New Jersey town tickets for texting while walking

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

New Jersey town tickets for texting while walking
    Source: NewsCore
    FORT LEE, N.J. -- A New Jersey town took to ticketing pedestrians caught texting while walking after a rise in jaywalking incidents, reported Friday.

Police in Fort Lee., N.J., say people are constantly putting themselves at risk of being hit by cars because they do not pay attention while walking. … le-walking
    what about talking on the phone, or eating, or doing a crossword puzzle?

1. Aficionada profile image94
      Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good point!

We've experienced some incidents when someone talking on a cell phone stepped off the curb right in front of oncoming traffic, without looking first.  When they looked up and saw a car that had braked suddenly, the look in their eyes clearly indicated that they thought the driver was in the wrong.

As a matter of fact, in my own personal opinion, it seems to me that texting while walking would actually be safer than talking on a phone while walking.  That is - it seems to me - shifting attention from texting to observing traffic and other pedestrians is easier than shifting attention from listening and conversing to one's surroundings.  My opinion, of course.

2. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

Good, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is fed up with people distracted by their cell phones. Everywhere you go, you see people who are only half paying attention to what they are doing because their heads are down and their hands are busy. It's like they are all hypnotized zombies.