guy.
        lol

1. Georgie Lowery profile image90
          Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I heard all the 'thugs' hit up the Krispy Kreme from time to time. wink

1. Josak profile image60
            Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This requires a song on the subject.

3. TomBlalock profile image70
      TomBlalockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As a native North Carolinian, let me assure you that you are indeed correct. There are people that stupid here. You should be here for the Amendment One stuff, its like a miniature civil war on facebook right now!

Not picking on you per se, but can you explain the new anti-gay marriage initiative that passed there?

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just don't get the problem with gay marriage, and I'm a Christian. Who are they hurting? Even my hubby, who's much more conservative than I am (and from NC), has no prob with gay marriage. If it's a sin, isn't it up to God to decide? And, BTW, there ARE gay Christians. I can't imagine not being able to marry the person I'm in love with. Why all the animosity? Are straight people afraid that making gay marriage legal will turn everyone gay?? I don't think it's catching.

I found this interesting, too. I read that a majority of African Americans are against gay marriage. That surprised me. When I was teaching, I noticed that my AA students were generally more accepting of students who were "different" -gay, mentally handicapped, physically handicapped, etc.

1. profile image0
            idratherbeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

President Obama says it's his opinion that gay marriage should be allowed, but with it not being a federal issue, it's up to states rights to make that determination. And I'm with you Habee! As a Christian, i have no problem with gay marriage! Let God decide!

2. TomBlalock profile image70
          TomBlalockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sure, I can. Sorry about the late reply. Basically, there are two sides. One I can understand, the other I can't. We'll start with the one most people see:

North Carolina is a Bible Belt, fundamentalist Christian state, in many places. Many of them lack the perspective, or care, to realize that the establishment clause separates the affairs of the church from the affairs of the state, and vice versa. They think it acceptable to enforce Christian laws and beliefs onto the laws of the state, a la Sharia law.

The second reason, which is hard to understand if you don't live here, or aren't a conservative Christian, is slightly more understandable. I'll use myself as an example, since I'm nearer the middle than most. I don't approve of many aspects of gay culture, or the way they act. I am perfectly alright with them having equal legal rights and status, and in fact even see the fourteenth amendment as a mandate for that as being the norm. However, to many people in the gay community, it is not enough that I accept them, I must also approve of them, or I am a bigot.

Personally, I can handle that, although it occasionally makes me angry. Others, though, the anger gets the better of them, and as many creatures do when angry, they lash out. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. I too wanted to vote for Amendment One, not because I believed it was right, but because I was angry at people who would not let me believe what I wish, and still respect their beliefs.

Unlike many in my state, though, I knew it to be unethical, and unconstitutional, whats more, so I did not vote for it.

So, there you are:
          Reason One: Belief that citizens of the U.S. should be held to the laws of the Bible
          Reason Two: Anger at the actions of the gay community.

I will stress that the first reason had far more to do with it, and that some also voted for it simply because they hate homosexuals. What I've said by no means covers all people, either, there are other reasons I'm sure, but those are the two I've seen.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Oh, I wish the far right would drop the birther thing! They're the right's version of the left's 9/11 truthers. You know it's bad when O'Reilly tells them to "Get over it. Obama was born in Hawaii." Must be the only time when the far right doesn't believe Bill. lol

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/birther-movement/

These "gotcha" questions by Anderson Cooper are reminiscent of Katie Couric and Sarah Palin. Painful.

1. habee profile image92

Ouch. It's really scary when someone as smart as a neurosurgeon believes that crap.

When he was introduced as a neurosurgeon I had high hopes that he would bring something new to the debate.
        It was pathetic. Shellacked by Anderson, who could barely contain his annoyance.
        And there's not just one NC birther candidate, either. A whole nest of em.

1. habee profile image92

Maybe the state is trying to make up for going for Obama in 2008. lol They're trying to prove that they're real southern rednecks.

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, Palin was offered the questions that Couric would ask her several days before the interview. She turned CNN down because she said it was insulting--even though everyone else takes the questions ahead time. Palin should be celebrated for her chutzpa and her take charge attitude, not for her mistakes. Just sayin...

Have you seen the movie "Game Change?"
        Chutzpah and take-charge attitude with the media.
        Oh lawdy, lawdy!
        smile

4. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

It's not only NC. Remember this?

Benjy Sarlin-December 30, 2011
    "Mitt Romney’s son, Matt Romney, suggested on Thursday that President Obama should release his birth certificate and grades before his father releases his tax returns."

Update: Matt Romney quickly clarified his remarks on Twitter via a brand new account that had never been used before. A spokeswoman for the Romney campaign confirmed to TPM that the account was indeed Romney’s son and that he had created it expressly to apologize.

“I repeated a dumb joke. My bad,” he tweeted.

There---all is forgiven, right? Wrong.

Btw...I went to Washington Post to link this, because it's a right-wing paper, and didn't want to be accused of bias...know how their article put it?

"Matt Romeny suggested Obama release his grades "among other things"....
    Taking away the birth certificate from his comment! How sweet..giving cover for Matt. Honest reporting in America. Hardly.

1. habee profile image92

WaPo a right-wing paper??? They endorsed Obama and used to be called "Pravda on the Potomac."

1. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"The Post's editorial positions on foreign policy and economic issues have seen a definitively conservative bent: it steadfastly supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq, warmed to President George W. Bush's proposal to partially privatize Social Security, opposed a deadline for U.S. withdrawal from the Iraq War, and advocated free trade agreements, including CAFTA.

In "Buying the War" on PBS, Bill Moyers noted 27 editorials supporting George W. Bush's ambitions to invade Iraq. National security correspondent Walter Pincus reported that he had been ordered to cease his reports that were critical of Republican administrations.

In 1992, the PBS investigative news program Frontline suggested that The Post had moved to the right in response to its smaller, more conservative rival The Washington Times, which is owned by News World Communications, an international media conglomerate owned by the Unification Church which also owns newspapers in South Korea, Japan, and South America. The program quoted Paul Weyrich, one of the founders of the conservative activist organization the Moral Majority, as saying "The Washington Post became very arrogant and they just decided that they would determine what was news and what wasn't news and they wouldn't cover a lot of things that went on. And The Washington Times has forced The Post to cover a lot of things that they wouldn't cover if the Times wasn't in existence." In 2008, Thomas F. Roeser of the Chicago Daily Observer also mentioned competition from the Washington Times as a factor moving The Post to the right.

On March 26, 2007, Chris Matthews said on his television program, "Well, The Washington Post is not the liberal newspaper it was, Congressman, let me tell you. I have been reading it for years and it is a neocon newspaper".

We all have our opinions, don't we.

1. habee profile image92

It's not an opinion that they endorsed Obama in 2008. It's a fact.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 03436.html

1. lovemychris profile image77
            lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"As Katharine Graham noted in her autobiography Personal History, the paper long had a policy of not making endorsements for political candidates. However, since at least 2000, The Washington Post has occasionally endorsed Republican politicians, such as Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich. In 2006, it repeated its historic endorsements of every Republican incumbent for Congress in Northern Virginia."

And? One endorsement for Obama vs Every R Incumbent for Congress in Northern Virginia. You think it's not right-wing, I think it is. Opinions.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

Somehow, I cannot see the Washington Post endorsing a ticket with Sarah Palin on it. Can you?
            The key will be to see who they endorse in 2012.

3. profile image0
            idratherbeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really, there's no way they would have backed McCain with Sarah Palin on the ticket. So they picked the best of two evils. Sound Familiar? Republicans picking Romney, even though they don't like him, but dislike President Obama more!

1. habee profile image92

I think the WaPo is fairly balanced. I certainly don't see them as right-wing, as does LMC.

5. Xenonlit profile image62
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

I loved that Anderson Cooper interview. He is usually very even handed, even a bit pandering to some interviewees, but this one infuriated Anderson because of the man's blatant lying, juvenile level of question dodging, and stubborn refusal to give up any facts to support his false claims.

No, these people are not for real. They are blatant liars and irrational racists who refuse to admit that they hate other races and religions so much that they would libel, slander and defame to get their way.

We have paid far too much attention to that useless, extremely repulsive, morally depraved, and tiny fringe minority.

I'm done here. Great topic, Mighty Mom.

6. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

It is all you are going to hear until the election, as derisive exploitation of minority anything, to pump the peasants with inanity while never ever discussing a single thing that has any merit, to get them to the voting booth to vote
    for the ruling class by proxy.

Please tell me the peasants are not really that stupid.
      Bush me once, shame on you.
      Bush me twice, shame on me.
      Bush me again with Romney just to kick out the black guy?
      That's beyond shameful.
      But they do say we get the government we deserve...

7. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Well I don't blame the people when 100% of the national news does nothing but spew propaganda in support of the top tier. Whose got time to figure
    out what is really going on? Wonder for how long
    the book '1984' has been the underground governing stragedy of American culture and politics? Certainy since 1963.The technology is now here to make it all so much more real.

8. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I will not rest until someone provides proof that Chester Arthur was not born in Canada.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HISTORICAL BREAKTHROUGH – PROOF: CHESTER ARTHUR CONCEALED HE WAS A BRITISH SUBJECT AT BIRTH

[I have collaborated on this with my sister and historian Greg Dehler, author of  "Chester Allan Arthur", Published by Nova Science Publishers, Incorporated, 2006  ISBN 1600210791, 9781600210792  192 pages. ]

I’ve been forwarded the actual naturalization record for William Arthur on microfiche, obtained from the Library of Congress.   He was naturalized in New York State and became a United States citizen in August 1843.

Chester Arthur perpetrated a fraud as to his eligibility to be Vice President by spreading various lies about his parents’ heritage.  President Arthur’s father, William Arthur, became a United States citizen in August 1843.  But Chester Arthur was born in 1829.  Therefore, he was a British Citizen by descent, and a dual citizen at birth, if not his whole life.

He wasn’t a “natural born citizen” and he knew it.

http://naturalborncitizen.wordpress.com … -at-birth/

Ah. But Arthur was a Republican.
        *ducks*
        Hi RB -- good research!
        smile

9. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

The problem is your politicians are too wrapped up into looking after their lobbyists for their districts.
    America is in deep doo doo, and these d#ckheads need to start looking at how to get your country back on track rather than worry about inconsequential crap like where Obama was born.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)