California's sudden deficit jump

1. 71
    logic,commonsenseposted 4 years ago

You guys in California deserve what you got when you voted for the incompetent Brown for governor and his party to control the legislature.
    $16 billion deficit and their estimate for tax receipts was over 3 billion below estimates made by the Dems.
    This is going to happen to many states unless the voters wake up. You really can't have your cake and eat it too.  Just ask Greece.  Even though they are still in denial, they are about to face the music.  They will be followed by several other European countries, as well as several states in this country.
    You can't kill the golden goose and still expect to get the golden eggs.
    We can't save everyone and if you try to save the drowning man while he is fighting you, you will go under too.  It is time to get real about the overspending. Either that or go down with the ship.

1. 0
      FPackposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I wonder how much Arnold Schwarzenegger and his brilliant budget-slashing  and "fiscal responsibilities" of 2004-2010 factor in to California's current fiscal mess...

2. cat on a soapbox profile image82
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

Governor Brown inherited a mess and has been forthright and honest in dealing with California's serious fiscal situation. Deep cuts are mandatory, and everyone has to stop whining about it. I'm tired of the protestors and unions who threaten to strike. WE HAVE NO MONEY!!!  Why? California's public pension fund (CALpers) was heavily invested in Enron and lost a great deal in its demise. The repeal of Glass-Steagull Act (signed by Clinton) allowed the commercial and investment banks to jump in bed together, and facilitated this and the further debacle of the bank collapse and subsequent bailouts. The committments to retirees with public pensions, incl.those within the teacher's union are unsustainable and are currently threatening to bankrupt our state. The blame game is over. It's time for EVERYONE to quit being greedy and make the sacrifices like the average Joe taxpayer. This includes politicians, corporations and their executives, and Union bosses and members.  When I read about teachers or public employess that are on PAID leave for bad behavior, I want to scream!!! Stop putting the blame ONLY on illegal immigrants. At least they do the grunt work everyone else is "above" doing. Governor Brown, in order to save California, has to make unpopular decisions, and he has the balls to do it!