While you debate Obama's birth

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (35 posts)
  1. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

George W. Bush Convicted of War Crimes, Can’t Leave U.S. Fearing Arrest

"In what is the first ever conviction of its kind anywhere in the world, the former US President and seven key members of his administration were yesterday (Fri) found guilty of war crimes.

Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and their legal advisers Alberto Gonzales, David Addington, William Haynes, Jay Bybee and John Yoo were tried in absentia in Malaysia.

The trial held in Kuala Lumpur heard harrowing witness accounts from victims of torture who suffered at the hands of US soldiers and contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan."

The court heard how

■ Abbas Abid, a 48-year-old engineer from Fallujah in Iraq had his fingernails removed by pliers.
    ■ Ali Shalal was attached with bare electrical wires and electrocuted and hung from a wall.
    ■ Moazzam Begg was beaten, hooded and put in solitary confinement.
    ■ Jameelah was stripped and humiliated, and was used as a human shield whilst being transported by helicopter.

My eternal gratitude for someone taking this seriously, when my own country won't.

1. handymanbill profile image76
      handymanbillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your always great for putting up links to stuff. Where are your links??

1. Josak profile image61
        Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://www.tehrantimes.com/world/97792- … ar-crimes/

it does not mean much in a legal sense, he cannot be arrested or anything but there was a full hearing and trial and he was found guilty.

2. JSChams profile image59
        JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why would you expect links to a kangaroo court?

1. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually it was far from a 'kangaroo' court, the judiciary took particular care to observe all of the requirements for international law, it may not have been a court you care to recognise, but it was conducted in accordance with internationally recognised law.

Don't think that Malayans are some inferior species, they were trained by the British, and the law is based upon English law, which is one of the most proven in history.

1. JSChams profile image59

I never said anyone was an inferior species. Get in reality.
            That means absolutely nothing if there is nothing to back it up and there isn't. if it makes progressives feel like they are in afterglow fine. I am amazed at people who claim to be for progress and remain in their hatred because that's all you have.
            Want to prove something to someone? Why won't Barack Obama and Eric Holder prosecute them? Hmmm?
            Because they know they actually have nothing. That's right....nothing.

I am hardly what could be called a 'progressive' if anything I would be described as a right winger through and through, but I am not blinded by patriotism either, and there have been a multitude of war crimes committed by these guys.

Close your eyes if you will, that's understood, millions of Germans did the same thing in WW2.

The current administration would no sooner prosecute than any previous or future likely would, not for lack of evidence, but because America has deemed itself the ruler of the world, and assumes that it can do as it likes, with no regard to law, morality or ethics.

The British Empire also suffered this illusion, and it also collapsed, or more to the point imploded, once the cost of running an empire became too high, and the people refused to support it further.

If the Serbs can be considered war criminals, then your previous and present administration are also guilty as charged, but will not face any court, unless the people elect someone who is not controlled by the Rothschild's.

So you are safe in your illusions, until they employ the same tactics on your own population.

No I am not under illusions, however true progress is going to involve getting out of the past and moving forward. That's something the progressives claim to do but never show evidence.
                This is firmly proven by wishing for Conservatives to embrace "new ideas" which are not new at all.
                I apologize if I insulted you by deeming you a progressive.

Not insulted, no problem, I can agree with moving forward, even though it actually means we need to move backwards to more solid ground, ground based upon old fashioned moral values and hard work, with reward for labour achieved in a free market economy, unhindered by government intervention.

It made America great once, and it could restore what folk worldwide sought to achieve when they saw it was possible.

We (all ) lost our way and allowed trendy social experimentalism to water down what was once a strong resolve and determination to do the right thing, that was a common feature of the British Empire and the one the Americans started creating.

But descending to the moral ineptitude of our opponents is not the way to win any peace, we beat the Germans and the Japanese by sheer determination and holding to a moral code, which they disregarded.

The current wars will be lost for the reason that we seem to have abandoned decency.

Yes the enemy will exploit decency, but the people we are trying to win over to our viewpoint, will respect us and eventually depose their own indecent protagonists.

We should use an iron fist against those who seek to harm others, no matter who they are, and a kid glove to those who are in harms way.

This is why the phenomenon of the Tea party came about because our political system consisted of Republicans and Democrats calling each other all manner of things in Congress by day and going to dinner together for surf and turf at night. That's been the status quo and now some of the RINO's are discovering that the party is over. Just ask Richard Lugar and take a look at what is happening in Nebraska.

2. lovemychris profile image77
                  lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Somehow I think you would jump for joy to go after Obma....it's just Bushco you want protected, imo.

Move on, get Obama!

I am not concerned with protecting him, You just use him as your talisman to embody what you hate.

If there was anything anybody in our justice system thought they could do, and why would they want to?....they would do so. All the people that hate George Bush just because he is breathing the same earthly air as them? In power NOW?

They know they can't and that's why they don't

2. Repairguy47 profile image59
                Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Americans are a strange lot, we don't blindly follow a ruler or a self proclaimed deity. When we feel that something is a threat we get rid of it, the British and Germans of those eras were an undereducated group that wanted to be taken care of, we simply are not like that.

3. JSChams profile image59

Also they will not prosecute for the same reason that Robert Byrd stated he would not vote to convict Bill Clinton. It sets a precedent that can be used later and they don't want that. It makes things such as impeachment with conviction afterward too easy.
                Basically they have their little cocoon right or left and don't want it smashed.
                There are however people on here who think we should be gravely concerned about George Bush a full term after he has been gone. That's so you won't worry about the latest loser.

Agreed

Ok now we have common ground.

smile

4. justmesuzanne profile image87
                justmesuzanneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good comment, Aquasilver.

@ lovemychris: I agree that the Obama birthplace "issue" is nothing but a red herring to distract the masses. I would like to see some sources for your information, though.

It came up on my twitter account, from someone I follow. I didn't bother to link, because anyone can look it up if they want to.

Believe it--dismiss it, whatever. I have waited 11 years to hear this. And though it was not my country....with Obama signing us up for international law again....maybe just maybe they will act.

Because face it, here we are owned.  We are so afraid of this cabal that they say jump, and we say how high.

......except, maybe just maybe this is coming to justice. Maybe and I hope so very much that it's true.
                  It would change everything. overnight.

2. aguasilver profile image70

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio … 09215.html

Al Jazeera are good enough to be taken seriously, and sometimes they offer a much broader view on world events than you may see in the northern hemisphere media.

Yes, my adoptive country did hold the trial, and they were found guilty, and if they visit me, they will be arrested, but more significantly, the trial transcript of evidence against them has been forwarded to the International War Crimes Court, which in itself is still an ineffective body, but the pressure could mount.

But would proud America ever send them for trial?

Extradition seems to be restricted to those the USA want to indite, and those are normally Mr DotCom or some autistic hacker rather than folk who kill millions of people.

Guess it's a matter of priorities.

People are disposable, but corporate profits of Hollywood are not.

3. shea duane profile image60
      shea duaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Lovemychris, I have not even heard of this. I'll check it out.

I wonder what the native countries those folks came from have done to others....their own people included.
        Grow up folks.

4. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glad one country finally has the guts to say it.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me, too.

2. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

I did a search and found plenty of links saying that. BUT,none of the addys look credable enough to click on. I would fear getting a virus with some of those link addresses. lol

3. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

10 years late but I think we're getting there. Good job Malaysia! Tony Blair needs to be next, followed by Barack Obama.

Blair's own country is looking into him....aren't they?

certainly a co-conspirator and that man who spoke about "sexed-up documents" found dead and hanging under a bridge.

I want justice for you, brother. A speaker of Truth.

1. innersmiff profile image65
        innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There was an investigation that in combination with other revelations found Blair and his cohorts guilty of war crimes, but they have yet to receive a punishment. Similarly, the David Kelly investigation was a complete whitewash.

4. Reality Bytes profile image76
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

That Harvard pamphlet requires some explaining though.  smile

5. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

"After requesting a meeting with NATO leaders this week, Iraq Veterans Against the War and Afghanistan Veterans Against the War committee are gearing up to lead this weekend's historic march on the NATO Summit in Chicago where veterans will symbolically turn in their medals to NATO reps.

"We were awarded these medals for serving in the Global War on Terror, a war based on lies and failed polices," stated Army Reserve/National Guardsman who is leading the the former troops this weekend, Aaron Hughes.

He said he wants to let soldiers serving in any of the post- 9/11 conflict zones. “… know that we’re standing by their side and we’re not standing with NATO anymore.

"We don’t agree with the policies that are driving these wars.”

maybe, just maybe.......

http://www.examiner.com/article/iraq-ve … to-protest

1. justmesuzanne profile image87
      justmesuzanneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reference! Reshared on FaceBook! smile

Apparently---this NATO summit is going to be a big clash between protestors and the world police....

They picked Chicago, a great place with a documented record of police overkill and brutality for anyone who questions the conventional wisdom. Here's a link to an important article that explains what's wrong with our foreign policy establisment's strategic thinking.

"Grand Flattery: The Yale Grand Strategy Seminar"

http://www.thenation.com/article/167807 … gy-seminar

6. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Yea - I was only yesterday wondering what is the symbolism of Chicago. NATO in the stockyards of America. Or is it some kind of present to Rahm emanuel.

It may have been more of an unintentional present to the demonstrators because the Chicago police proved at the Democratic convention which nominated Hubert Humphrey that they can be relied on to break heads and tear gas demonstrators exercising their first amendment rights.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)