jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Are we fixing or further breaking Africa?

1. sharmav profile image60
    sharmavposted 4 years ago

I have always had my apprehensions regarding monetary aid that goes in Africa.  Even missionaries, who go with best intentions, have done more damage than fixing things.  Continually helping haven't made Africa self sufficient.  They haven't learnt a bit. On the contrary we have made them dependent.  We continually try to get them to do things that aren't in their culture but just because we think it is the right thing to do we think they should do the same.

What do you think?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes the aid is not enough because of weather conditions, natural disasters, droughts...and yes, some corruption. I don't see Africans as a whole being dependent on others.

2. recommend1 profile image69
      recommend1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Africa has been stripped of its resources by all the colonising powers without seeing the financial benefits inside Africa.  The free labour that came with weapons superiority was used to death, literally.  The current governments are kept destabilised, and little more than slave masters in many places, by continued interference and imported corrunption.  In the image of their masters most of African government is corrupted and without care or compassion for their peoples.

China is getting heavily involved in Africa at this time and there is a chance that with the changes in the way that China interferes in foreign government from the previous manner of interference of the colonial powers the changes will be for the better. We will have to wait and see I guess, but it is hard to imagine that it could be worse than the horrors of the Congo, Uganda, and all the other places where colonial greed has caused genocide on a massive scale.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

I read they are re-colonizing Africa.

3. 0
    wongomowaleposted 4 years ago

The money goes to Africa for political reasons. It’s done to ensure that Africans leaders stay in line with what the West wants. During the Cold War this aid was going towards supporting anti-communist dictators such as Mobutu and Bokassa. When the West encounters men like Thomas Sankara who opt to shun Western aid and develop his nation through self-reliance, they see him as a threat. Most of the West’s policies towards Africa are only there to maintain their control of African resources.